Recommend
33 
 Thumb up
 Hide
92 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » News

Subject: Reprint confirmed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wrote:
Which brings me to some big announcements. The question on everyone's lips (or at least the lips of people who don't already have Gloomhaven) seems to be, "When will the game be available again?" You see, I apparently didn't print enough the first time around. I printed as many as I could, but we ended up with only about 2000 copies going into retail distribution, and we had about ten times that many orders. A lot of people ended up being disappointed, and we immediately started working toward getting a reprint going.

For various reasons, I decided the best way to fund such a venture would be through another Kickstarter, but that avenue presented its own unique challenges. For one, I am gearing up for the Kickstarter of my next project, Founders of Gloomhaven. And for another, a Kickstarter, in general, should be for a new product, not something you just want to reprint.

Typically with reprint Kickstarters, creators add a bunch of new stretch goals and add-ons to justify going back to Kickstarter, but I didn't want to do that with Gloomhaven because I am happy with how it is. Sure, we'll need to fix some errors, reinforce the box, and solve the issues with the tracking HP and EXP on the character mats, but the last thing I want to do is add more stuff to the box. There's enough in there already.

So the obvious answer to me was to combine the reprint with the Founders of Gloomhaven Kickstarter. They are very different games, but they are set in the same world, so the combination makes enough sense to me. The Kickstarter and the stretch goals will be mainly focused on Founders of Gloomhaven, but there will be a separate pledge level to order the second printing of Gloomhaven.

This is sort of new territory here, and I'm a little scared. Due to the popularity of Gloomhaven and the fact that Founders is very much more of a niche Euro product, I fully expect Gloomhaven pledges to eclipse Founders pledges, leading to a project that is focused on something that only amounts to a small percentage of the pledges. It might be a little weird at first, but with a little ingenuity, I am hoping to be able to combine the two disparate products into a single, coherent Kickstarter project.

By now, you may have a lot of questions. Luckily, I have become well-versed in answering questions these last couple months, so present to you now the Gloomhaven/Founders of Gloomhaven combination Kickstarter FAQ:

Do I have to buy Founders of Gloomhaven in order to buy Gloomhaven?
Oh heavens, no. That would be silly. I don't want to force people to buy a game that they don't want. That sounds like a terrible business practice.

What versions of Gloomhaven will be available?
Due to the timing of the reprint, I don't think I can make standee-only copies available this time around. I need to focus on making a single big-box product, so that will be the retail version with minis, but it will also include the cypher key for the glyphs found in the game. I will also make available options to get separate packs of just character minis and separate packs of just character standees, as well.

What will be changed in the new Glomhaven printing?
As I said above, we will be fixing errors in the rule book, scenario book and cards for the new printing. I will make a list of all of those changes available on BGG after they happen. We will also be reinforcing the box to reduce shipping damage and we will be making custom dials to track HP and EXP instead of using tokens on those poorly cut tracks.


Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future.

Will the solo scenarios be available to purchase through the Kickstarter?
No, but progress is being made to make these available on the Board Game Geek Store for anyone who doesn't want to print the stuff out themselves. I'm not sure when it will be available, though. We're still working out the details.

Okay, enough stalling. When can I get my hands on the new version?
Right, I guess this would be the most important question. It depends on how quickly we can get enough of the art and graphic design done for Founders to get sent off to reviewers, but I am optimistic that we should be able to launch the Kickstarter in early April, aiming for April 6 specifically (4 weeks!). We will ideally begin proofing the Gloomhaven second printing files next week, with the goal of actually starting the print run in the middle of the Kickstarter. This would allow us to have it ready for release by Gen Con in mid-August. We'll need some more time to finish up everything with Founders, though, so I expect that to be out in more of a September/October time frame, ideally in time for Spiel.

Gosh, this letter has gone on way too long. I hope it was comprehensive enough to cover all the major points of the big news. Like I said, the future is looking good! As busy as ever, but good. Maybe some day I'll find some time to continue work on an expansion.

Well, I'll be back in a about a month to let you know when the Kickstarter goes live. Until then!


source: HERE
36 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, makes me want to sell my unused copy right now, so I can get the better copy soon (and probably make more money in the process than it's going to cost me)...

