Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Johansson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!
I'm designing a card driven game. Each turn, 2 cards are played determining:
# what 3 actions that will be taken as indicated by the colored circles that LINE UP in a row(one from the bottom card and 2 from the top card, in this case Green, Yellow, Red).
# what special effect that is triggered (only the top card).

The current layout works, but does it look ok? Is it confusing that the top cards upper left icon is not triggered?

Any suggestions for an alternative layout that does the same (i.e. triggering the first icon on the bottom card and the last two icons on the top card)?

...of course the icons will not be colored circles but rather distinct symbols.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks and have a great Friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Upon first glance, I didn't get what was going on. On reading the quick stuff you wrote about it above the picture, it made perfect sense.

Have you thought about separating the top row and second row, without having the arrow there? Or maybe adding the arrow to the top icon? I think keeping the icons/circles closer and tighter might help. Here's an example of what I mean:

EDIT: Or maybe like this, physically separating the top and bottom so the vertical row is more cohesive and easier to quickly "spot".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not entirely I'm picturing the action quite right but I do support the suggestion of adding more physical space, I know your art is preliminary but its still worth making sure that space comes across.

so why do you play two cards vs one? Is the intent to add one extra action(bottom card's top circle) and bury its special action?

perhaps its worth your time to take a look at these games as relatable examples?
oddball Äeronauts
Innovation
oddball I think is closer to your idea but doesn't have physical alignment, innovation has physical alignment but less to do with actions your trying to design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Monts

Louisiana
msg tools
Have you thought about having the single circle at the top left, and the dual circles at the bottom right of the card?

you can then play the bottom card upside down to give you your 3 circles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.