Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tile-laying games to create an object are as old as Carcassonne, and probably older. The best known variant is where everyone adds to the same plateau, as in Carcassonne and Infinite City. A variant is where everyone builds their own plateau, as in Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King.

Among the Stars combined this personal plateau with a Seven Wonders-like draft. Between Two Cities does the same. What makes this last game different from those other games is that you don't build together on one big object, and neither do you have your own plateau, but rather - as you all know - you build one object with your left neighbour and another one with your right one.

That sounds like a nice idea. But I wonder - do I need a new game for that? I already have the games above that have links; could I get the same BTC vibe with Among the Stars, for example, by building two stations with my neighbours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify the tile-laying aspects, there is very little 'pattern recognition', such as in Carc or Isle of Skye. Much more like Inifinite City, where the location of individual buildings becomes important.

I like the semi-cooperative aspect to BTC, and this is kinda unique, but the rest of my group have cooled on the game as a whole. The final scoring sometimes seems a bit of a lottery. Do you really need it? I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question.

In the end, from the reviews I read, the shared building was a cool mechanism, but the rest of the game seemed a bit too ... simplistic. What I'd really like is a game with shared building, but where the rest of the game is deeper.

In my reading, I saw that Stonemaier games said that they have plans for expansions to Between Two Cities, and other games with the shared building mechanism. So, I'm holding out to see what comes of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad game if someone brings it to the table but I wouldn't foot the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good 20-30min filler game if you have a lot of players (5-7, although it plays well from 3-7, and has 1 and 2 player variants).

Otherwise, I'd say that Among the Stars/Fields of Green offers better strategic choices, but just doesn't support as many players.

Yes, the semi-coop aspect is reasonably unique, but perhaps not enough to justify getting this, unless you want a simple drafting game for a large number of players, and Sushi Go Party! doesn't appeal to your friends.

(7 Wonders I wouldn't consider simple - far too many moving parts to learn quickly for new players, whereas learning B2C is very quick)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason I haven't yet pruned Between Two Cities from my collection is that it is the simplest-yet-most-interesting drafting game I have. The drafting is as simple as in other simple drafting games, but the tile-laying is more interesting than the set collection of Sushi Go!.

Between Two Cities is something I can play with just about anybody - it's a game to play with kids and grandparents, and since it can take seven players, everybody can join in.

But for gamers? No, not worth it. I have Fields of Green, I much rather drag that to a game night than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a deep game, but a great one to introduce drafting to new gamers if you have 6 or more players. Sushi Go Party! ain't bad either.

There's an expansion coming out. Almost nothing has bee announced about it, but I'm hoping it makes the game deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdahl wrote:
In my reading, I saw that Stonemaier games said that they have plans for expansions to Between Two Cities, and other games with the shared building mechanism. So, I'm holding out to see what comes of them.

An expansion is currently being printed or is at least very close to start printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
An expansion is currently being printed or is at least very close to start printing.

Want!

We play this game quite often with casual gamers or as a filler with a larger group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what you are after. I very much enjoy the game and I'm happy to play it whenever it hits the table. It gives you some tactical choices to make each turn, but it doesn't have that much strategic depth (luck of the draw). On the flip-side it really is 20-30 minute game with any player count since actions are simultaneous. Quick setup, quick cleanup, simple rules (easy to teach) so a great filler game that pucks a bit of a punch as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Molokov wrote:
Otherwise, I'd say that Among the Stars/Fields of Green offers better strategic choices, but just doesn't support as many players.

Among the Stars, at least, can be played with up to six players with the expansion.

I guess that I'll have to try out 'Between two Space Stations' some time, an Among the Stars variant where each player works on building two space stations together with his neighbours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a table where six people could play Fields of Green - the space requirement would be quite horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a little more to Between Two Cities than just the partnership part. The 4x4 city contraints paired with the 'double tile' round take it up a notch, since the double tiles rarely can fit as neatly as you want them to and they tend to force you to choose your cities contrains leading into the final round.

Or to put it another way, to get a similar feel from AtS you'd have to play with partners, and constrain the station (Lets say to a 5x4 grid), and have double sized cards that are in fixed orientation for the middle round(s).

Between Two Cities is certainly on the lighter side though, so after the ~15 plays I've had it's lost its' luster for me. Looking forward to having the expansion to reinvigorage the game for me!

--

If you do try AtS with a partnership/station either side variant I'll look forward to hearing about it (presuming you'd post about it in the forum). The objective cards in AtS could make that a very interesting thing to do ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
pdahl wrote:

Can you tell us anything about it? Are these new building types, unique buildings, or something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pattersonclan wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
pdahl wrote:

Can you tell us anything about it? Are these new building types, unique buildings, or something else?

Sorry, It's not for me to decide when and what to reveal, so I'll unfortunately have to stay mum. Sorry .

That said, given how far along it is, I don't think it'll be long before some info will be released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Pattersonclan wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
pdahl wrote:

Sorry, It's not for me to decide when and what to reveal, so I'll unfortunately have to stay mum. Sorry .

That said, given how far along it is, I don't think it'll be long before some info will be released.

Kaiju?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
Pattersonclan wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
pdahl wrote:

Kaiju?

Schhhh! You're not supposed to tell that to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
wombat929 wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
Pattersonclan wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
pdahl wrote:

Kaiju?

But what if people want to get the AA batteries ahead of time to power them? Important information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Kaiju?

But what if people want to get the AA batteries ahead of time to power them? Important information![/q]

Batteries are not good enough for our Kaiju, so we'll include a nuclear power plant in each box.

Ooops! Did I say that? It was supposed to be a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabletop Obsession
msg tools
mb
I think B2C is an exceptional game on the lighter side of the strategy spectrum. I love the unique way that you must cooperate with your neighbors but nobody else. There is great variability in the game, so it will feel unique for dozens of games before you might get tired of it. It will take many games to learn the optimal plays and become an expert. The people you play beside will greatly impact how well you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.