Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the half-naked female miniatures from BR, the Koi Clan has a very sober and beatiful style!

For this reason, I would feel very comfortable to play this game with my 2 daughters and it would be awesome to have a second female clan to choose from for our SO and kids!

Fingers crossed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wholeheartedly support this post. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Wang
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Procurer of rare and exclusive titles.
badge
I'm blue daba dee daba die daba deeeeeee daba die
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope for a half naked female clan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuzferatu wrote:
Compared to the half-naked female miniatures from BR, the Koi Clan has a very sober and beatiful style!

For this reason, I would feel very comfortable to play this game with my 2 daughters and it would be awesome to have a second female clan to choose from for our SO and kids!

Fingers crossed...

+1

It can't be so that there will be 7 male and 1 female clan?
I just read that Eric Lang himself was going to make efforts to make games more attrative for female players .. so fingers crossed indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers probably didn't intend it, but the Koi clan is kind of a pun. Koi is a carp, but it's also the kanji for "love" which fits the clan thematically.

However bonsai means potted plant but the same word also means "Buddhist priest's wife" with the kanji being "Brahmin" + "Wife." If I were designing the game I would've made the Bonsai clan female as well.

edit: Actually if I were designing the game I would've made half the molds female. The stretch goals are for alternate molds so it seems like a wasted opportunity IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dude Dudeston
msg tools
Nuzferatu wrote:

Fingers crossed...

I know their faces are covered, but I'm pretty sure two of the Lotus clan are females (the Daimyo, and one of the bushi).

Still another female clan would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah at least one of them is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thatd be great!

But then you have a whole 'nother set of people criticising the game racist and culturally inaccurate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharina Schrempf
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has magically creatures in it, so wouldn't a 2nd female clan so unbelievable?

And to anyone still calling it inaccurate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-bugeisha

It was uncommon and there weren't treated well, but female samurai existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Nuzferatu wrote:

Fingers crossed...

+1

It can't be so that there will be 7 male and 1 female clan?
I just read that Eric Lang himself was going to make efforts to make games more attrative for female players .. so fingers crossed indeed!

If i was trying to make a game more attractove female players, i would make more male half naked figurines, not more female
clothed ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:
This game has magically creatures in it, so wouldn't a 2nd female clan so unbelievable?

Yup. And There were eight female imperial reigns (six female emperors including two who reigned twice) in Japan's early history between 593 and 770, and two more in the early modern period (Edo period).

So the options of female warriors and Daimyo is far more realistic than Monsters and Gods I'd say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But then why would a clan have to be either male or female ? I think they did a pretty good job with the Lotus clan, mixing male and female units, and I'd like to see more of those.

But we don't really need more fully-female clans, not more than we need to see fully male clans... female daimyos, female shintos, female bushi, mixed here and there within the different clans, seems to be what makes the most sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Candacis wrote:

Pedantic note: anyone born into a samurai clan was a samurai, male or female. Bushi (warriors) were almost exclusively men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
But then why would a clan have to be either male or female ? I think they did a pretty good job with the Lotus clan, mixing male and female units, and I'd like to see more of those.

But we don't really need more fully-female clans, not more than we need to see fully male clans... female daimyos, female shintos, female bushi, mixed here and there within the different clans, seems to be what makes the most sense.

I'd agree with you if the majority of the clans weren't already exclusively male.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

Well, as we have 1 female, 4 male clans and one mixed 75% male, there's no other way to bring things back into balance, is there?
But at least a clan with a female Daimyo would already be a big step ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

Well, as we have 1 female, 4 male clans and one mixed 75% male, there's no other way to bring things back into balance, is there?
But at least a clan with a female Daimyo would already be a big step ..

I agree. The final mix doesn't have to be 50/50 but a predominantly female clan mirroring the mix of Lotus, i.e. mostly female and one of the sculpts being male, would go a long way towards showing CMON is actually trying to be inclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RavenMad
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking more closely at Adrian Smith's original art, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I reckon the Lotus clan is all female. That makes it 3(m) +2 (f) in the core box (assuming Turtle clan is male). Fox is male but I'm guessing there will be 2 more clans (probably as add-ons) so wouldn't be surprised if one of them is female. So, all told, I think we'll see 5 male + 3 female clans in the KS edition.

Agree that the alternate sculpts are a missed opportunity to have half & half gender split in each clan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Straddllw wrote:
I hope for a half naked female clan.

This.

I would pay extra for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian_vN wrote:
Looking more closely at Adrian Smith's original art, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I reckon the Lotus clan is all female. That makes it 3(m) +2 (f) in the core box (assuming Turtle clan is male). Fox is male but I'm guessing there will be 2 more clans (probably as add-ons) so wouldn't be surprised if one of them is female. So, all told, I think we'll see 5 male + 3 female clans in the KS edition.

Agree that the alternate sculpts are a missed opportunity to have half & half gender split in each clan...

Well here are the other two, it's possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:

If i was trying to make a game more attractove female players, i would make more male half naked figurines, not more female
clothed ones.

I don't think you have a firm grasp on the things that would potentially draw women to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it ironic to anyone else that the people arguing for more gender equity simply assume that any model without overly-emphasized cleavage must be male? Most of those Lotus look like women to me, and the Koi clan is entirely female. With 50% of the (currently) playable clans being female, why are there any complaints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Is it ironic to anyone else that the people arguing for more gender equity simply assume that any model without overly-emphasized cleavage must be male? Most of those Lotus look like women to me, and the Koi clan is entirely female. With 50% of the (currently) playable clans being female, why are there any complaints?

2 out of 5 is 40%, 2 out of 6 (once fox clan is fully unlocked) is 33% and both of those numbers are based on the honestly legitimate possibility that lotus are in disguise. The assumption that they are male is not based on cleavage but in my case based on the models. The model of the leader with the mustache looks much different in the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Avtomatik wrote:

clothed ones.

I don't think you have a firm grasp on the things that would potentially draw women to games.

Or what type of female. I know several that would dig the beefcake, but the pledge here seems to see for mostly wives and daughters and leaning towards representation and identification and not idealization or titillation. It is actually a very protective and manly way of seeing things, sometimes even condescending, although well intended.

To me, both ways are perfectly valid ways to build your audience, it is just going to be a different one.

In any case, you are right that a lot of women traditionally mirror themselves through other women, and are much more attracted to subjective traits in men.

I do know women that love the sexy or seductress archetype - and also the badass Sonja chainmail bikini, women that prefer a more realistic approach and women that could not care less if the mini is a fox or a scorpion (which is more in line with this kickstarter, since few minis are representative of their clan descriptions anyway).

One interesting point though is that, most young players like to play as the same sex they are, so more male clans make sense from a demographic point of view. The producer could ignore that and be more inclusive, but CMON does not seem the kind of company that will push those kind of boundaries.

Mixing sexes in the clans is the obvious compromise, but sometimes it pays off to pander to one specific crowd, as we could see in the KDM kickstarter.

I think the discussion is super valid, but what we cannot lose sight of that this is a niche product, and sometimes a niche product is what it is. There is no point in asking for equal representation of men and women in a Playboy magazine, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in any case, since the Fox clan is another male clan we will have to wait until next week.

Fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be more concerned about teaching my two daughters what mass suicide is instead. but that's just me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.