3 Posts

A World at War» Forums » Rules

Subject: aborted and inverted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nikolaus homuth
Canada
flag msg tools
what is the mechanic for dealing with Inverted VS Aborted air units?

I am trying to work through the North Afrika Scenario and am getting hung up on this Uninversion mechanic.

We all know what 18.42 says.
So if i attack and have AAF abort, are they uninverted?

Step 12 says "Uninvert all air units, Air units which redeployed remain inverted" what units are these?

Step 5i(4) Uninvert attackers air units.what units are these?

Is there oil in the North Afrika Scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
In general, air units can only perform one activity per player turn. Once they have performed that activity, they are inverted.

During step 12, all of the moving players inverted air units get uninverted, other than those units that the moving player redeployed in step 9.

Step 5i allows the attacker to uninvert air units. These will usually be those that were redeployed the previous turn, or which were inverted during the turn that the other player just completed.

Example: Germany uses some air units in Spring 41. Some British air units are counteraired; others are used for defensive air support. In step 12 of the German Spring 41 turn, Germany gets to uninvert all of the air units that it used or built that turn, except for those it redeployed.

During step 5i of the British Spring 41 turn, Britain gets to uninvert all of the air units that were inverted during the German turn, as well as any air it redeployed in Winter 1940. In step 12 of the British turn, it will uninvert any air units that it inverted during the turn.

Aborting is different. It simply means that the air unit is turned back. For some missions, this means that the air unit simply returns to base and gets inverted, but in the case of air missions that can take more than one round (like counterair and attacks on ships), the air unit can return for the next air combat round.

When a counterair battle ends (because either the attacker or defender disengaged), all attacking air units are inverted (because their mission is over), while defending air units that aborted are also inverted. (In other words, if the attacker wants to completely neutralize the defender, he may need to fight multiple rounds, but if the defender wants to save his planes, he can simply disengage and pull back from the front).

North Africa doesn't use oil, because its Sequence of Play doesn't use Step 2, where oil counters are moved around. I think it's safe to say that both players have all the oil needed for the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaus homuth
Canada
flag msg tools
thanks for clearing that up for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.