Subject: Which to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Kustom
United Kingdom
Brampton, Carlisle
flag msg tools
mb
So do I buy this the new version or the original?
What are people's thoughts?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
on BGG, the only correct answer is both... now if you said which should I buy first, I would get the original first and see how you like it. If some things seem off after a while, check around for house rules people have created to fix some of them. The fact it is this old and you are considering buying it, says something about the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Post
United States
Wauconda
Illinois
flag msg tools
J-1-1. What's your Jonah emergency?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played endless hours of the original Panzerblitz back in the day, but nowadays I vastly prefer Hill of Death and the supplement Caretan.

My feelings. The old game is more about position and terrain. The new one brings to the fore the power of artillery and combined arms. I like that the new game was a historical battle rather than representative battles on geomorphic boards. However, on the down side the number of scenarios available is limited. (Come on MMP! shake)

I would also say the new version in not an iteration of the original but a new game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the original pretty lacking compared to newer games. The original had nearly mythical status, but I played Squad Leader before I played PB, and PB was just too "simplistic" for my more "sophisticated" tastes - Games like Fire Power, First Team, Ambush, Squad Leader, Tank Leader and The Yaquinto Panzer series were just so much more fun to my mind that the original PB had no chance.

The Hill of Death system is pretty interesting, but I am waiting for the new rules.

I say get the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own, play, and like both but they only thing they really share is the title.

Both are readily available at a reasonable price. I'd start with the original and if you feel the need for something a bit more detailed then get the new one.

There are tons of new scenarios for the original plus lots of new counters.

I think PB HoD has been overlooked by many because it wasn't just a simple update of the original and I think those that blew it off missed a really good game. The other benefit of PB HoD is that since it's based on an actual battle there's a lot of readily available history you can access to read up on the fight.

There is an East front version of PB HoD in the works but MMP hasn't put it up for preorder yet, not sure when they will.

Whichever you go with you get a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rallye72 wrote:
There is an East front version of PB HoD in the works but MMP hasn't put it up for preorder yet, not sure when they will.
I was BRIEFLY involved in the playlets of the new version and so far as I know it is still happening. I seem to recall that the holdup was getting a developer for the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I found the original pretty lacking compared to newer games. The original had nearly mythical status, but I played Squad Leader before I played PB, and PB was just too "simplistic" for my more "sophisticated" tastes - Games like Fire Power, First Team, Ambush, Squad Leader, Tank Leader and The Yaquinto Panzer series were just so much more fun to my mind that the original PB had no chance.

The Hill of Death system is pretty interesting, but I am waiting for the new rules.

I say get the new one.

You don't have to wait. I have the new rules on my PC Plus they are on CSW too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis, if I were any good at play testing I would still be involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
on BGG, the only correct answer is both... now if you said which should I buy first, I would get the original first and see how you like it. If some things seem off after a while, check around for house rules people have created to fix some of them. The fact it is this old and you are considering buying it, says something about the original game.

Craig is on target. Buy both. Here's why: original PanzerBlitz is an awesome game, both historically and the fact it is still adaptable to new rules which really make it an excellent simulation. The original rules just don't cut it unless you just want an unrealistic fun game. PanzerBlitz: Hill of Death is a vast improvement because the counters have factors for AP (anti-personnel fire) and AT (anti-tank/anti-armor fire) with none of that halving and doubling of the original Weapons Effectiveness Chart (two exceptions: Infantry AT reaction fire and Spent/Disrupted reaction fire to an overrun). Everything else is DRMs on the 2D6 Combat Results Table. I have played original PanzerBlitz with PB: HoD rules. Guess what? It works quite well. Try it.

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.