Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news for everyone still looking for the game, just got a notice from Cephalofair games that he's merging the reprint with Founders of Gloomhaven into one kickstarter campaign due to begin around April 6th!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
you should post the full news:

Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
Which brings me to some big announcements. The question on everyone's lips (or at least the lips of people who don't already have Gloomhaven) seems to be, "When will the game be available again?" You see, I apparently didn't print enough the first time around. I printed as many as I could, but we ended up with only about 2000 copies going into retail distribution, and we had about ten times that many orders. A lot of people ended up being disappointed, and we immediately started working toward getting a reprint going.

For various reasons, I decided the best way to fund such a venture would be through another Kickstarter, but that avenue presented its own unique challenges. For one, I am gearing up for the Kickstarter of my next project, Founders of Gloomhaven. And for another, a Kickstarter, in general, should be for a new product, not something you just want to reprint.

Typically with reprint Kickstarters, creators add a bunch of new stretch goals and add-ons to justify going back to Kickstarter, but I didn't want to do that with Gloomhaven because I am happy with how it is. Sure, we'll need to fix some errors, reinforce the box, and solve the issues with the tracking HP and EXP on the character mats, but the last thing I want to do is add more stuff to the box. There's enough in there already.

So the obvious answer to me was to combine the reprint with the Founders of Gloomhaven Kickstarter. They are very different games, but they are set in the same world, so the combination makes enough sense to me. The Kickstarter and the stretch goals will be mainly focused on Founders of Gloomhaven, but there will be a separate pledge level to order the second printing of Gloomhaven.

This is sort of new territory here, and I'm a little scared. Due to the popularity of Gloomhaven and the fact that Founders is very much more of a niche Euro product, I fully expect Gloomhaven pledges to eclipse Founders pledges, leading to a project that is focused on something that only amounts to a small percentage of the pledges. It might be a little weird at first, but with a little ingenuity, I am hoping to be able to combine the two disparate products into a single, coherent Kickstarter project.

By now, you may have a lot of questions. Luckily, I have become well-versed in answering questions these last couple months, so present to you now the Gloomhaven/Founders of Gloomhaven combination Kickstarter FAQ:

Do I have to buy Founders of Gloomhaven in order to buy Gloomhaven?
Oh heavens, no. That would be silly. I don't want to force people to buy a game that they don't want. That sounds like a terrible business practice.

What versions of Gloomhaven will be available?
Due to the timing of the reprint, I don't think I can make standee-only copies available this time around. I need to focus on making a single big-box product, so that will be the retail version with minis, but it will also include the cypher key for the glyphs found in the game. I will also make available options to get separate packs of just character minis and separate packs of just character standees, as well.

What will be changed in the new Glomhaven printing?
As I said above, we will be fixing errors in the rule book, scenario book and cards for the new printing. I will make a list of all of those changes available on BGG after they happen. We will also be reinforcing the box to reduce shipping damage and we will be making custom dials to track HP and EXP instead of using tokens on those poorly cut tracks.

Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future.

Will the solo scenarios be available to purchase through the Kickstarter?
No, but progress is being made to make these available on the Board Game Geek Store for anyone who doesn't want to print the stuff out themselves. I'm not sure when it will be available, though. We're still working out the details.

Okay, enough stalling. When can I get my hands on the new version?
Right, I guess this would be the most important question. It depends on how quickly we can get enough of the art and graphic design done for Founders to get sent off to reviewers, but I am optimistic that we should be able to launch the Kickstarter in early April, aiming for April 6 specifically (4 weeks!). We will ideally begin proofing the Gloomhaven second printing files next week, with the goal of actually starting the print run in the middle of the Kickstarter. This would allow us to have it ready for release by Gen Con in mid-August. We'll need some more time to finish up everything with Founders, though, so I expect that to be out in more of a September/October time frame, ideally in time for Spiel.

Gosh, this letter has gone on way too long. I hope it was comprehensive enough to cover all the major points of the big news. Like I said, the future is looking good! As busy as ever, but good. Maybe some day I'll find some time to continue work on an expansion.

Well, I'll be back in a about a month to let you know when the Kickstarter goes live. Until then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I received the same mailing. Great news for all. Those new HP and XP trackers look really spiffy as well. But I really want to hear more about that expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
you should post the full news:
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
TRIMTRIMMY TRIMTRIMTRIM
where exactly was this posted? D:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasiven wrote:
where exactly was this posted? D:

per email to subscribers of cephalophair games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be moderately disappointed if there's still no way provided for me to download and print the revised scenario book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaviddesJ wrote:
I'm going to be moderately disappointed if there's still no way provided for me to download and print the revised scenario book.
\

same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish the Kickstarter would offer a way to buy the cardboard HP and experience trackers directly, just as a cheap upgrade for first edition backers.

I can see that it is not feasible to offer first-edition backers the other upgrades without them buying a full second copy, but I think this should be a thing.
(Always the disadvantage of being an early adopter...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Dedman
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I wish the Kickstarter would offer a way to buy the cardboard HP and experience trackers directly, just as a cheap upgrade for first edition backers.

