Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Eklov
United States
Berkley
Mi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I enjoy Piñata quite a bit, but for such a light game it tends to linger longer than I'd like. Its also not until each player has a few candies under their belt that strategies begin to emerge.

To help address these few quibbles, I began to play with each player randomly drawing five candies from the bag. This helped shorten the game, and opened the door to strategies immediately. But, as one might imagine, this was a very random, and thereby unbalanced solution.

So I took things one step further and created a set of starting cards to make the seeding of candies more fair. At the beginning of the game, each player draws one card, and then receives the candies depicted on it. Each card is configured to provide 1 token card worth of value, though that value is separated between multiple colors. And no card provides more than 1/2 (rounded up) of the candies needed to score the token card. Each card was then lettered A-K based on relative strength ('A' being the weakest).

The list of starting cards is as follows:
(Notation: Red/Green/Purple/Pink/Yellow [Strength Rating])

A: 0/1/0/2/1 [1.000]
B: 0/3/0/2/0 [1.000]
C: 1/2/1/0/1 [1.010]
D: 1/1/1/2/0 [1.010]
E: 3/0/0/1/1 [1.012]
F: 3/2/0/1/0 [1.012]
G: 0/1/3/1/0 [1.017]
H: 2/2/2/0/0 [1.019]
I: 4/0/1/1/0 [1.021]
J: 3/0/3/0/0 [1.029]
K: 0/3/1/0/1 [1.033]

Variant Rules:
1) Each player randomly draws a starting card, & receives the depicted candies from the supply.

2) The player with the letter closest to ‘A’ (shown in the bottom right corner) chooses to whether to go first or to defer the lead.

3)Randomly discard cards from the deck corresponding to the candies given to each player. (i.e. If ‘J’ card is drawn remove 3 red, and 3 purple cards from the deck).

4)Show the discarded cards to each player and then begin the game as normal.

Visit https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/144633/variant-starting-c... to download the printable cards.

Edits:
1) Added Variant Rules section
2) Added link to printable pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.