4 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: allocation of dice to tasks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy howison-Haworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If a task requires two symbols of the same type, do I require two separate 'single' symbols with two dice to cover those symbols, or can I use a single dice showing multiple numbers to cover both the required symbols to complete that task I.e. two investigation symbols are required, can a single dice showing '2' investigations be used to complete that task
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
jerryhaworth wrote:
If a task requires two symbols of the same type, do I require two separate 'single' symbols with two dice to cover those symbols, or can I use a single dice showing multiple numbers to cover both the required symbols to complete that task I.e. two investigation symbols are required, can a single dice showing '2' investigations be used to complete that task

Requirements refer to dice; see the R'lyeh card for example: the first task is 1-investigation, 1-investigation. Had you been allowed to spend a single 2-investigation result to cover both requirements, the task would have been structured with a single requirement showing a 2-investigation result.

It's true the opposite, tho: if on a task you have a single requirement of 2+ ivnestigations, you may use more than one die to satisfy said requirement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Moore
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Julia! Of course I would find ya here on a question I was discussing elsewhere.

I have always played it the way you describe--intuiting, I guess, from examples like the one you cited, that it wouldn't make sense to have multiple "2 investigation" tasks next to one another if they weren't meant to be treated as two separate obstacles requiring separate dice. On a reddit discussion, someone pointed out it never says that in the rules, which I confirmed. I checked errata and don't see it in any rules anywhere. So I can see why people might be confused if they didn't run into examples like this. Wonder if it is worth putting in the updated FAQ they may issue someday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
TribalDancer wrote:
Hey Julia! Of course I would find ya here on a question I was discussing elsewhere.

I have always played it the way you describe--intuiting, I guess, from examples like the one you cited, that it wouldn't make sense to have multiple "2 investigation" tasks next to one another if they weren't meant to be treated as two separate obstacles requiring separate dice. On a reddit discussion, someone pointed out it never says that in the rules, which I confirmed. I checked errata and don't see it in any rules anywhere. So I can see why people might be confused if they didn't run into examples like this. Wonder if it is worth putting in the updated FAQ they may issue someday?

True, rules aren't that sound at this regard. I'm pretty confident I've already entered this in the ongoing FAQ project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.