Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: What makes Batman, Batman? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the announcement of a new Batman game, I was wondering, what would make this one stand out from the crowd of other Batman games...

My first thought is that it needs to feel like Batman.
1)There needs to be stealth. This gives way to great strategy, picking off the weak enemy's and busting into a room, taking out a group.
2)There needs to gadgets. Explosives. Drones. Tripwires.
3) Inner monologues. Nothing beats the sound of a gravelly voice, explaining why you do, what you do, before you do it.

What are your thoughts?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big aspect is characters outwitting each other by relying on the essential nature of thier opponent.

The most iconic batman villians work by being able to predict how Batman will put himself at risk, or by setting up an impossible choice. Similarly Batman needs to be able to succeed by predicting how villians will overreach and being ready to punish them.

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Gazis
Greece
Athens
Piraeus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Batmobile ninja
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgerthebrave wrote:

1)There needs to be stealth. This gives way to great strategy, picking off the weak enemy's and busting into a room, taking out a group.


I really really agree with this. I didn't think about a stealth element at first but it makes absolute sense. Stealth is a major part of the Arkham-verse games, Bats get murdered if he tries to punch dudes with guns.

I know almost nothing about the Conan game but I do know that Conan was more of a charge in loud and proud, comic character. A big contrast to Batman's stealthier, from the shadows, approach so I certainly hope they add the stealth or maybe a hidden movement aspect to distinguish Conan from Batman.

Later on, maybe they could reskin Conan exactly for a Superman game whistle
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turtleman951 wrote:
badgerthebrave wrote:

1)There needs to be stealth. This gives way to great strategy, picking off the weak enemy's and busting into a room, taking out a group.


I really really agree with this. I didn't think about a stealth element at first but it makes absolute sense. Stealth is a major part of the Arkham-verse games, Bats get murdered if he tries to punch dudes with guns.

I know almost nothing about the Conan game but I do know that Conan was more of a charge in loud and proud, comic character. A big contrast to Batman's stealthier, from the shadows, approach so I certainly hope they add the stealth or maybe a hidden movement aspect to distinguish Conan from Batman.

Later on, maybe they could reskin Conan exactly for a Superman game whistle


As much as i agree, i don't think there'll be a stealth element to the game. In the video, the only new "element" to the game is the inteligence, to disarm bombs and etc. There's still time to add more things, but i doubt it...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zsolt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
However there are scenarios (both official and fan-made) in Conan where stealth is a component so I think it would be restively easy to incorporate this formally into Batman.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan is mainly a fighting game. If the same system is used, there will be a fair amount of fighting again. But just having some stealth tech or a grapple to avoid damage as well as to hide your movement, would be cool...We shall see
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope stealth will be an important aspect to the game. If it's just a dungeon romp with Batman figures, it won't feel like Batman.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavien Loisier
United Kingdom
Heckmondwike
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The movements are key as well: jump from buildings, hide on a ceiling ...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
barbi wrote:
The movements are key as well: jump from buildings, hide on a ceiling ...

Oh yeah. Grapple gun everywhere ninja
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A "simple" way to introduce a bit of stealth would be to have batman(for instance)-decoy-tokens. When in (close) LoS of an enemy, or after a check-test (intelligence?), token is revealed and everyone knows if this one was the true batman or nothing. Meanwhile, batman player get to move all his tokens for one movement-action cost.
?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XofMdS wrote:
A "simple" way to introduce a bit of stealth would be to have batman(for instance)-decoy-tokens. When in (close) LoS of an enemy, or after a check-test (intelligence?), token is revealed and everyone knows if this one was the true batman or nothing. Meanwhile, batman player get to move all his tokens for one movement-action cost.
?


Psycho Raiders does something like that to great success IMO. It's a good idea!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He's batman. *mic drop*
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.