Subject: A game for two that is fun whether you win or lose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a pirate is all well and good, but even pirates need to relax after a long day of pillage and plunder.

The situation: sometimes at the end of the day I just want to play a game with my husband that is relaxing but fulfilling- something that doesn't turn into a brain grind fest. I want a game where, whether we win or lose, we've had a lot of fun! So, something that is more about the journey than the goal.

A few more specifications:

gooNot overly competitive but also interactive (not necessarily a co-op, but those are ok too)
gooNot a long setup
gooAs much depth as such a game can have
gooTwo player, obviously- it doesn't necessarily need to be BEST with two, but it certainly needs to work with two

I want a game that reinvigorates you, as if you've just stepped out of a warm bath and let all the toil of the day wash away to face your evening with refreshed purpose! I want it to feel like I'm sipping a cup of warm tea on grandma's porch during a cool summer evening...I want...I want tranquility!

Is there such a game? Can you help me, friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The game that you're looking for is Pandemic: The Cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you have fun or not is entirely dependant on the person(s) involved, not the game thumbsup

I play games for the social interactions, if I win - rad! If I lose, I will have had fun laughing and joking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most fun I've ever had losing was playing Agents of SMERSH. It's a co-op storytelling spy game. The storytelling isn't the make-up-your-own type of story, but happens through choosing your response to random encounters. It's incredibly funny, and does have room for a bit of role-playing if desired. If you decide to try it, definitely find a copy with the optional encounter book -- much better than the limited cards. Setup isn't terribly fast, but it's also not too ridiculously long, and I've found that the game itself usually takes 2 hours or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and then, we held hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you're looking for is:
Morels

It's a head to head set collection game that actually feels like taking a walk in the woods collecting mushrooms and then cooking them up for dinner.

It's the game my wife and I pull out when we want a competitive but relaxing game that plays in about 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi, Asante, or a nice game of Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King! So relaxing

Goodluck finding that special game Pirate queenarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
That would be Tally Ho! for me. Very relaxing, and definitely fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey W

Bonney Lake
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy
Kingdom Builder
Raptor
Kingdomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary and it's ancestors
Lords of Waterdeep (total blowouts not-with-standing, which can happen, but aren't real common - more often than not it's a good game until the last turn and engaging for both players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb

The Hanging Gardens is perfect for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie Persson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your description made me think of Honshū!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very zen and relaxing - Haru Ichiban
Fun all around, and has that 'just one more' feeling - Trambahn
Dice rolling extravaganza! - Cosmic Cows is always a hoot to play. Qwixx would also fit in this category.

All except Qwixx are 2 player only and Qwixx is great with just 2. HTH

EDIT: I think I also spotted you around the PnP forums...so...Micropul is a 1 page fun little game that is easy enough to make and comes in a wide variety of designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This is just personal tastes and probably not up your alley at all, based on your criteria, but X-Wing is a game that I enjoy playing whether I win or not. It's a game my brother and I keep talking about for like an hour afterward, like "Dude I can't believe you missed that asteroid by like a millimeter!" and such things. We just always have fun playing it.

And although I haven't played it in years, sadly, Blood Bowl is also so exciting to me that I don't care whether I win or not.

For both of these games, what happens in-game is so exciting that the outcome never really mattered.

Anyway, hope you find the game you're looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Bailey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, and I am probably in the minority here, I enjoy 97-99% of the games that I play with my wife. Then again, also in the minority, I can enjoy almost any game I play. That includes Monopoly.

When you enjoy playing with the person(people), it doesn't matter whether you win or lose or what game it is, IMHO that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End.

Co-op game.
Set up is 10 minutes.
Losing brings you a lot of intel on the opponent. Winning is satisfying.
The game is fun even when you lose. You're setting up combos and taking decisions all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below
Even if you lose it's a lot of fun! Though the game itself isn't overly interactive as each person is building up their own village and besides grabbing the building/villager your opponent wants there isn't much you can do to directly hinder them.
Instead all the interaction comes from reading each other the story bits from the book of encounters - small choose your own adventure style story snippets that are read to you by the other player. Which turns the game into such a fun, relaxing experience for my partner and me. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:
The game you're looking for is:
Morels

It's a head to head set collection game that actually feels like taking a walk in the woods collecting mushrooms and then cooking them up for dinner.

It's the game my wife and I pull out when we want a competitive but relaxing game that plays in about 30 minutes.

I played this for the first time this week, didn't go down too well as we found the rules a little confusing, we needed to play the game to appreciate it. It also doesn't help playing a game about cooking delicious mushrooms while hungry, it turns out.

A quick setup 2 player game I'd go with is Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini
Kanagawa
Kodama: The Tree Spirits
Kingdomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CO-op is a good way to go if you wanna have fun win or lose.
+1 to Pandemic the cure, tho two player we normally add a shared third character

Karuba works well for me and my gf. can be a bit thinky but the small number of permutations makes it not to heavy in this regard. I always seem to win but my gf enjoys it all the same

Takenoko is another we like to play two-player, usually a bit more evenly matched as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is rather a bad question, it is not the fault of the game, but your approach, if you concentrate on the fun taking from playing the game this will be enough, I have never felt bad because of losing because I like playing games more than I like winning.

That said - trying any of the Oniverse games, all are coop, all are fast, and none are too taxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Goddard
England
Holmfirth
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido
Dale of Merchants
Cacao
Onitama
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thumbsup for Pandemic: The Cure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peegee13 wrote:

Tranquil? Really? I always find this an intense, brain burning exercise. I must be playing it wrong. I literally have a headache after every game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.