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Can you please link the source?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for missing the first Kickstarter!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Can you please link the source?

email from cephalophair games subscriber list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
Can you please link the source?

http://archive.aweber.com/isaac-childres/Dng5G/h/A_Flood_of_...
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Au
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
shnar wrote:
Hm, makes me want to sell my unused copy right now, so I can get the better copy soon (and probably make more money in the process than it's going to cost me)...

-shnar


Madness, then you miss out on playing for most of the year!

Why not just buy another copy... it's a legacy game right? Need another copy for another full play through!

J/K of course, but I do want some of those upgraded components too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Zolzar wrote:
shnar wrote:
Hm, makes me want to sell my unused copy right now, so I can get the better copy soon (and probably make more money in the process than it's going to cost me)...

-shnar


Madness, then you miss out on playing for most of the year!

Why not just buy another copy... it's a legacy game right? Need another copy for another full play through!

J/K of course, but I do want some of those upgraded components too.


I think I sort of wanted a 2nd copy anyways.

I wonder if the meeplepeeple(?) insert will work in the new box with the new components?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Its will alone snuffs out the stars and its shadow ends realities
badge
The end is just the beginning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this be a better option to get the game sooner than waiting on a retail pre-order (ordered it from Miniature Market in early December)? Or will outstanding retail pre-orders just likely be fulfilled at the same time?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
Will this be a better option to get the game sooner than waiting on a retail pre-order (ordered it from Miniature Market in early December)? Or will outstanding retail pre-orders just likely be fulfilled at the same time?



This is what he said in the email, so it seems that the unfulfilled pre-order print run will be paid for by this kickstarter:

Cephalofair wrote:
You see, I apparently didn't print enough the first time around. I printed as many as I could, but we ended up with only about 2000 copies going into retail distribution, and we had about ten times that many orders. A lot of people ended up being disappointed, and we immediately started working toward getting a reprint going.

For various reasons, I decided the best way to fund such a venture would be through another Kickstarter...

1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay!

Though I do wish the solo scenarios were part of the KS. Understand why not, though. I'll definitely be picking up a copy of those too once they're available.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
chamoxil wrote:


This is what he said in the email, so it seems that the outstanding pre-order print run will be paid for by this kickstarter:



Can you please describe what an 'outstanding pre-order print run' is?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
Will this be a better option to get the game sooner than waiting on a retail pre-order (ordered it from Miniature Market in early December)? Or will outstanding retail pre-orders just likely be fulfilled at the same time?




So, if you still have a pre-order with that store, and others do too, then you are somewhere on a list. Here's what will happen, as best as I can figure.

Isaac will run his kickstarter, and then he'll print a certain number of copies. Many of those will go to the kickstarter backers. Maybe he allows pre-orders through his site again, in which case many more will go to those people that pre-order directly through him.

Most of what's left over will be set aside for retail. Once again, Cephalofair's middle-man will take orders from distributors. Each distributor will order a number of copies. Meanwhile, retail stores will be ordering from their distributors, while they take pre-orders from customers like us. Some of them will already have pre-orders left over from the first print run.

After a certain deadline, distributors are no longer allowed to place orders. After that point, Cephalofair's middleman will look at how many copies he has available to send out, and then he'll look at how many copies were ordered by distributors. If more copies are ordered than he has available, he'll notify the distributors how much they are actually getting. Then the distrributors will notify the stores how many copies they are actually getting.

It is entirely possible that some stores may not get enough (again) to meet all their pre-orders, especially seeing how popular this game has gotten.

Anyways, your store will look at what number you are on their list of preorders. If your number is equal to or lower than the number of copies they are going to receive, then YES! You will be notified by them that you will be receiving your preorder. If not, then no, you will not receive your preoroder.

