Subject: Miskatonic Museum not pressured for time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
In my play throughs of the Miskatonic Museum, I have never run into the trouble of running out of time through doom advancement like I have in other scenarios.

The more pressing time factor is usually drawing "Beyond the Veil" and worrying about going through my deck and taking the damage.

I was curious to see what other people's experiences with the scenario has been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ishield wrote:
In my play throughs of the Miskatonic Museum, I have never run into the trouble of running out of time through doom advancement like I have in other scenarios.

The more pressing time factor is usually drawing "Beyond the Veil" and worrying about going through my deck and taking the damage.

I was curious to see what other people's experiences with the scenario has been.

I find that in that scenario the Hunting Horror respawn is the real clock. That thing starts to become really hard to beat after its third or fourth time showing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
XDarkAngelX wrote:

I find that in that scenario the Hunting Horror respawn is the real clock. That thing starts to become really hard to beat after its third or fourth time showing up.

Evasion is marginally more action intensive, and you risk the Horror readying and hitting you though he doesn't do mucb damage per shot. The Athabaskan Exhibit is tailored to this approach for investigators normally weak on evasion (provided you have a partner to roam the museum).

You should only kill the Horror when doom piles up on it and threatens the agenda, so it stays small. Once it's massive, it's much barder to dislodge from the Restricted Hall, because it won't move with you. You all have to leave and wait for it to hunt.

I suspect Museum isn't designed to be all that challenging if you want to just race to the finish, but presents the chance to pusb your luck with a more thorougb exploration of the museum for more experience.

It's also much harder to manage at higher player counts, because the various Horror-related encounter cards go off more frequently. In low player counts, you can let it hang around a bit without too much worry that it'll move and attack off an encounter card; likewise, you can send it to the void with less chance of respawning it off The encounter deck and adding a resource. You can be more methodical about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've died in MM it's because of Beyond the Veil. I don't think it's actually that hard a scenario. Beyond the Veil can really punish a build that's speeding through it's deck though. You've gotta really pull the breaks and try not to take the discard effects on encounter cards.

The hunting horror I don't think is all that bad. I usually just evade it most of the time. You definitely don't want it to get too big or pile on too much doom.

Add: I think the real challenge is maximizing your xp in the scenario. If you aren't rolling with Seekers then fully exploring all the rooms for xp can be pretty costly time wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
I agree that the scenario isn't incredibly challenging. The benefit of more people though is that one person can engage and deal with the horror as the rest go on investigating. Especially with our layout where we had a Zoey who was just a pure fighter, we just had her deal with it every time it showed up and the rest of us had no real slowdown.

I still enjoy the scenario a lot though and I find the encounter particularly scary because of all the discard effects along with beyond the veil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ishield wrote:

Yup, that's what I found. "Beyond the Veil" is the biggest problem, followed by the Hunting Horror growing, and Doom never really featured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.