Subject: Fourth failed attempt on scenario 3... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this scenario is literally killing me. Four times has my scoundrel and brute been beaten. Closest I've been is killing eight monsters, but I always run out of cards and end up exhausted. At this rate I'll run out of city and road events!
Might need to stop using the extra difficulty for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
scenario 5 is much harder,... our brute and tinkerer simply couldn't manage it. =(

but if you reattempt a scenario you don't need to draw another city or road event, just simply start from the beginning. Your team is not very well versed for survival as you have not many cards to heal or absorb damage. Any cards that give shield or retaliate should be premium, also you really need to be able to put out enough damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My group beat it by going all out right from the start losing as much cards as needed to kill the monsters as fast as possible. I guess we only had like 7 or 8 rounds total. But we played with 3 players (Gragheart, Spellweaver and Mindthief) and area of effect attacks were really helpful. I also read somewhere on these forums that another group just opened one of the first huts to barricade themselves inside and then basically killed off the monsters funneling through the door one by one.

Eyegleam wrote:
Yeah, scenario 3 is really something very different compared to the ones we've played so far. We played this scenario over the weekend with 3 players, and after we saw the 10(!) monsters already present during the very first turn, we realized that we basically have to go all out right from the get go.

Myself playing the Gragheart (together with a Spellweaver and Mindthief) I used Rumbling Advance to position myself right next to the two Inox Guards on the left side (damaging 2 in the process while infusing the battlefield with the earth element), and setting up Backup Ammunition for future turns. After that all 4 Guards focused on me and I took quite a beating. But on my next turn I went first and played the bottom action of Crater consuming the earth element (dealing 3 damage to all 4 Inox Guards around me) and the top action of Unstable Upheavel resulting in another Attack 3 against all 4. It was glorious! (though I missed one that the Mindthief took care off while the Spellweaver went late and used a Move 8 to position herself directly between the archers, unleashing a series of different area of effect attacks for 3 rounds straight while using her cloak to turn invisible)

The scenario was an absolute blast and encouraged to play very differently than our usual very conservative play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
scenario 5 is much harder,... our brute and tinkerer simply couldn't manage it. =(

but if you reattempt a scenario you don't need to draw another city or road event, just simply start from the beginning. Your team is not very well versed for survival as you have not many cards to heal or absorb damage. Any cards that give shield or retaliate should be premium, also you really need to be able to put out enough damage.

Interesting. We didn't really have a problem with scenario 5. It wasn't a blowout and there was some good tension with some tight spots...but it really wasn't too bad overall. 2p, Tinkerer and Cragheart.

Scenario 3 was a beast. We took a gamble, and the Tinkerer went invis, dashed towards the backroom and took up residence there. The Cragheart attempted to follow, failed, threw up a barricade, and proceeded to get picked off while the Tinkerer came back out to save him (Cragheart exhausted anyway). We won, but it literally came down to a card draw...and then another. Basically, we only won because we pulled a 2x when it mattered most. It should've been a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 beat us once, brute, SW, Scondrel. We redid it, and absolutely went all out first room, saving moves to get further on quickly. And did the last part splitting forces, Brute one room and others next room. NOTE we were level 3, as we got sidetracked on some side quests... I can't imagine going straight from 2 to 3, we would have died too I think. Normal level btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:

I've been moving back to the City of Gloom to buy items and level up after all of my attempts. I kept dying so I figured I'd buy some items to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We hid in one of the side rooms at first and then after we dealt with the archers, we could outrun the guards and only engage 1 or 2 of them per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheous wrote:
3 beat us once, brute, SW, Scondrel. We redid it, and absolutely went all out first room, saving moves to get further on quickly. And did the last part splitting forces, Brute one room and others next room. NOTE we were level 3, as we got sidetracked on some side quests... I can't imagine going straight from 2 to 3, we would have died too I think. Normal level btw.

I have actually thought about doing a sidequest instead of retrying 3 and thinking this will be the time when I emerge victorious. Not so.
Might need to reconsider though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
We hid in one of the side rooms at first and then after we dealt with the archers, we could outrun the guards and only engage 1 or 2 of them per round.

I tried this approach (without using a room) with going after the archers first.
They are definately in the annoying category together with the range 3 healing ability of the shaman.
This is what gets me every time, and the fact that the guards seem to always have one too many hit pointscry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Heath
Indonesia
Surabaya
flag msg tools
badge
My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB0rnW5_Aq0SjMT4PKQOYg
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

you only pull a city card when back at Gloomhaven,

City cards are optional anyway - See page 43 of the Rulebook at the top of the page

"Once per visit to Gloomhaven , a party may complete a city event"

emphasis is mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat this one by rushing the left room first and killing what was in there to make only one Guard advance on us at a time, and then when we were ready, killed that one Guard and rushed out of the room to kill the Archers and Shaman. Basically we made sure no new Guards spawned and kited the Archers closer to us until we could actually reach them to kill them. Almost didn't have enough guys on the board to kill. At the end, Scoundrel jumped into the back room and went invisible, murdering the Archer immediately and Singling Out the Shaman to kill him too, giving him plenty of time to leisurely pick up treasure while the rest of the group finished off the guards.

Took two tries, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Leroux
Canada
flag msg tools
The scenario is not as difficult as it sound. I complete it today with the Brute and the Mindthief. Don't rush in the guard as you will get killed.

First turn I let the ennemy come to me using range attack on the guard and summon rats to distract the guard. I then rush the 2 archers and shaman in the back. Guard don't move that fast.

Once you kill them you have to dispose of the additionnal guard and the 3 initial guards.

I open the top door before the guard were all dead staying in the main room. Since the archer had no line of sight he had to step on a trap to attack.

The rest was easy.

Happy hunting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.