Hope this helps!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
chamoxil wrote:


This is what he said in the email, so it seems that the outstanding pre-order print run will be paid for by this kickstarter:



Can you please describe what an 'outstanding pre-order print run' is?


out·stand·ing
adjective

remaining to be paid, done, or dealt with.
"there was a small charge outstanding"
synonyms: to be done, undone, unattended to, unfinished, incomplete, remaining, pending,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
chamoxil wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
chamoxil wrote:


This is what he said in the email, so it seems that the outstanding pre-order print run will be paid for by this kickstarter:



Can you please describe what an 'outstanding pre-order print run' is?


out·stand·ing
adjective

remaining to be paid, done, or dealt with.
"there was a small charge outstanding"
synonyms: to be done, undone, unattended to, unfinished, incomplete, remaining, pending,


Are you saying that all unfulfilled retail pre-orders will be fulfilled by this 2nd print run?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
chamoxil wrote:
alphasquid wrote:
chamoxil wrote:


This is what he said in the email, so it seems that the outstanding pre-order print run will be paid for by this kickstarter:



Can you please describe what an 'outstanding pre-order print run' is?


out·stand·ing
adjective

remaining to be paid, done, or dealt with.
"there was a small charge outstanding"
synonyms: to be done, undone, unattended to, unfinished, incomplete, remaining, pending,


Are you saying that all unfulfilled retail pre-orders will be fulfilled by this 2nd print run?


I'm not saying that. He said it... I guess you could interpret it another way, but I interpreted the following quote to mean that since there were ten times as many retail pre-orders than copies made, he's going to need to fund a reprint to fulfill those retail orders with the next kickstarter. And I quote:

cephalofair wrote:

You see, I apparently didn't print enough the first time around. I printed as many as I could, but we ended up with only about 2000 copies going into retail distribution, and we had about ten times that many orders. A lot of people ended up being disappointed, and we immediately started working toward getting a reprint going.

For various reasons, I decided the best way to fund such a venture would be through another Kickstarter...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the price of the reprint will be the same or if it will be more expensive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
I wonder if the price of the reprint will be the same or if it will be more expensive.


The price is more than the original Kickstarter but less than current retail. It'll be $100. You can hear it from Isaac in my interview with him at http://www.TabletopGameTalk.com. The interview will be up March 9th at 5:00am central time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No campaign reset kit ? so sad about that.... well, I'm going to have to spend $50 on a professionally printed map and stickers.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carkara wrote:
No campaign reset kit ? so sad about that.... well, I'm going to have to spend $50 on a professionally printed map and stickers.



Not trying to troll, but a sincere question. If the new edition is $100 on KS, why would you pay $50 for a "good-enough" reset kit instead of getting a whole second copy? That way you wouldn't have to wade through what did and didn't need to be undone/printed and you could just start fresh?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
steele22374 wrote:
You can hear it from Isaac in my interview with him at http://www.TabletopGameTalk.com. The interview will be up March 9th at 5:00am central time.

Considering that would be in the past, I have to assume you meant a different date and time? Haha... Otherwise, I can't seem to find it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickel Eye wrote:
Not trying to troll, but a sincere question. If the new edition is $100 on KS, why would you pay $50 for a "good-enough" reset kit instead of getting a whole second copy?


One reason could be to avoid waste.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Nickel Eye wrote:
Not trying to troll, but a sincere question. If the new edition is $100 on KS, why would you pay $50 for a "good-enough" reset kit instead of getting a whole second copy?


One reason could be to avoid waste.


Or maybe the proposed amount of money is more valuable than the proposed amount of time to the individual.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Carlo Alves da Silva
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
Quote:
Can I get updated books/dials for my current copy of Gloomhaven?
Like I said, I can let you know what the changes are, but it is just not logistically viable to give or even sell new books to everyone who would want them. I can, however, help you with the dials. Or rather, Meeple Realty can. We are working with them to offer everyone an opportunity to buy official Gloomhaven HP/EXP dials for their current game. They will very soon be offering a wood option, and a cardboard version exactly like what will be in the second printing will be available in the future.


I understand this from a logistics point of view. However as someone who bought the KS this feels weird. A few months after i received my copy a better version of game will be available with no way of me to upgrade my version.

I dont know what the solution is but i think a type of upgrade kit should be available to the original backers which made this possible.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some of the original backers seem upset but to be honest...

This is @#$! awesome news!!!

I've been sorely tempted by Ebay, despite the crazy prices.

I think this is actually going to work out well for the creator - I'm betting many more people will buy the new Euro game than would have had he offered it alone. I'm thinking about it just as a way of offering my thanks.

Yay!!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.