Subject: Future expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Hassgård
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
So do we think that this game will keep getting expansions? Or do the game feel "complete" now with the aztecs? Wondering what else they could put in the game and how many cards there can be for each faction before it starts to feel like there are too many cards for each faction (as in cards that just never will get used). New factions are always nice. But a new faction also have to come with cards for the old factions and i guess there is a limit to how many cards they want to put in an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly we're missing the post-apocalyptic tribes from 51st State who will be able to draw cards from other faction's faction decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
World Cup time!!!! All work in the morning will include the tv being on Fox or Telemundo. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
zamoose wrote:
Clearly we're missing the post-apocalyptic tribes from 51st State who will be able to draw cards from other faction's faction decks.

Mongols? They took other's ideas and used them for themselves. I can't think of another Civ of the top of my head that would fit that idea (I am sure there are others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I literally mean tiny little 51st State road warriors and post-apocalyptic fighters, rendered in the inimitable cute Imperial Settlers style and their faction power literally lets them draw cards off other factions' faction decks in lieu of the common deck. Cobble together an empire made of the bones of your foes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rombie wrote:
So do we think that this game will keep getting expansions? Or do the game feel "complete" now with the aztecs? Wondering what else they could put in the game and how many cards there can be for each faction before it starts to feel like there are too many cards for each faction (as in cards that just never will get used). New factions are always nice. But a new faction also have to come with cards for the old factions and i guess there is a limit to how many cards they want to put in an expansion.

I was wondering about that, since the expansion structure is so unusual. There's also the tension between tournament and casual play. At this rather the next faction expansion Will have to have 50 + 60 + 20 cards just for the faction decks, just to be on par with previous ones. With aztecs the common cards were dropped, but each released faction and empire pack with increase the amount of card variety required.

I'm guessing we'll see 1 faction and 1-2 empire packs still, but beyond that the expansion size is going to get too unwieldy for the current format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I work on future expansions. Worry not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:

Well, you've successfully turned worry into anxious waiting

EDIT: But seriously, if you don't mind me asking, as a designer and publisher, do you feel there is a hard limit to expanding Imperial Settlers in the current format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Hassgård
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woa nice reply from Mr Trzewiczek! Was not expecting that, but now we know that we got stuff to look forward to in the coming years as well

But what expansions what factions are people most hoping for? We have asia, roman, egypt, aztecs (native american) and atlantis (mythical). My first thought was some viking style as the most obvious one. A lumber focused faction that could however end up being similar to barbarians since vikings survived on plundering others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rombie wrote:
My first thought was some viking style as the most obvious one.

Nah, as much as I enjoy Feast for Odin, Blood Rage, Vikings gone Wild and what not - not another Norse / Viking theme, please.

What about Persia / Mesopotamia instead? That would fit into the classical era, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Farydia wrote:
Rombie wrote:
My first thought was some viking style as the most obvious one.

Nah, as much as I enjoy Feast for Odin, Blood Rage, Vikings gone Wild and what not - not another Norse / Viking theme, please.

What about Persia / Mesopotamia instead? That would fit into the classical era, as well.

Africa has enough ancient civilizations to inspire game or three, surely we could fit few more into IS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Hassgård
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I still think that vikings would be the easiest one to put into the game, but i agree that they are getting a bit overused lately. Another theme that i thought about was some Icelandic faction, just for the different land art. lol

But yea a middle eastern faction sounds great as well! Arabia, Persia or any of those countries would fit in well. But it would have to be one and not everyone of them for the same reason to why i don't want Greek because we already have Rome or China because we already have Japan. Although Mongolians would probably be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Although Mongolians would probably be cool.

I thought the Barbarians were supposed to be Mongol-esque?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Βραδύπους Ένα
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greek (ancient) faction please... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scots/Celts/Picts perhaps? Maybe Native Americans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolfe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a Persian Faction would be really neat. Being in the middle of the Silk Road, they have a lot of cultural/historical references to draw thematic elements from. Maybe they could somehow benefit from trade with other players like Open Productions. They probably have different Actions that let them swap one type of Good for another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see India or Persia, maybe the Ottomans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
wolfejo wrote:
I think a Persian Faction would be really neat. Being in the middle of the Silk Road, they have a lot of cultural/historical references to draw thematic elements from. Maybe they could somehow benefit from trade with other players like Open Productions.
In the future if there is a US faction, it's special powers would be to prevent the Persian faction from trading devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Morgan
msg tools
trzewik wrote:

Great news, I'm sure you aren't going to give hints on what factions we might have to look forward to but are you able to give any indication on timescale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard van der Woord
Netherlands
Assen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I recently read something from Ignazy that a true civilization game needs technology, religion and culture. As Imperial Settlers was not intentionally meant as a civilization game the base game lacked all of them (please correct me if I am wrong). With the expensions Atlanteans and Aztecs they brought technology and religion. So I assume it will be a faction where culture is important. Perhaps Indians, Vikings (as indeed mentioned earlier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Instagram photo posted sometime this week (or last week) seemed to imply that *maybe" the next faction *might* be the Greeks?

Was a picture taken at the Parthenon or some other Ancient Greece building with a caption about possibly researching the next expansion faction.

I accused them of being teases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hist wrote:
An Instagram photo posted sometime this week (or last week) seemed to imply that *maybe" the next faction *might* be the Greeks?

Was a picture taken at the Parthenon or some other Ancient Greece building with a caption about possibly researching the next expansion faction.

I accused them of being teases

Cool. Perhaps a 'God' Mechanic of some sort for all factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Dejesus

California
msg tools
There should definitely be a mini expansion like Why can't We Be Friends that involves more war type cards. Like taking cards from other players or placing traps in other players empires or even stealing resources. Something to add more interaction between players and giving the ability to prevent a player from getting too many points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.