Hide
9 Posts

Lewis & Clark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Resource Collection Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CL Gamer
msg tools
I have a further question that I didn't realize was a question till I read some other posts round here....now I am confused....

For solo: When I am collecting resources do I count all the badges on my played cards (including the powered and non-powered (upside down) cards) AND unplayed cards and the Indian village? It seems some are indicating that I don't count the "unplayed" cards in my hand.

For multi: When I am collecting resources do I count all the badges on my played cards (including the powered and non-powered (upside down) cards) AND unplayed cards and all the same of my R & L neighbors?

Basically my question is do I count the resource badges of "yet to be played" cards when totaling the amounts? I took "playing area" to mean all cards not just the ones that have been to used to for their function or to power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
No you do not count unplayed cards, I'm not 100% certain about solo, but for MP, I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in your hand are not in your playing area until you've powered them with another card or NA, therefore they cannot be used to produce resources.

For solo, you use the cards in your playing area as well as the tokens in the village that have at least one NA figure in their space. If there are no NA figures in the village, none of the tokens will generate any resources for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only badges that are counted are those in your play area (on the table in front of you) and in the play areas of the opponents on your immediate right and left. Cards in hand do NOT count.

In solitaire play, you also count the badges on village positions which have an Indian present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CL Gamer
msg tools
Then I have been mistaken indeed...collecting too many resources.

On a side note then...when playing multiplayer I have been leaving all hands open rather than hidden. Do most people play with cards in hand hidden?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't adressed directly on the manual, but by the way they depict you hand of cards (fanned as you hold them in your hand instead of side by side on the table) and by the language used (i.e: "you have to play a card from from your hand") I always considered your hand to be hidden information, and I've seen the same in other groups I've played the game with and on tutorial videos. The other players don't need to know that I'm gonna make a big move using wood on the next turn but they probably can suspect it from the cards I've been recruiting. The only open cards are the ones that have already been played face-up.

Everyone starts with the same cards, and everyone sees when you recruit someone, but they don't need to know exactly what your strategy may be at the moment or if you only have a bunch of cards that you can't really do a lot with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play hidden hands, but all of the info is open. Someone paying attention can know what's in everyone's hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
I play hidden hands, but all of the info is open. Someone paying attention can know what's in everyone's hand.

It's a classic case of "hidden but trackable" information. You can keep the hands open if you prefer. The argument for keeping them hidden (in this or any game with this kind of info) is that for those of us who aren't trying too hard to keep track, there is less information to work with when making a decision -- meaning less opportunity for analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Gutiérrez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only this, but also when you play a card to "power" another card, you play it face down, so your opponents don't necessarily know which of the cards of your hand you have used to power it up. Therefore, the cards you still have in your hand for subsequent turns are unknown for your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.