Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we recently snagged all of Resident Evil (Base game plus all expansions) off of Massdrop. I'm pretty excited for it, have it all unpacked and sorted out with all the dividers, to the best of my ability at least not having played it before.

But it's a little overwhelming, having it ALL at once. I'm not really sure where to start. Should we play through all the rulebooks, one by one? Or just start with the rules for the last expansion that has the 5.0 version rulebook? I figured we'd start with just the original base game stuff, then work our way up through each rulebook, but then my husband mentioned that based on the different versions labeled on each books cover(1.1, 3.0, 5.0, etc) maybe we only need to use the last rulebook and just use everything?

Wasn't even sure whether to post this here, or in one of the expansions forums, since the question is for the entire set.... Anybody who's played this before, and maybe has the expansions able to chime in on how best to start this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercenaries set rules, being the latest version, have cleaned up much of the confusing stuff (wordings mostly) that Premier (Base) rules had in them, but overall, the rules are pretty much the same throughout. Alliance adds Partner mode, otherwise same as Premier, Nightmare is just new setups and mansion (setups generally focus on big decks). Outbreak is really the only thing that truly changes the game, as do Skills from Mercenaries.

Personally, I'd go Premier first, run through the five premade Story Mode setups in that. Since there are 10 characters, assuming 2-p, you'd get to see each in action once and five plays should be enough to get the flow of the game down. After that, might think about playing setups and mansions from other sets, Alliance Story Mode and Nightmare set would keep the same flow, but introduce new Infected. Mercenaries sets are very stingy with +Explores found in the other sets (usually from Shotguns)*. I'd save Outbreak until the very last, you might like it, you might not, I don't like being forced to Explore with no weapons just to avoid Infection.

* Mercenaries also introduces new Basic Resources, which change the flow, IME thus:

Premier/Alliance Basics: slow to start, fast toward the end (due to +Explore)
Mercenaries: fast to start, slow toward the end

I only use Mercenaries Basics when playing a Mercenaries setup, Premier Basics when playing setup from any other set (only done premade setups in my nearly 300 plays).

One thing I would bring in from Mercenaries pretty early is the Skills, once you go Skills, you never go back. Characters already have different playstyles due to their abilities, adding drafting of Skills allows you to individualise them even more, hell, same character could play very differently from one game to the next depending on the Skills you draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic, this was exactly the information I needed! Hopefully we'll be playing tomorrow at some point. Thanks a bundle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
One thing I would bring in from Mercenaries pretty early is the Skills, once you go Skills, you never go back.

I agree with everything Dam the Man says, end definitely reiterate the part about Skills. That was probably THE best mechanic that was added to RE-DBG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How much was the entire set on mass drop if you dont mind my asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zyocuh wrote:

It was $109.99 for the games themselves, and then $14.99 for shipping. I didn't look around too much, but we usually buy from Amazon and it was about half off the Prime cost, even after the shipping, so a good deal for us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brunnstag wrote:
zyocuh wrote:

It was $109.99 for the games themselves, and then $14.99 for shipping. I didn't look around too much, but we usually buy from Amazon and it was about half off the Prime cost, even after the shipping, so a good deal for us!

Wow, awesome price. And I thought I made a great deal. I just got Outbreak and Nightmare from Amazon (I was missing only those) for $70 and will be waiting for them until June (I need someone to bring them to me to Europe). This game is horribly pricy here in Europe – €50 for one box, used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.