Subject: Questions regarding Titan on Attack cards and Wounds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Perry
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) About the Titan on Attack cards, do you only draw these when you are about to give the killing blow to the Archenemy titan or every time you attack it? I can't tell based on the rule book. I tried the game both ways and drawing one for every time you attack it made it seem way too hard.

2) With the wound cards, how exactly do you die? I know you die if you ever have 2 in your hand at once. But I am confused about dying when you receive a wound. So say I had drawn a wound on my turn. At the end a titan attacks and i have to take a wound. Do I die or does the wound just go into my discard pile? Can you ever take more than one wound card at a time? Like take both wounds if an Archenemy is going to destroy a wall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) For the killing blow.

2) My understanding is that you die:
a) if you gain a wound while you have one in play.
b) if you have to play a wound while you already have one in play.

And I think you can gain several wounds at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
1) For the killing blow.

2) My understanding is that you die:
a) if you gain a wound while you have one in play.
b) if you have to play a wound while you already have one in play.

And I think you can gain several wounds at the same time.

Correct.
Refer to the rules, and the text on the Wound card itself. Seriously, the card has most everything you need to know.

You only die if you have a Wound
_in play_ and either play a second one, or gain another one.
Having two (or more) in your hand does not kill you, it's playing them both that kills you.

If you have no Wounds in play you can gain as many Wounds as you want. Nothing bad happens just from gaining them.

If you do have a Wound in play, you can still gain all the Wounds that you want, you'll just die after. This can be a decent emergency tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1. Draw a Titans on Attack card only after you've played all the cards from your hand you want to play and you're attempting to defeat the Titan (aka 'buy' it / land the killing blow by beating the number in the shield icon).

Cards can be held back, though it's only really useful to possibly stop an Ambush effect triggered off the Titans on Attack card.

2. The only time Wounds kill you are:

During your turn, you draw two or more Wounds from your deck, either as your opening hand or triggered off other cards. Card draw can be dangerous while you have a Wound!

After Wall Defense, if you block damage to the Walls while having a Wound in play. As mentioned you can block any amount of Wall damage all at once, at a single location.

What trips a lot of people up is the scenario where you have a Wound in play from your last turn and you draw a second one in your next hand. This doesn't kill your Hero. A Wound from the previous turn is discarded at the start of your turn, before you play any cards. Even two Wounds in hand is not immediately fatal, as there are cards and Armin's Hero power that can swap/discard cards from other player's hands before your turn starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
During your turn, you drawplay two or more Wounds from your deck, either as your opening hand or triggered off other cards.

Fixed.
You sort of corrected yourself later, but for the sake of accuracy having wounds in hand is not what kills you. It's playing multiples on the same turn that does it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wise
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Refer to the rules, and the text on the Wound card itself. Seriously, the card has most everything you need to know.

Yes and no, it isn't very articulated very well.

https://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=49059&page=1 last post

Quote:
Thank you, but I think I need to clarify the second question.

Here's a situation.

Armin Arlert shares a district with Erin Yeager. Armin Arlert plays a Wound, then two Thrust cards. He then plays Thomas Wagner to draw a card, and he draws a Wound.

The Wound states that it must be played before other cards. However, using Armin Arlert's ability is not playing a card.

Can I pay 3 Move to pass the Wound before playing cards that turn?

Along that line of thought, can I choose not to play any cards in a turn to avoid dying?

https://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=49059&page=2 first post

Quote:
"playing cards" is shorthand for "before proceeding with another game action, including ending your turn."
So, no, you can't use Armin's ability or hold them in hand.

If I'm reading this correctly, you MUST play all of your wounds if any before you end your turn, which the card's text does articulates horribly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CodeAndReload wrote:
grarrrg wrote:

Yes and no, it isn't very articulated very well....

I did say "most everything" not "absolutely everything".
Also, the rules/card-itself do answer every Wound question he asked in the original post.

The only thing not covered (which wasn't directly asked in the original post, but was potentially implied) was if you could gain multiple wounds if you currently had one in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
grarrrg wrote:
Fire_Forever wrote:
During your turn, you drawplay two or more Wounds from your deck, either as your opening hand or triggered off other cards.

Fixed.
You sort of corrected yourself later, but for the sake of accuracy having wounds in hand is not what kills you. It's playing multiples on the same turn that does it.

During your turn, you MUST play Wounds as soon as they're drawn, so there is no difference between draw/play. Play is a bit more inclusive I suppose, if for some reason a player was silly enough to swap another Hero's Wound into their hand while they already had one... Can't think of a situation that would be desirable except perhaps a very fringe case where second player had their best cards in hand and a Wound in play and it was more advantageous for the first player's Hero to die than theirs. *shrugs*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
During your turn, you MUST play Wounds as soon as they're drawn, so there is no difference between draw/play. Play is a bit more inclusive I suppose

Was more referring to situations like:
You have one wound and play it. Then you play a bread and get rid of it. Then you play a card that lets you draw and you get another wound.
You don't die because you never had 2 played at the same time, even though you had 2 (or more) on the same turn.

And since you can mess with the turn order, you can have a hand start with 2+ wounds, but make someone else go first and possibly wind up with one or none through their card plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
*nods* True, I wonder if there's a better wording possible for the Wound card? Wounds are probably one of the more complicated mechanics in this game just due to how many ways they interact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There wasn't room to write:

Play all Wounds in your hand at all times during your turn, prior to taking any other game action, including ending your turn.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I feel you - having mostly wrapped up the first revisions of a new 100-ish AoT cards, the space constraints are real. I've definitely cheated and gone beyond four lines for a number of them. :c Should go back and probably simplify those ones.

The only thing I can think of, and it's not terribly practical post-printing, is giving Wounds one of those special bolded tags just like Ongoing. But you probably considered that and a bunch of other solutions and made this the final design decision for a reason. Hopefully this didn't come off as critical... there's often no way to word a card so that it covers every single case /and/ you don't need a magnifying glass to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.