Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tournament rules state:
"Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of Star Wars: Armada. This includes all ship and squadron models, bases, pegs, ship cards, squadron cards, ship tokens, obstacles, upgrade cards, objective cards, and tokens. In addition, they must bring a damage deck, sufficient dice for attack rolls, a maneuver tool, and a range ruler. When a fleet list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out."

Is this really enforced for upgrade cards? That seems...excessive since in theory it would require me doing things like buying multiple base sets since there appears to be no way to buy cards. I'd prefer answers from regional or above. I'm just getting into this game and that surprised me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nickjost wrote:
Is this really enforced for upgrade cards? That seems...excessive since in theory it would require me doing things like buying multiple base sets since there appears to be no way to buy cards. I'd prefer answers from regional or above. I'm just getting into this game and that surprised me.

Yes. You must own the card - no proxies are allowed for tournaments. If you don't want to buy a whole set for a single card, try to buy individuals off ebay, trade, or borrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjost wrote:
The tournament rules state:
"Players are responsible for bringing all of the game components they need to play a game of Star Wars: Armada. This includes all ship and squadron models, bases, pegs, ship cards, squadron cards, ship tokens, obstacles, upgrade cards, objective cards, and tokens. In addition, they must bring a damage deck, sufficient dice for attack rolls, a maneuver tool, and a range ruler. When a fleet list is required, players should bring a completed list or arrive at the venue early to fill one out."

Absolutely. Both X-Wing and Armada observe this rule. If you don't have a particular card, you should not include it in your list for a tournament.

During casual games people will often use proxies for such things. Moreover, teams or groups of friends often loan each other cards for tournaments. However, if you show up to a table for a tournament game without your full complement of ship and upgrade cards you should be prepared to forfeit.

There is not much reason to buy multiple base sets. I own one of each. However, you may find it useful to purchase multiple ship blisters for this purpose. Sometimes, individual cards are available for sale or you may get lucky and someone will be selling their ships/collections more cheaply than you'd get them for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauziz
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The preferable thing would likely to be contact your local play group and see if you could borrow an upgrade card for the length of the tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how you get 4-ship X-Wing squadrons that are "tournament level" and cost $200+ . . . you have to buy all those other ships for the cards if you want to compete at tourney-levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nicholson
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
This is how you get 4-ship X-Wing squadrons that are "tournament level" and cost $200+ . . . you have to buy all those other ships for the cards if you want to compete at tourney-levels.

Or you have a modicum of common sense and do what most people do and use trade sites/ebay to purchase the cards separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drgnslyr12 wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Or you have a modicum of common sense and do what most people do and use trade sites/ebay to purchase the cards separately.

Only a modicum of common sense? Wow that is a stark difference, isn't it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.