Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know there is no clear cut answer to this because none of us can predict the future. but I'm trying to decide if I should add on a couple of the Wave 2 expansions I want to my pledge, or just wait for Gencon. IIRC the prices at Gencon were pretty on par with the prices on the pledge manager. So, do you think it's safe to just wait for Gencon to pick up the ones I want (in my case Dragon King and Dung Beetle)? Heck, I might even save on shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question is, will the wave 2 stuff be done in time for Gencon. I'd guess no. Not Gencon 2017 anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Inner Geek wrote:
I think the question is, will the wave 2 stuff be done in time for Gencon. I'd guess no. Not Gencon 2017 anyway.

Wave 2 (at least the items I'm asking about) are already created, he's just manufacturing more. So, for example, all of the expansions already out (and that are scheduled for wave 2) were at gencon last year. Heck I bought a dragon king for a friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shauni55 wrote:
The Inner Geek wrote:

Wave 2 (at least the items I'm asking about) are already created, he's just manufacturing more. So, for example, all of the expansions already out (and that are scheduled for wave 2) were at gencon last year. Heck I bought a dragon king for a friend.

You like the word Heck. =)

One of the components os the game is the Gambler's chest. So... gamble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laucion wrote:
shauni55 wrote:
The Inner Geek wrote:

You like the word Heck. =)

One of the components os the game is the Gambler's chest. So... gamble?

it's true :/ I also already planned on buying more expansions while there so I may as well make it as difficult for myself as I can and carry them all to my car (saw a guy buy the core +every expansion last year and want to be like him)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely understand your logic. I'm just going by what the KS said about waves. Wave 1 summer 2017 (later predicted to be about 3 months late) and wave 2 after wave 1.

I'd certainly envy your ability to pick up any Gencon special they have there though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Depends on what stock still exists as well. We know the more popular expansions sold out.

My question would be why would you buy at gencon and risk not getting what you want when you can lock in to a copy of the new print run as soon as it is ready for the same price in the PM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
Depends on what stock still exists as well. We know the more popular expansions sold out.

My question would be why would you buy at gencon and risk not getting what you want when you can lock in to a copy of the new print run as soon as it is ready for the same price in the PM?

Namely for getting them quicker (gencon vs. wave 2 shipping later) and not having to pay shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shauni55 wrote:
strewart wrote:

Namely for getting them quicker (gencon vs. wave 2 shipping later) and not having to pay shipping

Well, you won't get out of stock expansions quicker than wave 2 shipping, unless Gencon happens to fall into the period between the wave being received at the distribution centres, and actually hitting doorsteps.

Given the dates released so far, that looks quite unlikely, imo. You will save shipping, of course, but there's no guarantee the prices will be the same, so you could still end up paying more...

If getting them quick is the priority, I'd pledge. If cost is the main issue, I'd probably gamble on Gencon, but you might be waiting half a year or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn barnes
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciriquen wrote:
shauni55 wrote:
strewart wrote:

Well, you won't get out of stock expansions quicker than wave 2 shipping, unless Gencon happens to fall into the period between the wave being received at the distribution centres, and actually hitting doorsteps.

Given the dates released so far, that looks quite unlikely, imo. You will save shipping, of course, but there's no guarantee the prices will be the same, so you could still end up paying more...

If getting them quick is the priority, I'd pledge. If cost is the main issue, I'd probably gamble on Gencon, but you might be waiting half a year or more.

Well, we're already waiting over half a year for wave 2 (I believe the estimated shipping was winter 2017?). Also, I've come to the conclusion that Gencon stock is a separate pool from online stock. For example, last year all of the expansions were sold out online, but had then at Gencon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really think all the Wave 2 expansions will be produced and fulfilled by the end of the year?

One thing that we know about KDM is Poots is not a good business man. My guess is that Wave 1 fulfillment by Oct-Nov 2017, Wave 2 by April-July 2018, Wave 3 by Jan-Jun 2019 and Wave 4 by Dec 2020.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Fang
msg tools
carkara wrote:
Do you really think all the Wave 2 expansions will be produced and fulfilled by the end of the year?

One thing that we know about KDM is Poots is not a good business man. My guess is that Wave 1 fulfillment by Oct-Nov 2017, Wave 2 by April-July 2018, Wave 3 by Jan-Jun 2019 and Wave 4 by Dec 2020.

Well, maybe he was not so good with logistics but I would not say he is not a good businessman. He over promised and over delivered in the first kickstarter, everything in the store is quickly sold out and has raised 13 million dollars in this KS, certainly not a bad businessman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longfang wrote:
carkara wrote:

Well, maybe he was not so good with logistics but I would not say he is not a good businessman. He over promised and over delivered in the first kickstarter, everything in the store is quickly sold out and has raised 13 million dollars in this KS, certainly not a bad businessman...

