29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: two core sets feel like cheating ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter x
msg tools
It sounds really nice to have more deckbuilding options. If there would be a line in the rulebook like: "buy a second core set for play the expert mode", I had no worries to buy another.

I guess the first campain is designed for one core set?
Maybe it doesn´t really matter, because the game is really hard on expert, but until now it doesn´t feel right to buy two core sets.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it completely differently. Playing one core set is playing the hardcore/random mode. Playing two core set is playing the way it was meant to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilding rules supports two copies of any player card (Rules Reference, p.8, item 3). I have to assume that the game is balanced to support both the general and character specific deckbuilding rules, so I would say no, it's not cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only playing the core game, then two cores is the full version (two of each card) for deck building. OTOH, within a very short number of expansions/mythos decks the odd few single cards will matter less and less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter x
msg tools
rattkin wrote:
Playing two core set is playing the way it was meant to be played.

That would be nice, but in that case its really strange that´s not mentioned in the rules.

Ive played LotR a lot. If you have in later scenarios 3x Unexpected Courage (or other good cards from core), it will be a bit easier to win.
Dont know if I would like that.

Thanks for your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll see words like "expected" and "intended" thrown around with regard to two cores. And some people will try to justify their assertions by referencing the deck construction rules.

But, it is my understanding that, the game was play tested with a single core set.

And, from what I recall of the interview I heard, the designers have as good as said the game was designed to be played that way.

So, is playing with two cores cheating (or does it feel that way)?

No, I don't think so. Some players will choose to buy two cores. And I think, again from what they have said in interviews, the designers understand this and also designed the game to accommodate this (primarily, I think, through the inclusion of the two harder difficulty levels).

So, in short, play the game you want to play. Neither way is the right way. And neither way is the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The only reason why I picked up two core sets is that I wanted the ability to make more than two decks, which is all you can do with just one core set. Since you can only have a set card count and only two of any given card in your deck, having more than two core sets does not feel necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with playing either way. And I'm sure the core box was tested as a standalone set -- it wouldn't make any sense not to do so. That said, AH:TCG is not a standalone game so overall it will be balanced to the deckbuilding rules. And the actual act of deckbuilding is a substantial part of this game.

The question was "does it feel like cheating?" It's not, so I would hope it doesn't feel that way. And if an older campaign feels easier after incorporating newly released cards or a full set of player cards there are options to increase the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is explicitly designed to be expanded for 3 or 4 players through the purchase of a second core - this is in the Rules As Written. In that sense, the designers have told you that it's okay (although not needed) to own two Cores for the Player cards and to play campaigns with those two Cores that have as many as 4 or as few as 1 Investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
ilu_ wrote:
It sounds really nice to have more deckbuilding options. If there would be a line in the rulebook like: "buy a second core set for play the expert mode", I had no worries to buy another.

I guess the first campain is designed for one core set?
Maybe it doesn´t really matter, because the game is really hard on expert, but until now it doesn´t feel right to buy two core sets.

What do you think?

The starters presented in a single core set are a starting point. Another core set opens up deckbuilding in a real way, which the game is designed to accommodate.

You can absolutely build better decks with two of each player card. If it makes you feel better, you could also build worse decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book says: "When building a custom deck, the following guidelines must be observed", then the list of limitations follow. If you stay within the guidelines you are not cheating, and the rules allow doubling up on cards. The value of doubling your chance of pulling a specific card is indisputable: The number is one more.

Also, Azathoth will make finger-food of you for starting this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
OTOH, within a very short number of expansions/mythos decks the odd few single cards will matter less and less.

That was never the case in other LCG's. Yes, there is more cards, but coreset is always designed to be most important and most relevant.

"meant to be played" should be taken with a little grain of salt, obviously. But playing one coreset is just very random and you rarely feel like you're in control. Proper deckbuilding fixes that, but in order to be able to do proper deckbuilding, you need more cards, thus more coresets. That's it.

This is very common topic on these forums. There will be plenty of people saying one way or the other. The best way to get out of this is focus on facts, not on opinions. Some people will *feel* it's ok to play with one coreset. Noone invalidates that. Some people will *feel* that playing with 2 coresets is cheating. But the facts are: rules allow you to get 2x for each card. The gameplay is radically different (which not necessarily means: easier) with well-built deck, compared to random deck.

