Popular Tags: [View All]
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played most of the Inferno campaign with the kids but then they wanted to switch to Pets, so we started over and played all of that instead.

Once we played the final scenario I wasn't quite sure how to answer them when they asked who had won. There isn't anything in the Pets book about it so I tried to apply the 'end of the campaign' section from the Inferno rulebook.

We figured the player that dealt the killing blow to Vexia won the equivalent of the 'Savior of Arcadia' title. Then we went through and figured out which guild won which medals and the guild that won the most of them got the 'Power Behind the Throne' award. So, is that it? No 1st, 2nd, 3rd; just a couple of random titles for the 'last-hit' and 'most medals' guilds and the whole campaign is over?

It seemed pretty anti-climactic although the kids didn't mind too much. Were the rules the same in the original Arcadia Quest as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
Were the rules the same in the original Arcadia Quest as well?

Yup. The guild that deals the killing blow against the End Boss wins the game.

In a way I like it. No matter how bad (or unlucky) you play during the campaign, as long as you play it well in the last scenario that is all that matters when you want to win the campaign.
That way you can't predict who is going to win until the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
There are 2 ways to look at it -

One if to pick a specific winner, which the rules say goes to who lends the killing blow. Personally I don't like it much as in the base game it really comes down to almost pure luck (everyone are in the room with the bad guys shooting till someone gets that last point)

The other option is the medals option. This won't tell you who is the single winner, but it will give you an evaluation on how everyone did. We play it as the people with the height medal count win and shared victory in a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before reading the body of the post my thought was, "You play another one!"

But unfortunately, yes. Those are the rules of the base game and you're playing it as intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

One if to pick a specific winner, which the rules say goes to who lends the killing blow. Personally I don't like it much as in the base game it really comes down to almost pure luck (everyone are in the room with the bad guys shooting till someone gets that last point)

The other option is the medals option. This won't tell you who is the single winner, but it will give you an evaluation on how everyone did. We play it as the people with the height medal count win and shared victory in a tie.

But that's why I like it. One player may have the most titles and gold, another the most rewards and yet another may be the "official" winner because last blow.
Everybody happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give everybody a participation trophy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Teowulff wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:

But that's why I like it. One player may have the most titles and gold, another the most rewards and yet another may be the "official" winner because last blow.
Everybody happy.

The campaign reward structure is the thing that needs most improvement in this game.
The one scenario to win them all is just bad.
It should at least award a larger-than-normal amount of medals to whoever kills the main villain so they have a chance at catch-up, but simply throwing it to someone who gets a lucky hit after lagging behind for the rest of the campaign is just going to sour it for those who have been doing well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bouncy wrote:
The campaign reward structure is the thing that needs most improvement in this game.
It should at least award a larger-than-normal amount of medals to whoever kills the main villain so they have a chance at catch-up, but simply throwing it to someone who gets a lucky hit after lagging behind for the rest of the campaign is just going to sour it for those who have been doing well.

It depends on how you look at it. It's rather discouraging for my co-players if I win every time!

This way everbody knows there's still a chance to win until the very end, even if you don't have the best heroes or the best equipment. Othwerwise it would be very hard to catch up with a runaway lader. And it wouldn't make sense playing on after scenario 4 if one player already has by far the most titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Bouncy wrote:

It depends on how you look at it. It's rather discouraging for my co-players if I win every time!

This way everbody knows there's still a chance to win until the very end, even if you don't have the best heroes or the best equipment. Othwerwise it would be very hard to catch up with a runaway lader. And it wouldn't make sense playing on after scenario 4 if one player already has by far the most titles.

I agree.
There are players who wouldn't bother playing the end if they already knew the winner. They'd think what's the point?
Or a few that wouldn't play because they knew they will not win.

I like it the way it is. And underdogs can still win.
Then talk about who gets a runners up with most whatever collected and most Monsters killed, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At the end of a campaign?

We feast and drink and be merry!
Then we pass our from all the celebrations!

And when we awake, we find ourselves back on the outskirts, while Arcadia has once again been taken over by some would be evil doer....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
cottondonkey wrote:

I agree.
There are players who wouldn't bother playing the end if they already knew the winner. They'd think what's the point?
Or a few that wouldn't play because they knew they will not win.

By the same logic, there are players who have no interest in playing a game that's basically just a random die roll.

Might as well just roll a die and save yourself the time.

That is why I listed both options. Everyone can do whatever the heck they want. There's no wrong or right way to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:

By the same logic, there are players who have no interest in playing a game that's basically just a random die roll.
Might as well just roll a die and save yourself the time.

That is why I listed both options. Everyone can do whatever the heck they want. There's no wrong or right way to have fun.

Except in this case, you are still competing in the scenario. Except some people obtained good equipment, some people obtained rewards and someone may not have been so fortunate.

I agree with you 100% on the no right way to have fun.
I'm not telling anyone how to play. I'm just saying my view.

I'd totally use your options for runners up or other types of wins.
Someone else might use them for the win conditions.

All in all, if you had fun and can be excited about it after, we are all winners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Give everybody a participation trophy.

