Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Has anyone compiled demographics on designers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Nalepa
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll preface this by saying:

1 I'm asking only if this thing exists. Discussions about whether it should are not germane.

2 I tried asking on a semi-related geeklist, but got no replies, so posting more widely.


Has anyone put together demographic statistics on designers from the Top 50 (or Top 100, or whatever)?

There are a lot of statements made about demographics like that when topics related to how women and minorities experience the hobby come up, but I've never seen a compilation of actual statistics.

I may have missed it, but a search just now didn't turn anything up. Anyone have any idea if something like that exists?

For example, there seems a general consensus that most designers are male and white. But I've not seen something that says 'x% of March 2017 Top 50 designers are male,' so I'm wondering if it exists.

(Again: whether it should is not something I'll debate. Just asking if it does.)

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nalepa
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming data on gamers more generally does not exist, and may be very difficult to gather, besides.

Conventions would be a place to start, but I didn't find any stats on the Origins or Gen Con pages beyond raw attendance with no demographic information. (Convention attendees are not the same as all gamers to be sure, but they're probably an ok proxy, and I'm not sure how one might measure "all gamers" anyhow.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Demographics" is a pretty broad term but for the purposes of what you're asking, I've never seen it but I have looked through 'top designer' lists over the years (good news, it has gotten more inclusive, especially if you add in family/children game designers). Having said that, it would be easy to get short bios on, say, Essen spiel winners over the past x # of years and go from there if anyone wanted to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nalepa
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
"Demographics" is a pretty broad term

That's intentional. Race and sex are obvious categories; not sure what others might be of interest to the community, but there are many which might. (Highest education level? College major group? Sexuality? Continent of origin?) So wanted to leave it a bit open on purpose.

sweetgotham wrote:
good news, it has gotten more inclusive

That would be good news. I'd be interested to see the trend laid out a bit more concretely than general impressions, though. (Not arguing with your impression; you seem to have been paying closer attention than I have to award winners.)

sweetgotham wrote:
it would be easy to get short bios on, say, Essen spiel winners over the past x # of years and go from there

That's a related question: what would the appropriate dataset be? Top ranks on BGG? Top sales numbers (which may not be available)? Award winners (Essen or other)?

Thanks for the thoughts!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nalepa
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
I maintain a list of [geeklist=212433][/geeklist], and they seem to be all male, 50% from ameritrash descent, 50% from euro descent.

That's a really interesting list! Thanks!

It's quite late for me (1 AM on the US East Coast), so I think I'll need to delve deeper once I've had some sleep, but that looks like a great list.

(I'm sure I'll find it personally useful outside this discussion, too!)
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer games

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/surprise-game-designers-not-so-...

Not a demographics, but you could compile one using it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Board_game_designers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Nalepa
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I believe this article is from 2005. The organization that conducted the survey (of its own developer members) has newer surveys (http://www.igda.org/?page=surveys) which have more updated info, though. The 2017 data is being collected right now, in fact (through March 27).

The 2016 report shows 81% white (or 75% white only, since you could check multiple boxes) and 72% male. Interestingly, 1.8% identified as transgender, whereas they reference a study that estimates 0.6% of the US population as a whole is transgender.

(It's not a direct comparison, since their membership is worldwide, of course. Only 46% of respondents work in the US.)

Regardless, thanks for the lead on the info!

slatersteven wrote:
Not a demographics, but you could compile one using it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Board_game_designers

An excellent idea as well. Hopefully their pages are detailed enough to be helpful.

Also makes me curious to compare that list to lists on BGG to see differences in who gets included, what makes someone notable enough to get onto Wikipedia, etc. Hmm.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Piotrpan wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I believe this article is from 2005. The organization that conducted the survey (of its own developer members) has newer surveys (http://www.igda.org/?page=surveys) which have more updated info, though. The 2017 data is being collected right now, in fact (through March 27).

The 2016 report shows 81% white (or 75% white only, since you could check multiple boxes) and 72% male. Interestingly, 1.8% identified as transgender, whereas they reference a study that estimates 0.6% of the US population as a whole is transgender.

(It's not a direct comparison, since their membership is worldwide, of course. Only 46% of respondents work in the US.)

Regardless, thanks for the lead on the info!

slatersteven wrote:
Not a demographics, but you could compile one using it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Board_game_designers

An excellent idea as well. Hopefully their pages are detailed enough to be helpful.

Also makes me curious to compare that list to lists on BGG to see differences in who gets included, what makes someone notable enough to get onto Wikipedia, etc. Hmm.

Thanks!
No probs, we are here to help each other.

To be notable on Wikipedia you have to have had multiple reliable sources talk about you in more then just a passing fashion. So a few one sentence "Bert Terrible is a game designer" notices would not hack it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.