United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-3 d10-7

I found having a blue and red D10, help add bonuses to the battle results.

When I need to subtract, I take them off the D6 die rolls to keep everything straight.

Love the carnage in this game. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
That's great advice, Josh.

I started using 2d20 when playing K1561, myself, because there are a lot of modifiers flying about I am bad at arithmetic. d20 seem to work better for me, especially if a unit wanders into a bear trap

Methodically going through each attacker's column/line, then defenders, then bonus modifiers, then terrain modifiers still takes a while, but the dice definitely make it easier to visualise everything. At least, I think I'm making less mistakes these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Blofeld
United States
Ocean View
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great minds think alike, I just got the game this week and have been doing the same thing with 12 sided die.

The combat system does take a bit of effort to calculate, but it is very clever and 'bakes in' a lot of variables. Pike and shot is a difficult enough era to simulate, nevermind the cultural differences between Western and Samurai warfare. I have to tip my hat to the designer for coming up with such a clever way to resolve combat.

I also am enjoying the orders system so far. Usually I've found order systems for tactical or grand tactical games to be clunky and unmanageable, but this order system makes sense and flows well.

I must say there are a lot of pleasant "Why didn't I think of that?" elements to the game's design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea !

How do you denote the positive or negative values ?

Thank you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For negatives, I subtract from the D6's turning them down to the lower result. Or even removing one D6, if it gets that low.

Ikeda had a result last night, where his red dice got down to one 1.
He got pummeled pretty bad. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Efvehem wrote:
Very good idea !

How do you denote the positive or negative values ?

Thank you !
With the d20, I place them on the upper-left (negative) or upper-right (positive) of the CRT for the column,and upper-left (negative) or lower-left (positive) for the line. As I said earlier, anything to help me visualise it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.