Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What were everyone's biggest takeaways from the live stream?

I have only seen the start but was blown away by how much there is to the events and scenario system. This is a STORY GAME with some area control and resource management elements that up until now was masquerading only as a light area control game.

I'm also really impressed how variable the setup stuff is. You can start all planets revealed or reveal as you explore for example.

There is a LOT more game than I was expecting.

What stood out to everyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You mentioned the story and variability, Tom - what I was really struck by is how many different types of action cards there are going to be.

I was under the impression that the cards were just going to be resource conversions to gain diplomacy/influence in a system - I didn't realize the variety of mission cards that are also going to be in the action deck, as well as the planetary events! My understanding (possibly wrong) is that you can play the events if you draw them at your discretion, which allows you all sorts of interesting set-ups for getting the most out of an event, while still being able to just use the card in combat if the event itself isn't useful to you.

Given that drawing/discarding/using cards is also interwoven into the action/selection choices, it really seems like the cardplay is going to be incredibly rich (and thematic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Smith
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, from memory of reading the (admittedly outdated) rulebook that if you draw an event card it must be played and resolved immediately, it doesn't go into your hand. After that you draw another card to go into your hand instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my understanding, also based upon the outdated rulebook ducksboy has it right. The Mission cards are those action cards that can be held and played instantly when their requirements are met, Event cards are played immediately upon drawing them allowing the player to then draw a replacement card and a straight up action card is played as a game action during your turn or when following another player's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ducksboy wrote:
I think, from memory of reading the (admittedly outdated) rulebook that if you draw an event card it must be played and resolved immediately, it doesn't go into your hand. After that you draw another card to go into your hand instead.

Ah, thanks you two. I guess I assumed that you got to play it at your discretion, since if it auto-played you essentially wouldn't be getting a card, but getting to draw another one right after would handle that issue completely.

Still, with the missions added in with the diplomacy cards, it still looks like a ton of play in the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to watch the 'live' feed for a third time and take notes to cover all my takeaways! It was just THAT packed with information!

#1. Players can not only gain goods from the uninhabited planets but they can additionally build on them, W w what!

#2. Farsides of planets still exist but offer less potential to keep the board tight and encourage player interaction.

#3. Good tokens on Capital spaces are face up but those elsewhere are facedown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's definitely drawing a LOT of personality from the cards. And clearly no two games will be alike which is really exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally passed the game by, then saw more posts on BGG about changes being made. i just went and watched the live stream and now I'm backing. The game has a lot more story and depth than I originally thought.

I hope more people see the additional detail I did, if they gave it a first look and moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The stream yesterday was great (apart from the technical hitches).

The team explained a lot more about ....

a) Board variability with the new spaces on the board for the random planets to be placed. Interesting that it can be played face down or face up. I'm not sure yet which is better, but playing sometimes with either could be cool.

b) The event cards. Giving some examples of these were really great and it will be nice to see them when Ryan posts them.

c) The fact that you can build structures on small planets, encounter tokens on small planets.

d) The new tech abilities for races that will allow for variability of play of each race. The fact that they won't be tech trees is nice as it won't feel processional in how you do things.

e) The storytelling of the events. Each planet currently has 5 different events that could be drawn, so not every game will be the same.

f) The possibility of expansion with different planets, different event cards and scenarios.

g) The fact that turns are quick and interactive. One of the biggest criticisms in my group is players playing long turns in games that feel solo mode.

h) The fact that the game doesn't really have a Kingmaker problem. This is something that really killed Eclipse for us.

i) The enthusiasm of Ryan for his game and his art showed through. A game designer has to be passionate about his work and that really showed through on the stream.

The only slightly negative things ..

Unlikely to get clear plastic bases for the ship minis. Still would really love this one as the stand in pieces they used in the first demo looked great.

No cat planet in the current setup. Ryan you know that the cats will be trying to take over the Galaxy.

Anyway, it was so positive that I decided to back this morning. I'd like to see the revised play through still though when its done.

Gavin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Ryans stuff, but I decided to pass on this game since my wife and I are not huge on combat and what was on the page made the game seem like a light 4x game that would have a lot of combat. That said, after watching that live-stream, we are 100% sold on the game and will be backing. I am such a sucker for RRG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Helderman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need more backers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.