Subject: Internal Stocks/ What is it simulating? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nguyen

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mb
When a unit burns internal stocks, the amount of supply needed to replenish its stocks is much higher than what would be used if regular supply had been consumed. From a gameplay perspective, all of the rules surrounding this mechanism (internal stocks must be replenished first, etc...)all make sense to prevent weird, gamey tactics. From a simulation stand point, I'm not entirely sure what is being simulated. The combat values of the units don't increase, so its not like their fighting any harder than units drawing supply.

for my imagination purposes, does anyone know if their is a simulation justification for the internal stocks penalty, or is it there solely to prevent gamey tactics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that it simulates dipping into their reserve/emergency stocks. So when they resupply, they have to refill not just the gas tank, but the tanker truck as well so to speak. Or not only the ammo at the front line, but the ammo back at the local dump as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it represents the fact that emergency supplying is less efficient than what is done in the normal course of operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
I'm pretty sure the doubled cost for replenishment is mostly a game artifact. Dean wanted to keep players from relying on Stocks too much, keeping it rare. (Stocks were added to the system after some wailing and gnashing of teeth by the playtesters.) It's possible to run an offensive solely on Stocks so that one replenishes only those units (or steps) that survive. That can occur where the player deliberately holds the actual SPs back so that they can't be used. (supply cost has been used in OCS as a means of restraining the very bloody combat system)

My own view is that the concern about abuse is overstated. Replenishment occurs in the Supply Phase, so that nearby SPs can conceivably be used in other phases for non- replenishment purposes. (assuming the SPs could move outside the Movement Phase, which is possible only in limited situations, such as landing craft or air transport, or Movement Phase fuelling and overruns) Otherwise the depleted units have first dibs on the SPs. There's a simple solution for that.

I use a house rule in which recovery of Stocks (12.10e) occurs whenever the necessary SPs are within draw/ throw range. (i.e. in any phase or segment; Recovery already has priority, see 12.10e subsections) That keeps other uses from having priority outside the supply phase, and allows the recovery cost to be equal to the corresponding combat supply cost. (i.e. NOT DOUBLED, which is the point of the house rule) This tends to keep down gamey dispositions of the actual SPs, and reflects actual practice. (The practicality is that supplies form a cycle from dump to unit and back for whatever transport is used; use and replenishment of the unit's local supply is always occurring.) The usual rules require spending actual SPs where they are available, in preference to Internals.

(ducking as Dean throws boots...)arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.