Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc.... it says

"During Phase 2, "Police Hunting the monster." the Head of Investigation can choose a detective. That detective moves his miniature exactly one crossing, then chooses a patrolling constable miniature (Green, brown or red) and moves it one crossing, even if that miniature has already moved during this phase. If the patrolling constable miniature has not yet moved, he does not move again during this phase.

is this saying... I get to move ONLY once space this turn because I am the head investigator and I have the cry havoc ability.. and I may choose another player(who is red green or brown) he gets to move one space and he does not get to move his normal two spaces this turn... if he has not went yet....? that's the way I read it... or I can let someone who has already moved twice move one extra space. (Which is when I would assume this would be more useful ??????

My biggest question is Ernest Thompsons Police Card... it says he can give Brown, Red or Green (Himself...) the Cry Havoc ability... the HoI goes first.... which means.. if he gave it to himself... he would move only one space... to move someone (who hasn't went yet because he goes first because he is the HoI) one space... and they dont' get to move during phase 2.... so his Card basically lets him give RED and BROWN Cry havoc.... which if the turn order happened to be Green Red and then Brown... its VERY limited as to the usefulness of his ability. HELP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
BBBD77 wrote:
Cry Havoc.... it says

"During Phase 2, "Police Hunting the monster." the Head of Investigation can choose a detective. That detective moves his miniature exactly one crossing, then chooses a patrolling constable miniature (Green, brown or red) and moves it one crossing, even if that miniature has already moved during this phase. If the patrolling constable miniature has not yet moved, he does not move again during this phase.

is this saying... I get to move ONLY once space this turn because I am the head investigator and I have the cry havoc ability.. and I may choose another player(who is red green or brown) he gets to move one space and he does not get to move his normal two spaces this turn... if he has not went yet....? that's the way I read it... or I can let someone who has already moved twice move one extra space. (Which is when I would assume this would be more useful ??????

My biggest question is Ernest Thompsons Police Card... it says he can give Brown, Red or Green (Himself...) the Cry Havoc ability... the HoI goes first.... which means.. if he gave it to himself... he would move only one space... to move someone (who hasn't went yet because he goes first because he is the HoI) one space... and they dont' get to move during phase 2.... so his Card basically lets him give RED and BROWN Cry havoc.... which if the turn order happened to be Green Red and then Brown... its VERY limited as to the usefulness of his ability. HELP

If you move one space, you can use your other movement point to move another detective.

If they have already moved it's O.K. If they haven't yet moved their movement is skipped, as they only move one space due to the the nature of Cry Havoc.

Giving other players Cry Havoc is useful for getting Ernest Thompson an extra movement by each other player who uses Cry Havoc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dorton
United States
Norton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is.. being limited to Green Red and Brown... lets say we are playing with the Police Cards.. that means only Green has the Cry Havoc Ability (to give to someone) So He can give... someone else the ability to only move once.... and... then they in return can give ONLY red green or brown one extra movement...That is terrible. Its the most limited use of any of the head of investigation abilities. The Timing and chances of this being useful in a game with an experience Jack Player.. is VERY limited... where as using ally ways is always useful. one extra movement for someone who HAS to be Green Red or Brown.. makes this ability far too limited... what if (and I don' have the box in front me but the ability specifically says only 3 colors can benefit from it) but what if the guy that's best in position to catch jack is one of the other 2 colors? Tough? Which again is why this is easily the weakest of the detective abilities.

When would this ability ever be useful to allow a color to move once... and then if they haven't went yet... they don't get their normal 2 spaces of movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the text on the Ernest Thompson card, and the text in the new Dear Boss rules that describe the Cry Havoc optional rule which is referenced on the Ernest Thompson card. VERY CONFUSING AND INCONSISTENT WORDING.

The Cry Havoc rule says the player who is the Head of the Investigation can choose a Detective who can then move his miniature (patrolling constable I assume) exactly one Crossing and then also choose a Patrolling Constable miniature (green, brown or red) and move it one Crossing too, even if that second Patrolling Constable has already moved during that Phase.

The Ernest Thompson card says that if you are the Head of the Investigation during Phase 2, you can choose one other Patrolling Constable (green, brown or red) who gains the Cry Havoc ability.

The author of the game should provide clarification because the text is confusing and inconsistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the theme supposed to be for this new rule?

I totally get the 'rushing in' theme but the title/ wording on 'Cry Havoc' doesn't seem to jibe with anything victorian or police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.