Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mouse has some cards that say "You may switch the rows of any 2 cards at the same range", such as the "Claw, claw, bite" card. Can you use this card to switch a card with an empty space in the same row at the same range, or must you switch two cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the affect cannot be used to swap a card with a blank space in the other row. There must be another card at that range for the switch to occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's part of the restriction on the applicability of that card effect. "Any two" can't be reduced to "any one" because that would change the range positioning of cards further back in the "lopsided" row, which would be more powerful than intended for the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Daniel
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erichv wrote:
No, the affect cannot be used to swap a card with a blank space in the other row. There must be another card at that range for the switch to occur.

Oops, played this wrong the other day. I don't think it impacted the outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Formersd wrote:
erichv wrote:

Oops, played this wrong the other day. I don't think it impacted the outcome.

Play it again Sam, I mean Scott. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up to this question: If this card would eliminate a foe, when can the card switch occur? Before the hits are dealt, after the hits are dealt and the foe is removed, or player's choice? We had this come up on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
Follow up to this question: If this card would eliminate a foe, when can the card switch occur? Before the hits are dealt, after the hits are dealt and the foe is removed, or player's choice? We had this come up on Saturday.

I second this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:

In this case, I rule that it is the player's choice. However that is a one case ruling that applies just to this card, not a general principle that players should try to apply across the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
erichv wrote:
COMaestro wrote:

In this case, I rule that it is the player's choice. However that is a one case ruling that applies just to this card, not a general principle that players should try to apply across the game.

That's uncommonly kind of you, Eric.

I would've expected the answer to be more along the lines of "execute the card effects in order". Land the hits, swap the position, then remove the foe at the conclusion of the action (which would trigger any 'when defeated' text on the foe at that point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredhicks wrote:
erichv wrote:
COMaestro wrote:

I would've expected the answer to be more along the lines of "execute the card effects in order". Land the hits, swap the position, then remove the foe at the conclusion of the action (which would trigger any 'when defeated' text on the foe at that point).

It's interesting to see a discussion about what the rules are between the designer and publisher being transacted in a BGG forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
fredhicks wrote:

This is how we played it, and the reasoning I used. Of course, this is what we wanted to happen because I set up Harry to hit all the foes in one row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
It's interesting to see a discussion about what the rules are between the designer and publisher being transacted in a BGG forum.

That's just how I roll. (Or as Jeff Tidball said of me, I'm "pathologically transparent".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
fredhicks wrote:
erichv wrote:
COMaestro wrote:

Mouse is kind of a special case, because he was designed and tested while the Kickstarter was running. While I certainly playtested him quite a bit, but I couldn't playtest him within an inch of his life like I did all the other decks. So I will admit, that problem hadn't occurred to me until now. Mostly I tried to avoid creating powers that would raise this sort of timing issue. Probably the most consistent thing would be to say that you have to make the swap before the Foe is removed, but I don't think that Claw Claw Bite taking out a Foe is such a common occurrence that it makes a big deal to gameplay either way. I think the player preference ruling is more intuitive in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! I think we actually removed the defeated foe first and then did the swap in our game, though it would have been better for us to have swapped cards first. Good to have clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.