Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As more and more board game developers are offering iOS/Android versions that very closely mimic the print versions, shouldn't we have an option to indicate that we own the electronic version?

How many of the raters, commenters, and play loggers for Ascension, for example, are exclusively playing the electronic version? Currently, we have to decide whether or not to click "Owned" in order to get these games to show up on certain targeted searches and collection views.

In my case, I "own" the following games on iOS but not in the printed editions. I want to see them in my collection without having to categorize them in the same way as my regular board games:

Ascension
Suburbia
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Pathfinder ACG: Rise of the Runelords
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Patchwork
Keltis Das Orakel
Modern Art Card Game
Splendor
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ortus Regni

In most of those cases I have also played the print editions, but I'll never purchase them, either because I think the game plays better on the iOS version, or because I don't like the game quite enough to own the print edition.

Additionally, I also own about 25 games both in print editions and on iOS. It would be nice to see that indicated in my collection as well.

I know we theoretically have VGG for electronic games, but gamers are smart enough to determine whether an electronic port of a game is basically the same game in a different format (and thus appropriately included and discussed on BGG). Also, VGG is a graveyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
As more and more board game developers are offering iOS/Android versions that very closely mimic the print versions, shouldn't we have an option to indicate that we own the electronic version?

How many of the raters, commenters, and play loggers for Ascension, for example, are exclusively playing the electronic version? Currently, we have to decide whether or not to click "Owned" in order to get these games to show up on certain targeted searches and collection views.

In my case, I "own" the following games on iOS but not in the printed editions. I want to see them in my collection without having to categorize them in the same way as my regular board games:

Ascension
Suburbia
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Patchwork
Keltis Das Orakel
Modern Art Card Game
Splendor
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ortus Regni

In most of those cases I have also played the print editions, but I'll never purchase them, either because I think the game plays better on the iOS version, or because I don't like the game quite enough to own the print edition.

Additionally, I also own about 25 games both in print editions and on iOS. It would be nice to see that indicated in my collection as well.

I know we theoretically have VGG for electronic games, but gamers are smart enough to determine whether an electronic port of a game is basically the same game in a different format (and thus appropriately included and discussed on BGG). Also, VGG is a graveyard.

BGG is not adequately setup to handle electronic games. VGG is the place to enter mobile ports of board games and add them to your collection. You can use the "Adapted From" field to link board game and video game entries. VGG has fields for the media type (Android/iPhone/iPad) and there is also a field on VGG to link directly to the iOS page of the game.

Glamorous Mucus wrote:

Here are the mobile pages:

Ascension
Suburbia
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Patchwork
Modern Art Card Game
Splendor
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ortus Regni
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Forbidding

Yeah, I get that those are there, but they're useless if no one uses them.

The mobile version of Castles of Mad King Ludwig has 1 rating and 0 comments. Useless.

I'm not asking for a full-throated implementation of electronic editions on BGG. I'm just asking for a little checkbox where I can indicate that I own a game electronically, without going over to VGG and jumping through a bunch of hoops. (And even then I can't get the functionality I want, which is to see my e-versions of board games listed together with my print editions in my collection or in searches that are filtered for "in collection").

This would be soooo useful to me and to many BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can enter custom version info, so if you add a version and can call it Agricola iOS if you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:
Glamorous Mucus wrote:

Ascension
Suburbia
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Patchwork
Keltis Das Orakel
Modern Art Card Game
Splendor
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ortus Regni

BGG is not adequately setup to handle electronic games. VGG is the place to enter mobile ports of board games and add them to your collection. You can use the "Adapted From" field to link board game and video game entries. VGG has fields for the media type (Android/iPhone/iPad) and there is also a field on VGG to link directly to the iOS page of the game.

Glamorous Mucus wrote:

Here are the mobile pages:

Ascension
Suburbia
Forbidden Desert
Ghost Stories
Patchwork
Modern Art Card Game
Splendor
Ticket to Ride Europe
Ortus Regni

So I tried out your suggestion and hit the first link. It turns out that I had already "clicked" the owned box but Ascension doesn't show up in my collection.

Also VGG is a ghost town and not too easy to navigate either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
One more box, eh?

Add ownership type 'electronic'
Checkbox for APP version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
So I tried out your suggestion and hit the first link. It turns out that I had already "clicked" the owned box but Ascension doesn't show up in my collection.

Also VGG is a ghost town and not too easy to navigate either.

Your VGG collection is here:

https://videogamegeek.com/collection/user/Budapest?own=1&sub...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
VGG is a ghost town and not too easy to navigate either.

If you want to see more users on VGG, you can always join us!

And the site navigation is 100% identical to a site you have been on for four years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people aren't using the VGG collection tools for the iOS versions of board games, then that's a clear sign that those tools are not useful to people. I guarantee people would be using an option like what I've requested if it were better accessible from BGG's already-existing collection tools.

Another example:

Forbidden Desert, an excellent iOS adaptation that has been out for a year now.

VGG: 3 owners, 0 ratings, 0 comments, 0 reviews, 0 threads.

BGG: 24000 owners, 14000 ratings, 2400 comments, 79 reviews, 323 threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
frumpish wrote:
Budapest wrote:
VGG is a ghost town and not too easy to navigate either.

If you want to see more users on VGG, you can always join us!

And the site navigation is 100% identical to a site you have been on for four years.
If VGG is a ghost town, then I'm Casper.

VGG has a small but very active and very friendly community.
VGG works identical to BGG.
The only difference is, discussion about games happen on forums in BGG, but on Geeklists on VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't see the need to differentiate for just your personal collection. No real reason why, but if you own the Glass Road digital port and can play it whenever you want, I think that's fine. If you ever were so moved to need to specify the physical or digital version for whatever reason, I guess you could just always tag it in the notes? That way, if you were using your list for trade purposes, people would know. But then again, if you're using your list for trade purposes, why would you be putting a digital version there anyways?

Bottom line, it's not a huge deal if this is just your own personal list for your own personal collection. The only way I guess this would be a problem is if you have an extremely specific need to only know your physical versions. In that case, either tag it in VGG or leave it off your list completely. I guess it's a "non-thing" for me personally, but there's my take!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.