Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Hetland
United States
Mercer Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I have been really enjoying the game and have now played it multiple times. However, we've found that in each of our games, the player that got the Herb Biscuit card (by getting a 1,2,3 valued special herb card into their Glass Jar) ended up winning (and by no more than 5 points, meaning that had they not gotten that biscuit card, they would not have won).

I know the game has luck in it, but getting this card seems too much based on luck and the impact of the card possibly too powerful. This may not be the case in a game with more than 2p.

Has anyone else experienced this? I recognize that my wife and I just may not be good enough at the game to mitigate the impact of the Biscuit card, but after a number of 2p games the card feels too strong.

Luckily, the game is still super fun and light enough that losing by way of not getting the biscuit card doesn't hurt too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll let others comment, but you might consider simply removing the bonus and seeing how you like it. We played like that originally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could house rule that the biscuit bonus is equal to the number of players -- that should make it less formidable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience it's been pretty much impossible to get that bonus in a 2 player game. It happened in our first game, but since, both my wife and I have been very diligent in trying to stop each other from getting it. It also depends on at least one of each special herb being in the deck, and with the number of cards you remove in a 2 player game, we have found that all three copies of at least one special herb has ended up in the pre game discard a lot more often than what feels intuitive… not sure if that's just due to an insufficient sample size, or if the statistical chance of that happening is actually pretty big (I think we're talking about 50 % of plays here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, just my observation after few couple of games played.

2 player games played: 51
Biscuit bonus archieved:
me - 11x
opponent - 14x

this means biscuit bonus was granted in 49% games. How the games went?
games won: 13
games lost: 12

it means the player who get the bonus won in 52% cases. Well, I know this is just a few games, but I really don't see the bonus broken as you described. It is nice to get it, but the game is decided elsewhere.

hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Six months late I know, but, I wanted to say that, "Yes" we have found the same in a two player game. Just to clarify the scoring; how we do it-
3 cards in the jar- 6points
Biscuit card- 5 points
1+2+3 for the cards 6 points
So 17 points total.
The last game I played I thought I lost (by 2 points). The other player pointed out that I did not include the 1+2+3 point values from the cards in my score. So, then, I won by 4 points. This makes me wonder if adding in the 1+2+3 card points values should be left out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Bear wrote:
Six months late I know, but, I wanted to say that, "Yes" we have found the same in a two player game. Just to clarify the scoring; how we do it-
3 cards in the jar- 6points
Biscuit card- 5 points
1+2+3 for the cards 6 points
So 17 points total.
The last game I played I thought I lost (by 2 points). The other player pointed out that I did not include the 1+2+3 point values from the cards in my score. So, then, I won by 4 points. This makes me wonder if adding in the 1+2+3 card points values should be left out?

That would change the balance of the glass jar quite a bit:

Being first with the 1 + 2 + 3 special herb combo would now just give you a total of 11 points.

If you never counted the extra points for the special herbs in the glass jar, any three cards in it (other than being first with 1 + 2 + 3) would only give you 6 points. This would probably make the biscuit card even more powerful than it already is.

If, on the other hand, you only didn't get the 6 points from the special herbs if you also got the biscuit card, the following would happen:

- Getting the biscuit would give you a total of 11 points.
- Getting the 1 + 2 + 3 combo, but not being the first, thus not getting the biscuit, would give you 12 points (just like it does with the rules as printed).
- Getting a glass jar with three Thyme would now become the best combo to go for, since it gives you 15 points.

So getting the biscuit would then amount to a punishment, not a reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.