Subject: Help Understanding Retrograde rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone (simply) explain Retrograde? Maybe with some examples? The rules just aren't doing it for me. I'm currently playing the second scenario (as I follow along in the rule book) and this is the one thing I'm having trouble with that is confusing me the most. When can I do it? When can I not? Is it just fancy talk for a chit range of negative?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Retrograde is moving backwards. You can do it any time you can legally move as long as you don't decrease relative range less than 0, and you can only go backwards into a negative range chit if you use a movement card with a RED RNC (the number in the upper right corner must be red).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are trying to retreat a group towards a negative range chit, there are a couple of extra rules.

1) At least one enemy group has to be closer than RR0.

2) The movement card has to have a Red RNC number on it.

This mostly is used in a few scenarios where the defender is trying to run away: D, P, Q, V I can't give a realism argument for the rule, but it balances rear guard action or retreating scenarios--it'd be too easy to keep distance from the attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think I see. So you can move to a negative chit range but still be at RR of 0 or greater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Say you're at range chit 0 in group A. Your opponent's group A is at Range chit 1,2,3,4, or 5. You can move to a red -1 range chit, but you have to use a Movement card with a Red RNC to go to a negative range chit.

If your opponent was also at Range chit 0, then you could NOT move retrograde because you are not allowed to decrease the relative range less than 0.

Example:

Your opponent in Group A is at Range Chit 3.

Your Group A moves retrograde from Range Chit -1 to Range Chit -2 using a red RNC movement card.

The Relative range between the two groups is 3 plus -2 = 1. You could even move backwards legally one more time even if he doesn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dirk
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
truep wrote:
Say you're at range chit 0 in group A. Your opponent's group A is at Range chit 1,2,3,4, or 5. You can move to a red -1 range chit, but you have to use a Movement card with a Red RNC to go to a negative range chit.

If your opponent was also at Range chit 0, then you could NOT move retrograde because you are not allowed to decrease the relative range less than 0.

Example:

Your opponent in Group A is at Range Chit 3.

Your Group A moves retrograde from Range Chit -1 to Range Chit -2 using a red RNC movement card.

The Relative range between the two groups is 3 plus -2 = 1. You could even move backwards legally one more time even if he doesn't move.

I should print, cut this out and tape it in my manual. Thank you. Now that makes sence!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you reconcile rule 5.62 then? If I'm retreating guy I'm advocating to shift things so I have less red chits. If I'm assaulting guy I'm making sure not to agree to do that. Since it has to be mutually agreed upon then assaulting guy gets his way I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
How do you reconcile rule 5.62 then? If I'm retreating guy I'm advocating to shift things so I have less red chits. If I'm assaulting guy I'm making sure not to agree to do that. Since it has to be mutually agreed upon then assaulting guy gets his way I guess.

I don't recommend changing range chits during the game using this rule, for this vary reason.

Later AH included range chits to 9. And counter replacement cards have the Long Range card will get to +11. Either of which should almost eliminate the need for Rule 5.62.

The only scenarios where Long & Retrograde ranges commonly occur are:
D- Rear Guard action (Attacker wins @ Relative Range 5, not Range Chit 5--the defender runs away!)
Q - Delaying Action (ditto)
V - Ambush (Attacker wins by breaking defender's squad---Run Away!)
W - Surrounded (Attacker starts at with half of force at Range Chit 10, the defender facing a two front battle, doesn't have to follow the retrograde rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.