Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonzalo Herreros
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with 5 players yet but I fear my group will exploit the Wheelhouse so whoever gets it first will be first player for the rest of the game. 3 coins is a pretty good value so it would make sense to keep it but not for anybody else to take it without the bonus.

It happened when we played Tzolkin until we realized the first player is not allowed to take that action to keep it.

I was wondering if people have experienced this, I'm tempted to house rule it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're burning half of your worker placements throughout the game, you're almost certainly going to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Herreros
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
If you're burning half of your worker placements throughout the game, you're almost certainly going to lose.

I'm still learning the game but 3 coins for a worker sounds like a good deal if you are heavy on whailling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm still learning the game but 3 coins for a worker sounds like a good deal if you are heavy on whailling

You've got to generate the food and wood somehow in order to dock and launch those ships. You're going to limit your ability to do both of those actions in a single turn and thus limit your total whaling opportunities.

Additionally, there's nothing to keep another player from eating the $3 difference and snaking your wheel if folks get annoyed. That move, paired with a worker at the Inn could allow someone to turn the game around and boot you out of first position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a decent action, but not great. And you just won't have the time to take enough actions to win.

So lets assume you take a turn to control the wheelhouse. (Lets even assume the other players are nice and let you take it with your second turn)

Assuming you only focus on the whaling, you'll still need to spend your other turns collecting the wood and food to prepare and launch.
Lets say a good ship gets about 10 points ($20). Winning scores are typically at least 24, so to win, you'll need to launch 3 ships. I'll assume you launch a ship in round 3, 6, and 9.

That gives you 3 actions to collect food and wood, and prepare and launch. (That's not really even enough to launch a ship far enough, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt).

The Wheelhouse would give you $36 in the course of the game, which only pays for 18 points of whales. If you spend the last 3 rounds getting more money at the bank, you get another $12. (somebody had to build it, and you owe them $1 each time). So $48 just barely gets you 24 points. (That doesn't even take into account the fact that you won't have enough money to pay for all of your whales until late in the game)

Is it mathematically possible? Yes. But you need every other player to make really horrible decisions for most of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.