Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Map thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the maps that come with the kings&core game are great looking maps!.but because they are one place.they are rigid.and as good as they are I think this is the "weak" point in the game for me.pity it wasn't either a tile system..like Zombicide etc..or a basic D&D type.like Descent etc.
which ive started using and adds so much to little self-made scenarios from reading the books.
whats everyones thoughts on this?...im not knocking the tiles they look great and that's what the game was built on.but it restricts it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think using a modular tileset for Conan wouldn't be a very good idea. Modular tilesets usually have things like "generic castle layout" and "random forest path", it usually doesn't breathe that much atmosphere. And since the Conan lore is so detailed, it makes sense to recreate locations from the books.

Modular tiles usually work better with games that aren't based on a well-known IP. I find the system to be a lot more restrictive in Imperial Assault then it is in Descent, for example. Some maps in that game genuinely feel nothing like Star Wars, apart from the fact that there's Stormtroopers on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you wish to use your modular tiles from other games such as Descent or D&D boardgames, it's easy enough. Just house-rule that every 4 squares (or 6, or 8...) counts as "1 area" for Conan movement rules.

Or, house-rule Conan to move in squares or hexes. It can be done. Maybe you'll double his allotted movement points (4 instead of 2, and every added gem counts as 2 additional spaces, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide:Black Plague tiles work quite well as is, even if the 3*3 tiles, flat structure doesn't lend itself to very creative layouts.

Grid-based maps can work quite well with a few adjustments :
- For a given model, all adjacent models and items count as "in the same area" for all purposes (attacking, hindering, opening chests, picking up items...).
- A single movement point/gem allows moving two squares, once you've paid the hindering cost for the starting square.
- Area effects target a square and all adjacent squares.

Line of sight needs to be clarified beforehand, center to center or corner to corner, depending on your favorite system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prefere the boards myself. pain in the but sometimes in having to sort through tiles to make a game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a very large number of GameMastery flip-mats that would make excellent Hyborian Age landscapes. Just go to Amazon and enter "GameMastery flip mat" and be astounded! These have a square grid, so having a formalized set of grid-based game rules for Conan would open up all these cool maps for scenarios. This idea wants development, playtesting, and documenting - then free distribution to the world!

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes I agree!! ive got quite a lot of the flip mats and tile sets...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Modiphius Conan RPG has 4 sets of crossover tiles that are supposed to be modeler

You can purchase them in physical boards or PDF.

http://www.modiphius.com/conan.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatach wrote:
The Modiphius Conan RPG has 4 sets of crossover tiles that are supposed to be modeler

Note that those haven't been released yet, so it's a pre-order. i was a KS backer of that project (solely for the new boards!). They only recently starting releasing their PDF books, and haven't shipped any physical copies yet. They haven't released any of the boardgame crossover bits yet, neither PDF nor physical copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
thatach wrote:

Note that those haven't been released yet, so it's a pre-order. i was a KS backer of that project (solely for the new boards!). They only recently starting releasing their PDF books, and haven't shipped any physical copies yet. They haven't released any of the boardgame crossover bits yet, neither PDF nor physical copies.

They're also, IMO, incredibly expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
I wish there was a happy medium between single board and full modular. One thing I do like about the Conan maps is that setup is a breeze. I like Imperial Assault but sometimes the amount of effort required to build the board is a little too tedious.

I could see expansions that offer overlay boards. Instead of replacing the entire game board, they cover a corner here or there, which break up the areas in unique ways and can change the appearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.