BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Fighting Fantasy Style event cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Smith
England
flag msg tools
Hi there

I'm currently designing a co-op board game, 1-4 players, each player with different class and special abilities with one or more traitors.

I want to try and pay homage to Fighting Fantasy books by incorporating a multiple choice outcome on the event card itself, e.g. "your ship is sinking, do you.." , A. fix leak, B. ignor problem . I know Dead of Winter has choices , but are there any games which have hidden answers, like in the fantasy books you'd turn to page 32 for example.
Maybe answers would be on the other side of the card or hidden somehow?
Anyone with any suggestions would be great

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Haven't played it but have seen some videos, and this is what Gloomhaven does with its event cards. The results of the two choices are written on the back.

I think that's a bit weird since if you put the cards face up, you'll know which event is next and if you have them face down, you can see the two answers. You could keep the cards in a tuckbox, I guess.

Or you could make a small booklet that has all the results of all the cards scattered throughout. "If you fix the leak, go to section 38. If you ignore the problem, go to section 109." Heck, even make the cover of this booklet to look like the Fighting Fantasy books as an homage. That way the cards can be kept in a deck, and there'll be less chance of a player reading both outcomes if you want to keep the not-chosen outcome a secret until it's selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, MegaConGame's Banner Saga does this?

Of course, you'll want the same event for multiple cards, so players who've seen the even won't pick the "right" solution. Or, you could have the event choices not result in helpful and not helpful results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
England
flag msg tools
cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.