Subject: NP Aedui Battle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete A
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why this is tripping me up but I can be a bit thick at times.

"Battle would force Loss on enemy Leader, Ally, Citadel, or Legion?"

In Sequani there are 7 Aedui warbands and both an Arverni Citadel and Ally with no warbands. The warbands would cause 3 losses but would only be half of that because of the Citadel leaving one loss to deal with. I think because of 8.4.1 regarding removing/targeting pieces that the Citadel would be the target and require a roll to see if lost. Since it requires a roll does that invalidate the above instruction because a loss is not guaranteed or is the fact that a loss possible enough for the Battle. Or do I make the roll and if not successful then the Battle is off but if the roll was successful then the Battle is chosen?
I'm sure this is really obvious but my brain is just stuck. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution to this is that "forcing a loss" does not necessarily mean "removes an enemy piece". You roll the die when you take the loss, and if the roll is successful then the loss is absorbed without any effect, but a loss still has been inflicted even if no piece is removed.
From the rules for Roman battle:
Quote:
While a Faction has at least one Legion, Citadel, Fort, or Leader in the Battle, and that piece is able per the bullets below to absorb a Loss, the Faction may roll a die instead of removing a piece. If the roll is a 1, 2, or 3 (only), the Faction must remove the Legion, Citadel, Fort, or Leader (Legion to Fallen, 1.4.1). If the roll is a 4, 5, or 6, the Loss is absorbed without removing any piece.

As such the Aedui will inflict one loss on an ally or citadel (defending factions choice) and will chose battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete A
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko. It seems so obvious now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That gave me pause too. Thanks for explaining that. The capitalization of "Loss" should have been my clue to look up the game definition of "Loss." GMT is very good about not capitalizing random Nouns in their Game Rules.

(Thirty-five years ago, I trained myself to ignore excess Capital Letters thanks to early Star Fleet Battles rules. I still need to untrain myself from that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
The solution to this is that "forcing a loss" does not necessarily mean "removes an enemy piece". You roll the die when you take the loss, and if the roll is successful then the loss is absorbed without any effect, but a loss still has been inflicted even if no piece is removed.
From the rules for Roman battle:
Quote:
While a Faction has at least one Legion, Citadel, Fort, or Leader in the Battle, and that piece is able per the bullets below to absorb a Loss, the Faction may roll a die instead of removing a piece. If the roll is a 1, 2, or 3 (only), the Faction must remove the Legion, Citadel, Fort, or Leader (Legion to Fallen, 1.4.1). If the roll is a 4, 5, or 6, the Loss is absorbed without removing any piece.

As such the Aedui will inflict one loss on an ally or citadel (defending factions choice) and will chose battle.

Oh wow, I've been playing the Gallic bots pretty wrongly. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
That gave me pause too. Thanks for explaining that. The capitalization of "Loss" should have been my clue to look up the game definition of "Loss." GMT is very good about not capitalizing random Nouns in their Game Rules.

(Thirty-five years ago, I trained myself to ignore excess Capital Letters thanks to early Star Fleet Battles rules. I still need to untrain myself from that.)
Yeah, GMT is pretty good at using key words in their rules consistently and subtly highlighting them via capitalization, one of the reason I really, really like their rule books.
Of course something like this shows that if you aren't looking for their specific definition of a key word and use a more general definition then things get hard to grok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Casey
msg tools
mbmbmb
You also seem to be indicating that the aedui would target the citadel over the ally. In battle commands, the defender chooses losses. So, an averni nonplayer should be choosing to take it's loss on the ally because the ordering is reversed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.