13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Large WW2 Pacific/Carrier Game for multiple players?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Finch
msg tools
mb
There are a few threads on here for WW2 pacific campaign or carrier warfare wargames, but I have a more specific question:

Is there a decent pacific campaign OR carrier warfare game that can played with a large (6 to 8 players) group of people. Ideally I'm after a game with lots of detail and a long duration.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools

Flat Top with a referee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Finch
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply. That's good news. I liked the look of flat top but wasn't sure if it would work with that many.

However would I need multiple copies of the game? ie. do you mean double-blind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of WWII-era miniatures rules sets that will easily accommodate 6-8 players with carrier ops. But I'm guessing you're more interested in a board game. Flat Top is a reasonable choice.

However, just as a suggestion, if what you're after is more of that team-vs-team hidden information naval wargame thing, I'd recommend you take a look at Captain Sonar. It's submarines instead of aircraft, but it's a lot more tense and thought out than most 6-8 player naval games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Finch
msg tools
mb
Thank you Vince. Yes I did mean a board gamne. That's an interesting recommendation and I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so big that you probably need multiple players to play it at all: Second World War at Sea: Leyte Gulf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Empire of the Rising Sun?

I haven't played it but it might be close to what you're looking for.

Here's an old review of the game:

https://grognard.com/reviews/risingsn.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
This game is so big that you probably need multiple players to play it at all: Second World War at Sea: Leyte Gulf

Not really playable with more than two. More people would just get in the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:
Maybe Empire of the Rising Sun?

I haven't played it but it might be close to what you're looking for.

No, that's more like Third Reich in scale. Not tactical carrier warfare at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I didn't see where the OP asked for a tactical carrier warfare game.

I guess I thought he was looking for a Pacific campaign game that would play 6-8 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:
Okay, I didn't see where the OP asked for a tactical carrier warfare game.

I guess I thought he was looking for a Pacific campaign game that would play 6-8 people.

You may be right. I guess I could have mentioned The Two Ocean War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Finch
msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the replies guys. Carrier warfare is preferred, but I thought I'd broaden it to pacific campaign games in case that was too specific.

In case a little context helps: My best mate is getting married and although he's crazy about WW2 pacific, and more specifically carrier warfare in the Pacific, we've never actually done any sort of gaming around this theme in our group. So I'm planning to throw a big gaming weekend for him and 6-8 of his gamer mates as a kind of Stag weekend. I wanted something a bit different from our average afternoon's gaming.

So far some kind of team-based Flat Top seems probably closest to the kind of game I was imagining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
wargamer55 wrote:

Not really playable with more than two. More people would just get in the way.

Sure, it's playable with more than two. In fact, it's quite a project for just two players. There are hundreds of ships to keep track of, hundreds of air units, dozens of task forces. It woukd be quite easy to divide up the forces to spread the workload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.