Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
101 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: So is it the hype that brought this game to such a high rank already, or is it really this good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has been out, what, only a month? And it's already rank #37 of the best board games of all time? I'm not a huge frequenter of this site so I'm wondering if this is just hype with people ranking it on a whim, or if it's really that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, there must be the hype effect, and people rating it high in order to sell their copy a fair amount of dollars probably, but to me, this game is really that good.

This is the second game to deserve a 10 for me, after Earth Reborn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berg
Germany
BaWü
flag msg tools
富士山
badge
Take a closer look
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of people playing it for dozens of hours over the last few weeks and rating it as one of the best games ever is pretty staggering. Time will show how this holds up, but I'm pretty optimistic. Gloomhaven probably isn't for everyone, but if you like the kind of game it offers, it's likely that you will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Cseke
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just really that good.
I've never spent so much time, in so few days with a boardgame, and I'm still far from becoming bored with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
my local gaming group don't want to stop playing it it is that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It always depends on what kind of player you are and most people who have a copy right now where probably on the lookout for a game like gloomhaven.

So for those people (at least for me) Gloomhaven is one if not the best board game they/I have ever played. My grouped played about 30 hours over the last two weekends and it is just amazing. For me this is the game dethroning Mage Knight, which was my #1 for four years in a row.

So no, in my opinion the current ratings are not a reflection of hype rather than real enjoyment of the game. When the reprint will become available in a few months and a wider field of players gets their hands on the game ratings will probably even out a bit, though.

All I can say at this point is that I absolutely love the game.

Edit: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the people rating it probably haven't played through even half of the game, which normally would be required to form an opinion and give a truthful rating for a legacy game.
However, the immense scope, the brilliance of the design, and the amount of value found in the box (especially for kickstarter prices) start becoming apparent once you open the box and go through the components and rulebook, and solidify after a few plays. So I believe there's much more than hype to the current rating & rank of the game. Pretty much the same reasons applied to Kingdom Death's high ratings, although KDM hit its ceiling much sooner due to how much more niche the target audience was for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is that good. Best boardgame I've ever owned. Can't play it enough. Hits all the right buttons. A++
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answers is, that the game really is that good. I was somewhat sceptical, but after playing it, I am sold. If you like strategic and tactical dungeon-crawling, there is nothing comparable in scope or quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just a great game, and one of my few 10s.

My group hasn't even thought about playing anything else since it arrived. I'm 16 plays in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Magni
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
For me it's the game of my dreams, it has all i was looking for as a Dungeon crawler, i played it around 8 times so far with a total of 7 different persons, they all liked it a lot and don't want to play anything but this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is just pure awesome. I love the production, the rules and the setting.

My GF really dislikes Dungeon Crawlers of all sorts, but the mechanics and the storytelling of Gloomhaven make her want to play more and more of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just looking through the 600 or so comments on the game there is no doubt that a lot of people think this is a terrific game. There's also some good criticism that shows the game isn't for everyone.

I suspect the BGG ranking algorithm doesn't adequately account for the rapid growth in the hobby and has a bit of a bias toward newer games as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Everyone just wants to keep playing in my group, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We spent 12 hours playing this the other weekend and I find myself looking at other games now wishing they used similar system to Gloomhaven. It's a great combat system and I can see the campaign/story side of things is going to get quite meaty and interesting. Time will tell but its looking really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there is some "greatest ever buy my copy" BS going on, but if you read the comments, reviews, sessions reports, and even rules questions you will see a repeated trend of people playing the game A LOT and people playing the game with their game groups or their friends or their significant others, or their older kids. Its hitting a sweet spot for multiple types of gamers that only a very special game can.

Count plays (or play time if most of us bothered to log it) and you will see the owners are all really, really enamored with it. Like the #1 game, Pandemic Legacy, it uses a continuing narrative to pull you into playing more and more, but with so many new games being released every month campaign/legacy games are a needed 'gimmick' to keep a game on the table. But its also not just a gimmick...

I'm only 15 plays in, 11 of the 95+ 112+ scenarios, but I'm perfectly willing to say that this game's writing is LIGHT YEARS in quality beyond Pandemic Legacy, Mansions of Madness, Imperial Assault, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, and any other game I can think of. And while the pure storybook feel of Mice & Mystics was nostalgic, I've never had the impetus to keep playing because the rules were so horrible and the gameplay kind of bland. But maybe one day.

Am I trying to validate my purchase? Maybe. But I have plenty of games I've purchased that I haven't gushed this way about, maybe my "validation" adds a point or even two to a score, turning a 5 into a 7 and a 7 into a 9. I've been playing modern board games since the 90s, Catan got my first 10 rating when I joined BGG and Gloomhaven got my second 10 now, almost two decades after I first played Catan.

Is an unfair amount of these plays because the game plays just as well with 2 as it does with 4 so its getting played more? Possibly, but having a game scales so well from 2-4 is a feat in itself. Obviousy, since its a co-op you can solo it too, and its branching storylines and persistent world means that you can even cycle larger game groups through it, even if single plays only support up to 4 at a time.

It takes all the lessons of 20 years of modern gaming and combines them in a way that there is something for all types of gamers. Yes, I'm speaking as one of the converted but this is one game where I'd be more concerned that the bad reviews are coming from attention-seekers or super niche gamers than the good reviews are coming from shills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is almost perfect if you like dungeon delving with a little luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Moekel
msg tools
Jepp, that good!

My one and only hobby currently.

Sure it has some issues (set-up time, lots of tokens to track, no app-support), but those are things that can be improved over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Brookins
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my 4+ years of rating games on this site, Gloomhaven is the first game I've ever rated a 10. And there was no hesitation. This is the best game I've ever played. (And this is coming from a non-owner.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolino Paperino
Switzerland
Banco
flag msg tools
mb
I confirm the game is that good, and I was not a backer. This is the dungeon crawler I was looking for since years. I'm a huge, huge fan of Mage Knight which is (was) my favourite board game. I think Gloomhaven is even better. The gameplay is fenomenal, it's brilliant and smooth. The game is hard, but I never finished a game mentally exausted. The balance between challenge and fun is perfect for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is the first game I gave a 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a ton of hype for it now, and for good reason as it's just THAT good. This is the only game I've ranked a 10 and can't get enough of it. I even ferry the game back and forth between my house and group meetings one city over so I have a co-op campaign, and solo campaign going right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
The last time I saw this much gushing for a game it was kingdom death monster, I own neither but I'll probably pick up both to see what all the oozing is about on both sides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It IS really that good, IF you already like games like this. Best game I ever owned/played, hands down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own it and play in a regular campaign group. It's good. It's not that good. It's an impressive project with a lot of original and fantastic mechanical ideas. It is a whole rpg world in a box. But it's also just a dungeon crawl where every game is mostly the same stuff (go here, kill stuff, rinse and repeat). Mechanically it's less interesting than Mage Knight. I think it should be in the top 100. I don't think it should be in the top 10. But the rankings on this site aren't a strict average and so they get tugged along by hotness and hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.