I can see that it is not feasible to offer first-edition backers the other upgrades without them buying a full second copy, but I think this should be a thing.

Isaac wrote:
Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future.

First time backers (or anyone) can purchase the cardboard HP and experience trackers at a later date - I'll be looking out for this myself, the dials look sexy. You can even buy a wooden version! Outside of the KS I guess, but then if you own Gloomhaven already, the KS won't be of any interest to you anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

I think in the message it says that is going to be an option through Meeple Realty.

"Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy for everyone who will get a chance at the second printing and I am happy to pick up the new dial for myself. Like others above I am a bit bummed there won't be an "upgrade pack" for my first edition, but I understand why that isn't feasible.

What I truly worry about though is I hope this doesn't put Issac in a bad position. He has been great through this whole thing, and I would hate for some entitled folks turn this thing negative.

By combing the KS's I could see new backers upset their "funding" isn't going towards stretch goals for Gloomhaven. Existing Gloomhaven owners upset that they "aren't being respected" with upgrades. Founders of Gloomhaven backers getting upset they are "lost in the shuffle" with all the noise and controversy sure to arise from Gloomhaven.

Issac has done so much I hope the community treats him with the respect he's earned. People really need to stay realistic with what can be done with one guy, especially is this thing absolutely explodes and there end up being delays and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Nickel Eye wrote:
I'm happy for everyone who will get a chance at the second printing and I am happy to pick up the new dial for myself. Like others above I am a bit bummed there won't be an "upgrade pack" for my first edition, but I understand why that isn't feasible.

What I truly worry about though is I hope this doesn't put Issac in a bad position. He has been great through this whole thing, and I would hate for some entitled folks turn this thing negative.

By combing the KS's I could see new backers upset their "funding" isn't going towards stretch goals for Gloomhaven. Existing Gloomhaven owners upset that they "aren't being respected" with upgrades. Founders of Gloomhaven backers getting upset they are "lost in the shuffle" with all the noise and controversy sure to arise from Gloomhaven.

Yeah that's bound to happen, but the loads of money he's going to make from being able to fulfil demand for such a hugely popular game will probably help make him feel better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news!! I've been waiting to hear an update for weeks now. I think it's going to work out. One advantage is he's already got the game made. Just a couple tweaks here and there shouldn't be an issue. I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspicuously absent (at least at first glance) is how much the new edition will cost? I kind of wish that is close to the first KS campaign, but at the same time hope that he charges what the game is worth. I bet that most people agree that the game was severely undervalued, specially considering how much KDM made the second time around. I firmly believe that $85 is a steal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We need a reset pack as a KS addon!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sp00ns wrote:

I'm just gonna buy a 2nd copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Sp00ns wrote:

Depending on the price I may join you! Though I have no idea where I would store it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gingras
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
alphasquid wrote:
Sp00ns wrote:

Lol... I just might too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LordSun
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am probably getting a copy for about USD130, wonder if it's worth waiting for the reprint or getting it now....any advice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Sp00ns wrote:
Same. Gonna get two of the Meeple Reality Inserts, a pack of dials, and a second copy. Almost want to sell my 1st edition for it, but fuck that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiden00 wrote:
I am probably getting a copy for about USD130, wonder if it's worth waiting for the reprint or getting it now....any advice?

Personally I wouldn't wait if you can get that price right now. It seems to be consensus that the KS price probably won't be as low as last time. So, if it is $100 for a second edition and you have to wait until at least August/September to play? To me it is worth the $30 premium to play it now. Of course I'm biased because I am already enjoying my copy.

Sure the second edition will have some incremental improvements, but there is nothing wrong with the existing game, and it will result in the same game experience.

Only you can make the choice, but I know what I would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully understanding that logistics is a nightmare, I'd 100% be down for an upgrade pack. I know you said it ain't happening, but maybe Meeple Reality would help out with everything... I dunno.

That said, everything looks sweet and I'll be there for Founders first and see what I can pick up for Gloomhaven 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDowell
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an image of the final dial design. It's slightly changed from what was linked in the update. I am also including the back if you'd like to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure how the industry works but is doing a reprint through kickstarter pretty crappy for retailers. You have this massively popular game and retailers are getting very little opportunity to purchase it. I hope he offers a retailer option for 10 copies or so. So many retailers got shafted on this print run and another kickstarter means they will lose some of that business they thought they had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcscowl wrote:
Here is an image of the final dial design. It's slightly changed from what was linked in the update. I am also including the back if you'd like to see it.
(image snipped)
Looks AMAZING!

Dynalange129 wrote:
Not sure how the industry works but is doing a reprint through kickstarter pretty crappy for retailers. You have this massively popular game and retailers are getting very little opportunity to purchase it. I hope he offers a retailer option for 10 copies or so. So many retailers got shafted on this print run and another kickstarter means they will lose some of that business they thought they had.

Isaac would have to front the funds to make all the copies to get it to retailers if he wanted to do the normal form, by using Kickstarter he can get it produced to as many people as possible and then use the KS profits to produce extra/retail copies exactly like he did with the original run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.