Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always wanted to play one of these. Which 2 are the best of the bunch?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurorails and Nippon Rails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all pretty close in the fun department, I think. For your first one, I'd choose one that has a location you're familiar with. Having to get into the swing of things *and* trying to hunt down obscure cities on a map might hamper your enjoyment a bit.

But if you're not worried about that, go with a location that appeals to you for some reason. I own about 10 different crayon games and when I want to play one I invariable choose one based on whatever location that excites me at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nace
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Empire Builder is probably the best starting point since I see you are from the US. It's an easy map to find things on since the geography is familiar, and it has some of the simpler mechanics (only 2 types of mileposts, some other games add more types that you have to deal with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After literally hundreds of plays with my husband; we vote for Martian Rails. It is not old yet. Try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones I enjoy most are Eurorails, British Rails and Iron Dragon.

I agree that Empire Builder (the current maps include the USA and much of Canada and Mexico) is a good place to start.

You can find a complete list of "crayon rail" games at Crayon Rail System - note that not all here are Empire Builder derivatives, and includes some "home brew" maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Express might be a good introduction to the Family.

I really like the India map, but it's hard because no one knows the geography, so we normally stick with Empire Builder or Express.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have only two players, I'd recommend British Rails. The map is a little tighter so it works better with two.

If you have trouble with geography outside the US, I'd recommend Empire Builder, or the lighter version whose name I can't recall right now (I think it's somewhere in this thread).

Iron Dragon/Martian Rails are harder IMO because the map is imaginary, so you don't have geographical references in your head like you would if you were on a map of a real place. Plus Iron Dragon has two levels and other different things. My first game of Iron Dragon (with 3) lasted almost four hours. Way too long and too complicated IMO for a first-time crayon rail game. Well worth it if you're a fan of this type of game, which I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.