Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
...and I'm back in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some games where at least one player has a deck of cards that they use for actions, but when this deck runs out they lose? I'm sure there are many others, but I can only think of Android: Netrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I believe Ortus Regni fits the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you also lose in Magic if you aren't able to draw from your deck, but it's not your life per se.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zappshmeow94 wrote:

In this game, your hand is your life, not your card deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruiser419 wrote:
Well, you also lose in Magic if you aren't able to draw from your deck, but it's not your life per se.

The Star Wars CCG had this concept. If you ran out of cards in your deck, you lost. Man, I loved that game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeon of D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set immediately comes to mind. Not only is there a blessings deck that, when it runs out, you fail the mission, but if you cannot draw cards to your hand on your turn, your hero dies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War Co.: Expandable Card Game has an interesting twist on card dueling where you can draw as many cards as you want each turn, but you also have to discard a card each turn, and it's your life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set immediately comes to mind. Not only is there a blessings deck that, when it runs out, you fail the mission, but if you cannot draw cards to your hand on your turn, your hero dies.

This was my first thought too. All of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Games have this feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamerstl wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

The Star Wars CCG had this concept. If you ran out of cards in your deck, you lost. Man, I loved that game...

It's still around (albeit out of print and rather expensive if you want unopened boosters). They still hold annual tournaments for it and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The WWE Raw Deal CCG used this as a mechanic and it worked extremely well, keeping the flow of the game fast-paced and allowing for a natural feeling way of "reversing" your opponents attacks.

I liked it as a way of marking damage and thematically it suited the game well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hera and Zeus

Both players are required to win before their deck runs out. Or more specifically, when they can't use all their actions (among which, drawing cards is a standard action). Having lots of cards is super helpful, but you have to be careful when approaching the end of your deck.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima: Convoy seems to fit the bill for the Moloch player. The Outpost's win condition is practically to mill the Moloch player to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think oddball Äeronauts and its sequel count.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paladin
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a looooong time, but I think that
RIFTS Collectible Card Game works like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering has a loss condition in which, if you can't draw cards from your deck (or something), you lose. Millstone decks, which relied on the Millstone card to force your opponent to discard cards, were popular at one time, for casual play, at least.

Aside from Magic, Battletech and Xena CCGs were some of the earliest I remember. Not very good games, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yashima: Legend of the Kami Masters is a card-driven miniatures game where each player customizes their chosen kami master and engages in player vs. player or team vs. team combat. It includes four characters and four kami, each with their own deck of cards. Each player's life is determined by the Battle Deck, It is used to gain karma, and also unleashes attacks against your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Destiny use your deck up and you lose. I so didn't want to like this game... so I fell in love with it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
perrygf wrote:

Excellent game, but it's your hand that is your life, not the whole deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:

Came here to say that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
perrygf wrote:

Excellent game, but it's your hand that is your life, not the whole deck.

True. Same as Island Of D 2: The Shadow of Dawn which is another very fun one in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
I haven't played it, but I believe Ortus Regni fits the bill.

This game also has a mechanism whereby if you have the right card in play you can simulate bequeathing your estate to another lord (on your deathbed as it were) giving you the ability to go back through your deck a second time. If you can time that one just right it can be a game winner, because if any player runs out of cards it's game over for them, they have died.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's other card games generally have decking out as a loss condition. Arkham Horror:TCG merely makes it highly undesirable (sanity loss for shuffling). Still not exactly your life though.

Technically your hand is your life in Netrunner too, which means you have far less health than your deck size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battletech collectible card game by WOTC required you to attack each other's deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.