Hide
8 Posts

Dragoon» Forums » General

Subject: Plastic or metal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kai Do
msg tools
Dragoon the game is on KS again, now with an expansion, and I'm interested.

I initially wanted to go with the plastic tokens, as it is much cheaper but now I find myself drawn to the gold editions where all the tokens are made of metal, mainly because the board appears to be rolled up cloth so I'm worried the plastic tokens won't be solid or have enough weight to stay in place if the cloth is too thick or folded in places.

If the game is indeed just as functional with plastic pieces, I will probably shoot for the plastic version.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to decide based on gameplay first. I'm a bit worried about the take that aspect.
But if I decide to back it, I'll go for the gold, cause it's very beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that the game is good, not great. I don't think I'd buy it in plastic, or even be interested in the game at all if it didin't wow me with metal bits.

I'm a sucker for heavy metal bits! I'll probably buy it as a collector as it's simply gorgeous and might play it a handful of times, but it would look great set up.

Go for the Gold!

I may back the Gold expansion and buy the Gold base at Gencon after I play it. If I end up hating it, I'll just sell the gold expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a review that noted the "take that" element is quite strong and to know that before purchasing.

That said, a "take that" game of 90 vs 30 minutes is something altogether different.

30 minutes of "take that" can be quite fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about the heavy luck factor. Heavy luck + strong take that is a no no for me.

It's beautiful, but I'm out.

Desferous wrote:
I was watching a review that noted the "take that" element is quite strong and to know that before purchasing.

That said, a "take that" game of 90 vs 30 minutes is something altogether different.

30 minutes of "take that" can be quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedFinch wrote:
mainly because the board appears to be rolled up cloth so I'm worried the plastic tokens won't be solid or have enough weight to stay in place if the cloth is too thick or folded in places.

I wouldn't worry about that. The cloth board stays pretty flat. I have the metal version, but I'd have no concerns about using plastic pieces.

That being said, the metal version looks and feels fantastic. I'd totally go for the upgrade if you think you'd like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Nazzaro
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
publisher
The take that elements are strong, but not constant. You can really prevent someone from winning, but that will not be happening every turn.

There are plenty of dice rolls to determine, but mostly after decisions you've made. You make your own luck and this largely allows newcomers to be able to play with veterans. No blowout wins.

Metal is way, way, way, cooler if you can afford it. Find us at SXSW and we can show you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am debating between plastic and metal as well. I currently pledged for the combo GE.

The metallic version of the game is pretty expensive compared to other kickstarter projects right now, especially when there aren't many stretch goals. Yes, the metal bits seem very pretty, but they won't do anything if the game sits in its box and not get played. According to the reviews here on bgg, not everyone finds the game great, so there's a risk that I might not love the game as well when I buy it.

There are also Rising Sun ($100) and Gloomhaven (probably ~$100) kickstarter projects happening, and since I don't have infinite amount of money, I am thinking about lowering my pledge from gold edition to maybe combo edition or just regular plastic version of the core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.