Subject: Texans trade Brock to the Browns [NFL] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow!

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/09/brock-osweiler-texans-brown...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, those crazy Browns and their QB-searchin' ways! They always seem to covet the castaways of other teams and then they wonder why none of them ever pan out!

To be fair, this may not be that bad a deal for Cleveland. They ain't going anywhere next year, so getting a 2nd round pick in '18 in exchange for upping Houston's 6th rounder to a 4th rounder is pretty good. Of course, given the way the two teams should finish, the Texan's 2nd rounder won't be that much better than Cleveland's 4th rounder, but it's still Round 2. And the Browns get what may be a somewhat serviceable QB (and probably a big salary cap headache).

Interesting stuff. Nice to see there's NFL news other than the meltdown of the Redskins' front office!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always impressive how the Browns can make their terrible situation worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
This also raises speculation that Houston will be able to trade for Tony Romo. Denver is also rumored to be in the mix for the Cowboy's former star.

Based on Cleveland's reaction to the deal, their main goal was picking up the 2nd round pick; they didn't even mention Osweiler when asked about it. The ESPN guys are shaking their heads about that, disparagingly calling the Brown's mania for collecting draft picks "baseball thinking". They may be right, but when Belichek does it, it's called genius, so I guess we'll have to see if it works out. Sure does seem like a lot of money to spend just to marginally improve your draft status, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2018 September 28, 29, 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
This also raises speculation that Houston will be able to trade for Tony Romo. Denver is also rumored to be in the mix for the Cowboy's former star.

Based on Cleveland's reaction to the deal, their main goal was picking up the 2nd round pick; they didn't even mention Osweiler when asked about it. The ESPN guys are shaking their heads about that, disparagingly calling the Brown's mania for collecting draft picks "baseball thinking". They may be right, but when Belichek does it, it's called genius, so I guess we'll have to see if it works out. Sure does seem like a lot of money to spend just to marginally improve your draft status, though.

Interesting that you mention Belichick, since I'm now reading rumors that the Browns specifically wanted the extra draft capital because they're trying to put together a trade package for Jimmy Garoppolo ... and that their intention with Osweiler is just to cut him and eat his contract (since they've got more than enough cap space for it).

Edit: Link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of Romo, even if he has had some good years. As a fan of the Broncos, I'd prefer no to see him on the team. If Romo becomes a starter again and lasts more than 10 games next year, I'll lick my own liver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading Brock was a bad move for the Chicago Cubs back in 1964.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure genius for the Browns. They started free agency with close to $100m clearance on the salary cap. They could sign half a dozen free agents and still have more left to spend than most teams started with. So they basically sold part of it. They bought a second round draft pick. Texans ship Oswieler and his $17m 2017 salary to the Browns along with a second round pick. Browns cut Oswieler and pocket the second round pick. As for the 17M the Browns were going to have to spend that money anyway to reach the minimum salary cap. So for them the trade effectively gives them a second round pick for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.