Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see this exact situation mentioned in the rules ...

Are you allowed to make a move with your Sage (before any stones are played, though it is unclear if this is even relevant) such that it will create a position where in that immediate moment not only your opponent's Sage has no possible moves, but your Sage as well has no possible moves? Is this a win for you, your opponent, or is it an illegal play? We ruled that it was illegal based upon wording elsewhere about your own stone placements trapping your own Sage not being allowed. This can happen when you use a wind to jump diagonally over a mountain range gap since jumping back from where you came from is not reciprical in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crumb Justice
msg tools
mb
The way I would adjudicate is that your sage is only considered trapped if you have no stones left to play that can help you. If you haven't drawn all your stones yet, continue playing and see if they help. My 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crumbo wrote:
The way I would adjudicate is that your sage is only considered trapped if you have no stones left to play that can help you. If you haven't drawn all your stones yet, continue playing and see if they help. My 2 cents.

You are supposed to draw all of the stones you intend to play that turn at the beginning of your turn (emphasis is mine, but per the rules).

My question is about the legality of moving your Sage into a position such that your and an opponent's Sage are trapped at the same time (e.g., jumping over a whirlwind into a mountain enclosure containing an opponent's Sage with only one free space). Does one Sage's movability get resolved before the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skud Pai Sho
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
Good question.. The rules say that you win the game "the moment" the opponent's Sage is surrounded, and that you "cannot place stones in a way that captures your own Sage" - I would guess the creators would also want that part to mean that you cannot move your Sage to be trapped. If that is the case, you would probably resolve the movability of your own Sage first because you would need to do so to determine if it is a legal move. So I would guess that it is an illegal move.

But we'll need an official answer, I suppose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richie
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Official answer!

You cannot have your Sage in a position where it has no legal moves, even if that happens while capturing your opponent.

So yes, you cannot place stones or move your Sage into capture.

Also, you do draw your stones at the beginning of your turn.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Pan
msg tools
if you capture two sages of other players at the same time in a 3 players game, What's the result?
who win the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.