Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The head of the Environmental Protection Agency program tasked with protecting minority and poor populations from pollution has resigned in protest over the Trump administration’s proposed budget cuts.

Mustafa Ali, a senior adviser and assistant associate administrator for environmental justice, had served more than two decades with the agency.

He helped found the environmental justice office, working to alleviate the impact of air, water and industrial pollution, in 1992, under President George H.W. Bush.

Ali told InsideClimate News, which first reported his resignation, that the Trump administration has shown no interest in helping vulnerable communities.

“My values and priorities seem to be different than our current leadership and because of that I feel that it’s best if I take my talents elsewhere,” he told the site.

Ali submitted a resignation letter Wednesday to new EPA administrator Scott Pruitt, imploring him to reconsider major cuts that could have adverse effects on poorer communities.

A proposal submitted by the Trump administration would slash the agency’s overall budget by 25%, according to reports.

The environmental justice program was among several that would lose nearly all of its funding.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/epa-official-resign...

So to recap now a program that helped minority and the poor deal with pollution is being eliminated. And in recent days we have had this announcement from the Justice Department

Quote:
Donald Trump's attorney general said Tuesday the Justice Department will limit its use of a tactic employed aggressively under President Obama — suing police departments for violating the civil rights of minorities.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ag-sessions-says-trump-a...

And as far as minority voting rights are considered

Quote:
The Department of Justice is reversing the federal government's position in an important voting rights case, involving a Texas voter ID law. The switch was not unexpected following the election of Donald Trump and confirmation of Jeff Sessions as Attorney General. Both Trump and Sessions claim voter fraud is a major problem and have backed voter ID laws.

In a motion filed Monday, DOJ asked a federal court to dismiss the department's earlier claim that the ID law was enacted with the intention of discriminating against minority voters. That claim was made by the Obama administration as part of a broader legal challenge to the law, which is among the strictest in the nation.

But the Trump administration notes that the Texas legislature is now considering changing the law to address concerns that it hurts minorities. DOJ says those efforts should be allowed to proceed.

Voting rights advocates, who worked with the Obama Justice Department for years on the court challenge, expressed outrage at the reversal.

In a written statement, Gerry Hebert of the Campaign Legal Center, which represents some of the plaintiffs, said, "I am appalled and disgusted that DOJ would abandon their claims, that they have advocated for the last six years, that TX's photo ID law was enacted with a racially discriminatory purpose."

He and others have argued that hundreds of thousands of legitimate voters in the state lack the required ID, such as a driver's license or gun permit, and that many of them would have a difficult time acquiring one. They also claim that the state legislature passed the law with the intention of discriminating against minority voters, primarily Hispanics, who are less likely to have the required ID.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/27/517558469/justice-department-r...

But the Attorney General sure is gung ho on voter id. Strangely enough, a tool that seems to disenfranchise a great deal of said minority voters, like in Texas and North Carolina.

Add in the fact that Trump has a supporter of the Alt Right/White Nationalists as his primary advisor, and it really does start to be a rather obvious motif. The sad part is seeing how rather easily the GOP is being taken in this direction, and how little a distance they had to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
He helped found the environmental justice office, working to alleviate the impact of air, water and industrial pollution, in 1992, under President George H.W. Bush.

That sounds almost unbelievable today.

What happened to the supposedly conservative Republican party the last 25 years that it's now no longer worth the effort to conserve the environment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KrazyIrish89 wrote:

That is one aspect (among a number of others) of the Republican party that I am deeply disappointed with over the last decade or two. I'm a "bigly" fan of nature so to see such stupid stuff like climate change denial and de-funding of conservation programs makes me shake my head cry

Particularly when paired with the relentless evangelism and name-checking of God. Earth is one of God's greatest creations, but apparently it's okay to treat it like a disposable napkin in the name of wealth and industry.

It's amazing how easily Christianity was conflated with so many contradictory ideals, in the name of identity politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think Teddy Roosevelt would be a Democrat if he were around today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:
Quote:

What happened to the supposedly conservative Republican party the last 25 years that it's now no longer worth the effort to conserve the environment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:
Quote:

In that song, Pink Floyd claimed that money is "..a gas". That explains why it seems to leak out of my bank account so easily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Republican party has never been GREAT about penalizing pollution at the cost to businesses, but they at least have supported SOME measures and regulations in the past.