/\ This!

And he learned a LOT from the first KS, so he will commit less mistakes this time around. He even said the 3 months delay DURING the campaign, instead of waiting and telling later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carkara wrote:

I'm thinking Wave 1 goes into production this month (March), on the water May for Q3 delivery. He can start Wave 2 production once the cores get done, for Q4 delivery. Wave 2 in 2017 is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cori Chan
United Kingdom
ShauKiWan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am wondering if the wave2,3,4 will ship all the things in one go, or send them separately (seem this not make much sense as it will cost them a lot).

Does that mean new expansions will wait until all 16 of them are finished before we can get a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Each wave is supposed to ship together at one go. I imagine that if anything is significantly delayed (Abyssal Woods, perhaps), Adam will address whether to ship the rest of the wave without it or hold everything at the time it comes to that. Otherwise, yes, we are waiting for all of the new expansions to finish before any of them ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cori Chan
United Kingdom
ShauKiWan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it same as the first KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
Each wave is supposed to ship together at one go. I imagine that if anything is significantly delayed (Abyssal Woods, perhaps), Adam will address whether to ship the rest of the wave without it or hold everything at the time it comes to that. Otherwise, yes, we are waiting for all of the new expansions to finish before any of them ship.

If Adam waited for all expansions to finish then it would defeat the purpose of shipping waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

If Adam waited for all expansions to finish then it would defeat the purpose of shipping waves.

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Fang
msg tools
malkaven wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

That's what happened in the first KS. Personally I think that in this one new expansions will ship in two waves. There are some almost finished while some barely started development so it makes sense to me to split them. I'd say all the inverted mountain, First Hero and screaming god first, ID, Silver city and Abyssal Woods later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
malkaven wrote:

That is the definition of shipping waves, isn't it? All of wave 1 ships together, all of wave 2 ships together, etc.

longfang wrote:
Personally I think that in this one new expansions will ship in two waves. There are some almost finished while some barely started development so it makes sense to me to split them.

I also think this is a good bet. They put wave 5 on the schedule for a reason. I was noticing again last night as I looked over the pledge manager that about half the monsters have crests (Gryphon, Nightmare Ram, Red Witches, First Hero, etc.) and the others are just concept art. I don't know if that's a perfect correspondence, but it's clear some of these have been in development for quite a while and will be ready sooner than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cori Chan
United Kingdom
ShauKiWan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
malkaven wrote:

That is the definition of shipping waves, isn't it? All of wave 1 ships together, all of wave 2 ships together, etc.

longfang wrote:
Personally I think that in this one new expansions will ship in two waves. There are some almost finished while some barely started development so it makes sense to me to split them.

I also think this is a good bet. They put wave 5 on the schedule for a reason. I was noticing again last night as I looked over the pledge manager that about half the monsters have crests (Gryphon, Nightmare Ram, Red Witches, First Hero, etc.) and the others are just concept art. I don't know if that's a perfect correspondence, but it's clear some of these have been in development for quite a while and will be ready sooner than others.

I don't think the development speed will base on if we have the model yet or just the concept art.
As in the first KS, we had The King model, and slenderman concept art only in the KS the campaign. but, everyone know the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's true, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the sheer scale of the Wave 1 logistics challenge. He's got to ship something like 20,000 core games (assuming extras trade against upgrades), each of which is going to weigh something like 20 lbs. That's 400,000 lbs of core games -- 200 TONS of core games alone. That's a lot of stuff to ship. By weight alone, he needs to break into at least 5 containers, as the maximum weight of a regular semi-tractor/trailer is limited to something like 80,000 lbs.

And I believe he's going to be holding something like 5,000 copies for "retail" (KD store), so that's at least another container worth of stuff!

All told, it's a minimum of 6 containers, unloading into a 2000+ SF footprint. This is a lot bigger than his garage - more like a half-dozen 2-car garages...

It's just too big for him to deliver all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Fang
msg tools
GrauGeist wrote:
Consider the sheer scale of the Wave 1 logistics challenge. He's got to ship something like 20,000 core games (assuming extras trade against upgrades), each of which is going to weigh something like 20 lbs. That's 400,000 lbs of core games -- 200 TONS of core games alone. That's a lot of stuff to ship. By weight alone, he needs to break into at least 5 containers, as the maximum weight of a regular semi-tractor/trailer is limited to something like 80,000 lbs.

And I believe he's going to be holding something like 5,000 copies for "retail" (KD store), so that's at least another container worth of stuff!

All told, it's a minimum of 6 containers, unloading into a 2000+ SF footprint. This is a lot bigger than his garage - more like a half-dozen 2-car garages...

It's just too big for him to deliver all at once.

True, but should be split in different warehouses around the world. At least one in Europe and one in the states
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.