carlos rodriguez
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is the dragons?

The front cover of the game is wonderful, but where are the figures of dragons?

All the expansions of CATAN have been able to innovate in a mixture between mechanical games and components, but this expansion is poor, sad, and leaves me with a taste of poor quality, such as a filler of low budget.

SHAME FOR DEVIR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary: this is my favourite expansion. But maybe i had different expectations. I picked it up for around 8 euros as a scenario pack that came shrink wrapped without a box. A scenario pack is what it is. It's not really an expansion like the big box ones. The scenarios combine Seafarers and Cities and Knights in interesting ways. I'm liking these scenarios a lot, even though the changes are small in terms of components added and rules changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devir?

I think that Devir has not published this expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This started out as an expansion for fans, with a couple of extra hexes and other cardboard pieces. All in the tradition of Die Siedler von Catan: Das Buch zum Spielen, but unlike "Das Buch" fully compatible with Cities and Knights, even requiring that expansion or at least some ersatz material for a majority of its scenarios.

There is a reason why the dragons are cardboard pieces - in the mystic land scenario they come in different strengths, which aren't revealed unless you place a knight directly next to them.

The scenario pack has been around for quite a few years, the components wrapped in foil, available from the (German) Catanshop, with rules only as a pdf you had to print out for yourself. I have a copy each for the second German edition of Catan (the first one with plastic pieces) and the third edition (with hex fields by Michael Menzel, in a style similar to the current edition which has individualized hex fields). Several of the scenarios had been published even earlier in the Catan News with DIY parts you could photocopy or print out. The shrink-wrapped package was a vast improvement. Adding the box didn't improve anyting.

This year is the first time that the expansion has received a box amd printed rules, and with the unified appearance of the Catan games, it seems it has been made available internationally rather than just servicing the German market. The cardboard components have proven their playability over the years.

Plastic figures of dragons wouldn't help the playability of the mystic land scenario at all. (They wouldn't do anything at all for me, I'm a steadfast user of wooden game pieces even though I use the modern hexes.)

I have to admit that I wouldn't mind getting my hands on wooden figures for dragons (or numerous other cardboard extras published for Catan over the years), but not for the Mystic Land scenario. Alas, wooden pieces for this mini-expansion aren't planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
jorganos wrote:
Adding the box didn't improve anyting.
I agree, that I wouldn't need the box, as the components are meant to be stored in the Seafarers box, which is filled with plenty of air anyway. But I do envy the new edition for the nice new rule book, which is actually printed. Always considered it an odd decision to cut cost the previous edition by something as fundamental as printed rules. Will not purchase the new edition just to get them, but wish, they would offer them for a smaller postal and handling fee for owners of previous editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed the rules as an a3 booklet. It's not hard to do and it's almost as good as a professionally printed manual (if you make sure the staples are in the right place and you cut the booklet down to size).
I agree that it's odd, but i cant say it bothers me. I ended up doing the same for other stuff, like the document outlining how to combine scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
A3? I assume, you mean A5? A3 would be double the size of A4 and not fitting in the box. Which rules did you use for that? The old pdf, with the scenario maps in the old design or the most recent one, which also updates the layout to go with the design to other Catan rulebooks, but displays page 2&3, 4&5, 6&7, etc. on a single sheet? What settings do you need to alter to do so? Is this possible to do with any printer, you might have at home and Acrobat Reader, or would you need professional equipment and software to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
You print onto A3, so that if you fold the pages you get an A4 booklet, which you then cut down to size. I used the old PDF (the new one didn't exist yet). I used the printer at my university to do it. Message me if you want the print-ready PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. I think, under these circumstances I will take the new pdf to a copy shop and ask the people there for advice. Don't have any other access to a printer capable of doing A3 anyway, so why not going for the cohesive look of the new design? If they can't do anything with the new pdf, I might come back for your offer of a printer friendly version. And if the expense at the copy shop exceeds, what I'm willing to pay, I might either try to negotiate a new hard copy to be included to an order of the new Legends of the Pirates (a product, I'm not yet entirely sold on anyway, because it looks quite expensive for what it offers, unfortunately there are no rules online for that one), or just grumblingly boot my laptop to open the pdf, whenever setting up one of the scenarios, like I used to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.