Hide
17 Posts

5-Minute Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Holy Hand Grenade can defeat the boss?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chan Yung
msg tools
It says in the rulebook that "The Holy Hand Grenade allows you to instantly overcome any card you may face, including Mini-Bosses, Events and Bosses. It is the only card in the game that can instantly defeat Bosses".
If we keep this card until the final Boss fight, isn't it too easy and simple???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both questions

Except that holding back the Holy Hand Grenade for the whole game really cramps your style when you only have three or four cards in your hand. With a three card hand it really cramps your style!

The rules that I have say:
Quote:
The Holy Hand Grenade allows you
to instantly overcome any card you
may face, including Mini-Bosses,
Events and Bosses. It is the only
card in the game that can instantly
defeat Bosses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chan Yung
msg tools
yes, not really possible to keep it for a long time.
But if you are lucky enough, drawing this card during the boss fight would become godlike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's also strangely unfulfilling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

/shrug

it's a five minute game, so there's nothing wrong with the occasional funny epic nuke victory, since you're just going to play again right after anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

/shrug

it's a five minute game, so there's nothing wrong with the occasional funny epic nuke victory, since you're just going to play again right after anyway
True, nevertheless, it doesn't change that slightly deflated feeling I get through such a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
rahdo wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

/shrug

True, nevertheless, it doesn't change that slightly deflated feeling I get through such a win.

well, a "full game" means you play through the campaign, and so an interim win against a "midlevel" boss really should engender that feeling i reckon. and if you're really concerned about it, simply remove it from the deck for the final chapter of the campaign, so you might get lucky and take out some of the early bosses with it, but it can't be there for the "true finale"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, I kind of like the insta-win. Maybe because the wife and I aren't great at the game (just beat lvl 3) but saving the card until the end and finally popping it felt great.

That said, I assume removing one card or proxying it with something else wouldn't shift the balance all that much. Or house rule it that it kills everything but the big bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chan Yung
msg tools
Gutrix wrote:
That said, I assume removing one card or proxying it with something else wouldn't shift the balance all that much. Or house rule it that it kills everything but the big bad.

yes, I think I would house rule it if I think it would be better after trying a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the HHG is too powerful as written, the simplest fix (IMO) is to treat it as a wild card against Bosses.

I just got my copy, so I can't form a worthwhile opinion until playing this game at least a few times, but my uninformed gut reaction is that this seems like a good house rule because otherwise the Paladin/Valkyrie becomes a "must include" party member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chan Yung
msg tools
We played this game last week with 5 players.
And the first 3 bosses were killed by this bomb.
The player was holding the card for quite a long time.
I think the more the players there are, the easier a player can hold this bomb for a long time.

BTW, we beat all the 7 bosses without losing a round! (We had almost lost to the 7th boss)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
yung904 wrote:
We played this game last week with 5 players.
And the first 3 bosses were killed by this bomb.
The player was holding the card for quite a long time.
I think the more the players there are, the easier a player can hold this bomb for a long time.

BTW, we beat all the 7 bosses without losing a round! (We had almost lost to the 7th boss)

With 5 players, you have a total 15 cards to play with so yes, holding onto the HHG seems easier than in a 3 player game when you only have 12 cards to play with. In a two player game, you only get 10 cards. That being said, in a small player count game, holding onto it all game should be a feat in and of itself. It's akin to trying to get the "Little Rocket Man" achievement in Half-Life 2.

Man, holding onto that little gnome all the way through the game was difficult but watching him take off in the rocket in the end was even more gratifying because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hang
msg tools
I've played this game about 20 times now and had a lot of fun each play. Also, my groups consist typically of 3 or 4 players. My main issue with the HHG is that sometimes it feels pretty anticlimactic when we reach the final boss and it just gets played.

To create more of a challenge, we usually choose not to play the yellow hero. But another alternative is to treat the HHG as either a wild, a magic bomb, or to count it as fulfilling all of one symbol.

It would have been interesting if they required a combination of 2 or 3 cards to create the same effect as HHG instead. And if the cards were played individually, it would have a single effect as well. High risk, high reward.

Still, I'm super happy with the game and will continue playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Druckenmiller
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Goalie Extraordinaire
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

I don't know, we beat boss #3 with 7 seconds to spare due to a timely HHG. I assumed it was lost when we flipped to the boss and saw the time. It was an epic feeling. Sure if there is still a minute to spare and you HHG the boss, that can feel a bit lame, but that's when you spice it up, and quote Monty Python while wasting clock time before eventually counting to 5 3 and playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interestingkiwi wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I don't know, we beat boss #3 with 7 seconds to spare due to a timely HHG. I assumed it was lost when we flipped to the boss and saw the time. It was an epic feeling. Sure if there is still a minute to spare and you HHG the boss, that can feel a bit lame, but that's when you spice it up, and quote Monty Python while wasting clock time before eventually counting to 5 3 and playing it.
I can see that it would be a "good" victory if you are playing cards to the Boss and it's getting tight for time when somebody draws the HHG and you squeak the win. I suspect that it's more likely that somebody holds onto the HHG for a significant part of the game and just nukes the boss when it turns up and that is anticlimactic and somewhat unfulfilling (messing around deliberately holding off playing it until the clock runs down is just silly IMO and adds zero tension). But each to their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burgos
Mexico
Mexico City
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rule
When playing this game with very casual gamers, we let this card to be as it is.

But when playing with hardcore players, it is a house rule to let it defeat everything except the final boss.

It is already too powerful to have the option of using it against every type of card, even events and mini-bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Hart
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Can anyone reference me a picture or link where this is said in the rules. I've seen where it says that it can beat a event cards. And from the text on card it says it can beat any CARD do a mini boss can be beat but the rules call the bosses BOSS MATS therefore not cards. Not against using it as a house rule but just would like to know if it is really in the rules that it can because I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.