I know you are being facetious but I kind of wish there was a way to give everyone some kind of award based on the sum total of everything that happened in the campaign. Like:

The "Punching Bag" Award for the most deaths to monsters goes to -- the Tiger Guild!

The "Price is Right" Award for spending the most on upgrades goes to -- the Shark Guild!

etc...

I was just wishing the end of the campaign would be a more fun wrap-up of all 6 games and not just boil down to who makes the last lucky dice roll. I guess nothing is stopping me from handling that however I want though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeshua Siplak
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I don't remember where I read it on the original games' forum but I've since implemented a variant where points are awarded to scenario winners, achievements, and medals.

Since winning the whole scenario is a pretty big deal it's worth more points overall. The breakdown tends to go

Games 1, 2 and 3
Scenario Winner - 2 points
Each Achievement - 1 point

Games 4 and 5
Scenario Winner - 4 Points
Achievements - 2 points

Game 6
Scenario Winner - 6 points
Acheivements - 3 points

Each Medal at the end is an extra point.

So winning the final scenario is still a huge swing as it should be, and if you can pick up a handful of achievements throughout the game you should be able to win with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of developing a "guild with the most coins" structure. Here are my thoughts:

1. Increase the gold reward for 1st to complete quests. PvP quests default to say 5 gold, PvE default to 4 gold. Subsequent completions are worth 3 gold for PvE and 2 gold for PvE. These are the rewards for the QUESTS and do not count the gold reward for killing the hero/monster. (Reasoning: You have to increase the reward for 1st to complete to create incentive to complete quickly, otherwise each round will devolve into monster/hero kill farming.) Particularly difficult quests such as Kill Lord Fang/Kill Schmetterling might be pointed at 6 gold instead. I don't think Lord Fang has a gold value, so you might actually need to make the final quest against Lord Fang (or whatever Final Boss) worth more to compensate.

2. After upgrades, guilds choose whether or not to carry 1 gold over to the next scenario. The guild then "banks" all remaining gold and this becomes the guild's score for the round. Easy to tell this way which guild is "ahead".

3. Upgrades will then become a difficult choice, do you spend coins on upgrades or do you bank it for final game scoring?

4. The campaign categories of Least Deaths, Most Coins, and Won Scenario can also have a coin value (+2, +2, +3) that goes directly to the guild bank. The Title and Reward categories would be rewarded by the quest completion giving a coin bonus. So no additional coins allotted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely dislike houseruling when it's not really necessary.

Because when you play with different people that also have the game you have a problem.
Let alone when there's mulitiple people that have the game. All playing their different versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, do not house rule unless it has become unplayable. The way the campaign ends is not good, jt it is the least bad one. I play Arcadia for the sheer fun o playing and codnt care for whoever wins. I try bold turns and aim to win, but losing doesnt feel like losing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hat and Watch wrote:
I don't remember where I read it on the original games' forum but I've since implemented a variant where points are awarded to scenario winners, achievements, and medals.

Since winning the whole scenario is a pretty big deal it's worth more points overall. The breakdown tends to go

Games 1, 2 and 3
Scenario Winner - 2 points
Each Achievement - 1 point

Games 4 and 5
Scenario Winner - 4 Points
Achievements - 2 points

Game 6
Scenario Winner - 6 points
Acheivements - 3 points

Each Medal at the end is an extra point.

So winning the final scenario is still a huge swing as it should be, and if you can pick up a handful of achievements throughout the game you should be able to win with it.

In last Scenario there is only 1 achivement, and that is Kill Lord Fang, and who makes that quest is automaticaly winner of Scenario, so that would be 9 point immediately.

When we were playing campaign first time I win but it feels a little shallow (in rules said that with 3 medals you are a shallow winner), on the second campaign I was much better and win again, and it still didn feel right because of lucky shot (my girlfriend made mistake both time by dazing Lord Fang). Maybe in BtG is a little better because only CRIT hit final boss, so it is harder to get final hit/wound and win.

But now I dont care anymore, it is a great game, killing final boss is tactical (dont go all in with best weapon, because you can make 99% of wounds and next only make final hit).

The medal system is also great, but main thing in this game is, that you must have a great time roaming thru dungeon and killing monsters, heroes, and making quests. Afterall it is a "push your luck" game, and it is my N°1 game, and will be (at least till Massive Darkness comes to me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neversummer m
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play it is that there are simply 2 goals of the campaign - one to gather most medals and one to kill last Boss.
You focus on working towards medals during each scenario and the final showdown has a bonus goal.

If you accomplish a goal you are given the associated title and can brag about it however you like. You can think of the scenario-specific titles as additional minor ones to weave into your bragging.

There is no 'winner' (unless one guild accomplishes both goals which leads to some serious trash-talk and promises of revenge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Castle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
tadej1986 wrote:

In last Scenario there is only 1 achivement, and that is Kill Lord Fang, and who makes that quest is automaticaly winner of Scenario, so that would be 9 point immediately.

Killing Lord Fang would grant the Scenario Winner and then there are Least Deaths and Most Coins as achievenments to play for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.