Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know what the final size of the cards are so I can procure sleeves for when I buy the game myself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to my inquiry on Facebook was 6cm x 11cm, which is French Tarot.

These are the sleeves that should fit: https://www.maydaygames.com/products/dwarf-king-card-sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you sleeved them yet? Do you know if they do in fact fit the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfoot wrote:
Have you sleeved them yet? Do you know if they do in fact fit the cards?

I have the game already - I'll be opening and sleeving them on Sunday. I'll let you know then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday Dwarf King standard (MDG-7113) are perfect. They'll fit inside the insert (European version).

If you get the premium, the likely won't fit inside the insert due to the thickness of the sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why sleeve? The cards are never shuffled, rarely handled, and it really doesn't matter if they are "marked" as each one has its own unique identifying numbe front and back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep my cards as pristine as possible but I also want to share my game. Best of both worlds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding on this thread slightly as I have the Non-US English version and the BGG version of The Elite scenario.

There is a significant card size difference between the two products. My question is if anyone knows if the US versions are going to have a different card size than the Non-US English version or was product version of The Elite scenario printed in an incorrect size?

If there is a planned size difference, I am curious why Space Cowboys/Asmodee made that choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This speculative information is inaccurate. See post below.

I believe that the cards used in the US version of Unlock is FFG Tarot (organge).

If you look at the video below, the rep from Asmodee is presenting one of first American pre-productions copies Unlock. Around 7:05, if you measure the length of the game box versus the length of the cards, you get a 19mm to 12mm ratio. Assuming the dimensions of the version are correct, the ratio gives us a 12.67cm card length which corresponds well with Tarot sized cards (12cm).

I certainly don't mind the larger cards. It makes everything easier to read and we get to appreciate the larger graphics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
qasic wrote:
I believe that the cards used in the US version of Unlock is FFG Tarot (organge).

I certainly don't mind the larger cards. It makes everything easier to read and we get to appreciate the larger graphics.

Thank you for the info. I can definitely see why they made them bigger. It may not have been necessary, but bigger art is always appreciated. Space Cowboy always has great artists working on their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked on Facebook and this is the response I got.

Space Cowboys US wrote:
All versions of Unlock (US and Europe) have a different card size than the FFG Tarot-size. Unlock cards are shorter and thinner. Cards for The Elite were resized to fit our printing capabilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would counsel against sleeving the game.

It doesn't matter if the cards get s bit marked, they are never shuffled, they see relatively little handling, and reflections from being sleeved might affect the gameplay.

Especially that last point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Love playing tile games!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
reflections from being sleeved might affect the gameplay

I've gotten 20 plays of the game with sleeved cards and this last point has never been an issue for the groups that have played with my cards.

EDIT: To be fair, there was one issue that did crop up from using sleeves (likely due to the type of sleeves I used). There was one sleeved card that got stuck to another card to the point that the group had thought a card was missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a terrible memory; its noticeably awful. But even I would struggle to play each scenario a scone time, le alone getting anything close to 20 plays out of the box.

Unlock is a fascinating experience - like an escape room. But it's essentially "one and done", and with no cards re-used between the three scenarios in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
qasic wrote:
The answer to my inquiry on Facebook was 6cm x 11cm, which is French Tarot.

These are the sleeves that should fit: https://www.maydaygames.com/products/dwarf-king-card-sleeves

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Beaulieu
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!
badge
Take the power back!
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Why sleeve? The cards are never shuffled, rarely handled, and it really doesn't matter if they are "marked" as each one has its own unique identifying numbe front and back!

It's useful if.you want to.sleeve PnP scenario since homemade printer paper is.not as durable as factory print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.