Subject: Definition of coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Dunkle

Christiana
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played our first game and loved it except...she has it in her head that when it comes to scoring, you count the physical coin tokens and divide by two. Even after reading the description of coins in the glossary, she is insistent that you count the number of tokens and divide by two. When I pointed out that even if we traded in the 5 coins for singles, it would end up the same, she still argues. Somehow part of her argument is based on there not being a specification of whether you round up or down after dividing by two. I don't see how this makes a difference, though.

Could someone confirm that it is the value of the coins and not the number of coin tokens that are used for scoring? And if there is an odd number, do you round up or down?

Thanks,
Jon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the glossary at the back of the rules:
"Coins – The standard currency. Yes, when it says “gain 1 coin”, a “25” coin is technically one coin, but you know what it means, and so do the people you're playing with. [stern look] Yes, they could have been called "dollars" or "bucks", but they're not."

To me, that means the total value is the number of "coins", not the number of tokens.

Further, scoring says you "score 1 point for every 2 coins". So if you have one extra coin after dividing by two, you don't have two left so you don't score a point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Also the component list refers to them as 'tokens' (e.g. "5 coin" token. The currency is coin, and the tokens are worth X coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if she continues to insist on such a bizarre approach, at the end of the game, before scoring, let her count her coins while you exchange all of yours for 1 value coins and then count those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife sounds a lot like mine, she just likes to argue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just chime in to note that we considered many options for the currency name.

As the glossary states, I didn't want to use "dollars", because the scale of the costs didn't read well (build a ride for 6 dollars?!) and it wasn't international enough (which is also why we ended up with several common currency symbols on the tokens instead of just dollars).

I didn't want to use a name like "tickets" or "tokens" (as in the type of tokens used in amusement arcades) because it needed to make sense in a real world setting outside the park for things like Gangsters (who would accept a bribe in amusement tokens?!)

We even looked at a made-up currency:

Initial testing showed it wasn't an improvement over the existing coins as currency, and we never came up with a decent name for it. We ended up deciding that it would be a barrier to understanding when reading the cards, and would likely be replaced with "money" when people played anyway (judging by our own experience with Power Grid and their Elektro currency).

So there was a very limited range of money names that were generic, widely understood, not specific to a particular value or scale, and could be made plural without sounding weird ("monies" is correct, but... odd). Plus in rule boxes, short is a bonus.

A coin was something that fit all those conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torsten Stelling
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
dasmurphy
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to money icon. Is it free to use?

Also you should have them named "Union" as kind of money Would be easy to understand and describe the Coins as "Unions Coins".

Cheers,
Torsten

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dunkle

Christiana
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. Logic wins the day once again and we have been able to enjoy a couple more plays of the game with no further definitional conflict.

Thanks, too, Joel, for the detail on the decision-making process. I always enjoy learning more about the design aspects and am always impressed by how much thought goes into every little thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.