Your wallet, your fun, your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first LCG, so I went back and forth debating this same question. After a few times through the core campaign, I decided to pick up a second core box.

My reasoning is, well, I really am loving this game. I want to get more serious about deck builds. I feel 2 core sets allows you to tailor-make your characters a lot more. My card pulls are less random with 2 of all the cards I like. The odds are better that certain cards will pop up in my hand. So while I can't control the encounter deck, I feel like I can at least have a bit more control over myself (the investigator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoehler wrote:
This is my first LCG, so I went back and forth debating this same question. After a few times through the core campaign, I decided to pick up a second core box.

My reasoning is, well, I really am loving this game. I want to get more serious about deck builds. I feel 2 core sets allows you to tailor-make your characters a lot more. My card pulls are less random with 2 of all the cards I like. The odds are better that certain cards will pop up in my hand. So while I can't control the encounter deck, I feel like I can at least have a bit more control over myself (the investigator).

This is really the ideal way to start this game. Buy one core, and if you enjoy the game buy another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
youperguy wrote:
dhoehler wrote:

This is really the ideal way to start this game. Buy one core, and if you enjoy the game buy another.

Really? Not buy Dunwich? Cheaper and gets you more stuff?

A second core definitely lets you make stronger decks, which means as long as you're building good decks, the game gets easier.

I would love to know how new scenarios are tested in-house though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:

Really depends on what you value. You don't get new scenarios with a second core, but the player card selection in Dunwich is quite limited compared to the deckbuilding options and investigator teams you open up with a second core.

Having that foundation also helps you make the most of the new deckbuilding options in Dunwich. Without 2 cores, the new investigators are very limited -- as an example, Pete would be able to play only 16 survivor cards, 5 off class cards and be forced into 9 neutrals for a starting deck. The other dunwich investigators are similarly limited out of one core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
youperguy wrote:
dhoehler wrote:

A second core definitely lets you make stronger decks, which means as long as you're building good decks, the game gets easier.

I would love to know how new scenarios are tested in-house though.

Yes, I would recommend a 2nd core over Dunwich.

2nd Core gives access to a lot more deck building options. It allows 3-4 players, and it gives you duplicate encounter cards that will be used in ALL future expansions.

It is also cheaper then the full Dunwich cycle. I would only recommend Dunwich if you intend to buy the full cycle. Dunwich Legacy + 6 Mythos Packs.

If you get the 2nd core it will also allow someone to start with the 2nd cycle rather then Dunwich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Not buy Dunwich? Cheaper

Yes.

Quote:
and gets you more stuff?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Lucas
Germany
Neunkirchen (Saar)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It's not cheating if the rules allow it. It's that easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter x
msg tools
bd flory wrote:
If it makes you feel better, you could also build worse decks.

good point

Ok, I like this game very much. To know there are new stories for years is really amazing. I will buy every expansion for sure.
I like deckbuilding and I also like to have more control and less random.

So my conclusion: Two core sets will be more fun for me, than waiting one more year for enough player cards.

I bought the second copy today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilu_ wrote:
Ive played LotR a lot. If you have in later scenarios 3x Unexpected Courage (or other good cards from core), it will be a bit easier to win.

It is illegal to have more than 2x of a standard player card in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:
ilu_ wrote:

I think he's talking about LotR. In that game there is also a card named Unexpected Courage (arguably one of the best cards in the game, btw) and in that game the card limit is x3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
yogibbear wrote:
ilu_ wrote:

I think he's talking about LotR. In that game there is also a card named Unexpected Courage (arguably one of the best cards in the game, btw) and in that game the card limit is x3.

Oh wow, my bad though he meant the card with the same name from this game modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This discussion will never be resolved because the game was meant to be played exactly how each individual player wants to play with either one core set or two and to be honest, neither is wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shagrath
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
This discussion will never be resolved because the game was meant to be played exactly how each individual player wants to play with either one core set or two and to be honest, neither is wrong.

Agreed. On top of that, this is a co-op game, so no one's going to stop you from playing the game the way you want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.