Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have 5 army units inside the stronghold, can I use a card that lets me recruit an elite there? I know cards break most rules, but not sure abot this one

"Rage of the Dundelings" says "Recruit 2 Isengard regular units in a free region adjecent to North or south Dunland..." If Moira is captured by the FP, but there is no units there, can I recruit 2 in Moira?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msyterhe wrote:
If I have 5 army units inside the stronghold, can I use a card that lets me recruit an elite there? I know cards break most rules, but not sure abot this one

You could play the card to recruit an elite, but then you would immediately need to return a unit to the reinforcements. So, you can at least upgrade a regular to an elite.

msyterhe wrote:
"Rage of the Dundelings" says "Recruit 2 Isengard regular units in a free region adjecent to North or south Dunland..." If Moira is captured by the FP, but there is no units there, can I recruit 2 in Moira?

You can never recruit into a settlement controlled by the opposing player. But you could recruit next door and then walk in unopposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Subs
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with what Jim said, but just as a note there are situations where we can recruit in a settlement controlled by the opposing player by cards (not common, but this has been important in a number of games I've played). e.g. Say the Shadow has captured Minas Tirith, and the Free then besieges Minas Tirith. It is perfectly legal for the Free to play the Guards of the Citadel card in this situation to recruit an Elite + Leader into the Army besieging Minas Tirith even though the Shadow controls the Settlement. This applies to all of the Settlement specific Muster cards for both Free and Shadow.

This would also apply to Rage of the Dunlendings *if* the Free had captured Moria and a Free Army was inside and a Shadow Army had a besieging force on top of the Stronghold. i.e. in that case the region would be free for Shadow Army unit movement and so Rage of the Dunlendings could recruit the 2 Isengard regulars there, and swarm 4 more units from North/South Dunland directly onto the siege of Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
You can never recruit into a settlement controlled by the opposing player.

This isn't universally true. As Roy pointed out, there are exceptions. The key thing is to read the card carefully. In the case of "Rage of the Dunlendings", the recruitment is directed to be done "in a free region", so it can't be used in an enemy-controlled Settlement (unless it's a Stronghold and you're besieging it).

The exception that Roy mentioned is covered in the rules on page 27. Other than that, the only way you could recruit into an enemy-controlled Settlement would be if the Event card itself explicitly allowed you to, as that would break the normal rules. The only Event card that allows this is "Dead Men of Dunharrow".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.