Joel Hoffman
Canada
Haliburton
Ontario
flag msg tools
I am currently working on a rough outline for a card-based game where players collect sets of resources to complete objectives. I am trying to decide between two options for gaining those resources, and could use some input.

I've decided on a per-turn, doesn't-carry-over-next-turn income mechanic based on completed objectives (ie rewards for completion, plus a base income). Players would use that income to purchase the resources needed for further objectives.
One way I am thinking of doing that is to give each type of resource its own cost, and there would be a pool of X cards to pick from each turn, refreshing each time someone purchased a card (think Ticket to Ride train cards, plus the income/cost).
The second way I was considering is having a board with printed spaces with assigned costs, and resource cards are drawn onto them, giving the potential for rarer resources to be cheap and common resources to be expensive (a la Castles of Mad King Ludwig, minus the Master Builder assigning the values).

What does everyone think of those options, or are there other ways I might not be thinking of?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think how well it works depends on how the players would then interact with the cost.
Alhambra (should be a great example)
The money and the cost both come up random. The players must struggle with what their best choice would be.
Amerigo (in relation to the yellow tiles)
again somewhat random cost that still feels fair

other ideas:
something similar to 7 Wonders where the cost is determined by something your opponent has or does
something like what is in Abyss where the cost is determined by resource reveal timing
[similar example in Small World buying races)
or a million examples of something worker betting influenced like Spyrium or The Speicherstadt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward M
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Reveal a number of resource cards at the start of the game. Place like cards together. At the start of each turn, reveal a small number of new cards, two, perhaps, and place them with other cards of the same type. The cost of each resource card would depend on how many resource cards of that type were visible, the more cards visible, the lower the cost. The pricing structure could be the same for each resource, but more common or less desirable resources would tend to accumulate on the table, thereby becoming less expensive than rarer or more desirable resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
A bit more information on theme and mechanics could help on this. But I could see the first idea, with cards having a fixed price, but player's getting modifiers from their completed objectives, being pretty viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hoffman
Canada
Haliburton
Ontario
flag msg tools
tentagil wrote:
A bit more information on theme and mechanics could help on this. But I could see the first idea, with cards having a fixed price, but player's getting modifiers from their completed objectives, being pretty viable.

Theme-wise, the resources are henchman types, with the objectives being various jobs to complete. The objectives would reward income increases, points, random draws from the henchman deck, and (potentially, not sure how to implement them) take-that hits against opponents.

With everyone's comments so far, the fixed price seems to be my preference, though I am also considering adding a range of prices for each tier of henchman, ie most common might cost between 1 and 4, next level up might be between 3 and 6, etc. Making the common resources generally the most cost efficient, but adding in some random chance and planning, like deciding to wait for a potentially cheaper card of the same type to be drawn, or committing the income now on a more expensive card, but potentially allowing objective completion or opponent blocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hoffman
Canada
Haliburton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Bumping with a follow-up:

So I have decided on the method of tiers of resources each having a variable cost, so that players need to choose between waiting for a lower-priced resource that they need or investing in a higher-cost resource for an immediately score boost.

That said, can anyone point me in the direction of advice on how to mathematically assign those costs in a deck? Like how many of each resource, and how many of each cost? My math-fu is weak.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There isn't really a set mathematical scale to work with or every design would be the same. At the end of the day, it comes down to playtesting to get the right feel.

The best advice I can give is to establish your "unit." This value determines how different things should interact. If it cost 2 resources to buy the average green henchman, and the average mission a green henchman can complete is worth ten points, carts should be balanced around the idea of getting roughly five points per resource. Then you tweak from that baseline adding your random variance and other non-point mission rewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.