Subject: Do you have to use an active ability if you don't want to? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but I looked through the FAQ and forums but couldn't find it, so bare with me.

I have the Ability card "Single Out" in the Active area of my Scoundrel which adds to my attack if certain conditions are met. Do I have to use the ability if O don't want to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. This is clarified in the rulebook under the section about ongoing effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This topic still confuses me a bit. From this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25270679#25270679

It sounds as though you can ignore effects that are intended to be positive, but you have to take penalties that are supposed to be negative.

If it's a "positive" effect that you want to ignore, I'm guessing you can do it? But it's negative to you since you want to ignore it, so that's weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Yes. This is clarified in the rulebook under the section about ongoing effects.

Thank you. Found it under Active Bonuses on p. 25 for anyone wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
This topic still confuses me a bit. From this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25270679#25270679

It sounds as though you can ignore effects that are intended to be positive, but you have to take penalties that are supposed to be negative.

If it's a "positive" effect that you want to ignore, I'm guessing you can do it? But it's negative to you since you want to ignore it, so that's weird.

That's referring to when your playing cards, not to conditional effects from persistent cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deverash wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

That's referring to when your playing cards, not to conditional effects from persistent cards.

Right. Once the card is played in your active area, your choices are to use the charge or send the card to its resting place (Discard or Lost). You can't leave it there and not use a charge when the conditions are met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deverash wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I am pretty sure you can still ignore the positive effect of persistent cards that trigger, but the charge still happens and you get XP if it gives you XP whether you ignore the positive effect or not (XP is never optional).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
Deverash wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I am pretty sure you can still ignore the positive effect of persistent cards that trigger, but the charge still happens and you get XP if it gives you XP whether you ignore the positive effect or not (XP is never optional).

I agree with this. Using the charge, receiving XP and losing the card (if all charges are used) are non-optional. Actually getting the benefit is optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.