The modern GOP is now blatantly giving the finger to the environment, and people keep voting for them in droves.

It's unconscionable. What the hell does that party offer anyone outside the 1% I'll never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

The Republican party has never been GREAT about penalizing pollution at the cost to businesses, but they at least have supported SOME measures and regulations in the past.

The modern GOP is now blatantly giving the finger to the environment, and people keep voting for them in droves.

It's unconscionable. What the hell does that party offer anyone outside the 1% I'll never know.

Right now that would be fear and hatred of those "others". Outside of that, not a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

In my experience, "it's abortion, stupid". Once one signs onto abortion being innocent-baby-murder, nothing else matters. Not one of the pro-lifers in my orbit have broken ranks since the 90s, no matter how they feel about any other issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Freedom from Government is the goal of Republicans (or at least the ideology of conservative Republicans. Trump's changed it a little).

EPA is supposed to maintain/enforce health standards for water and air pollution and stuff. Cool. We all want to know our basics for survival are safe. The problem is EPA helps legislate laws and has been constantly critiquing its standards.

1. Congress should be making laws, not EPA
2. It's difficult for businesses to forecast if every year they have to change their taxes/pollution caps to keep the EPA happy. The EPA's job is to maintain standards. Standards don't rile up industries every year. That's inefficient for our economy.
3. People keep blaming greedy corporations for destroying our world. Those greedy corporations made your living standards amazing. We can stop climate change by getting rid of them all, but then we'd be back in medieval times and that would be stupid.
4. And those greedy corporations will be the reason why we eventually switch to 100% clean energy and fix what's happening in the stratosphere (or whichever sphere it is) as they follow the market.

One of the biggest divides by right and left are reliance on government. Left thinks government will fix problems. Right thinks government will create problems. There's obv exceptions on both sides, especially with Trumpcare basically being Obamacare which states that government will fix your problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamigira wrote:
Freedom from Government is the goal of Republicans (or at least the ideology of conservative Republicans. Trump's changed it a little).

EPA is supposed to maintain/enforce health standards for water and air pollution and stuff. Cool. We all want to know our basics for survival are safe. The problem is EPA helps legislate laws and has been constantly critiquing its standards.

2. It's difficult for businesses to forecast if every year they have to change their taxes/pollution caps to keep the EPA happy. The EPA's job is to maintain standards. Standards don't rile up industries every year. That's inefficient for our economy.
3. People keep blaming greedy corporations for destroying our world. Those greedy corporations made your living standards amazing. We can stop climate change by getting rid of them all, but then we'd be back in medieval times and that would be stupid.
4. And those greedy corporations will be the reason why we eventually switch to 100% clean energy and fix what's happening in the stratosphere (or whichever sphere it is) as they follow the market.

One of the biggest divides by right and left are reliance on government. Left thinks government will fix problems. Right thinks government will create problems. There's obv exceptions on both sides, especially with Trumpcare basically being Obamacare which states that government will fix your problems.

I disagree with much of what you say (both implied facts and conclusions), but you have done an excellent job of summarizing a common Republican viewpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zedsdead wrote:

In my experience, "it's abortion, stupid". Once one signs onto abortion being innocent-baby-murder, nothing else matters. Not one of the pro-lifers in my orbit have broken ranks since the 90s, no matter how they feel about any other issue.

That is a significant share of voters, but only gets you ~20% of voters nationally, or about 40% of what is needed to win a Presidential election.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170249/split-abortion-pro-choice-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
kamigira wrote:

I disagree with much of what you say (both implied facts and conclusions), but you have done an excellent job of summarizing a common Republican viewpoint.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
Zedsdead wrote:

That is a significant share of voters, but only gets you ~20% of voters nationally, or about 40% of what is needed to win a Presidential election.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170249/split-abortion-pro-choice-...

Thanks for the link.

FWIW I suspect that the number of pro-lifers who SAY they'll exclusively vote pro-life is lower than the number of pro-lifers who WILL exclusively vote pro-life. I'm just basing this on a couple decades of personal experience, so could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.