Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » General

Subject: April O' Neil Card size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up my April O'neil ally pack today from my FLGS. Sure was surprised when I got home and found out the cards are larger than the rest of the cards in the core set. So now April won't be sleeved like everything else and it's a little bit annoying.

Why are the cards different!?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
Picked up my April O'neil ally pack today from my FLGS. Sure was surprised when I got home and found out the cards are larger than the rest of the cards in the core set. So now April won't be sleeved like everything else and it's a little bit annoying.

Why are the cards different!?


IDW.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris
Netherlands
Haarlem
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the card scale consistent with the mini scale? shake
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Roberts
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
I found the same problem. I have sleeved everything, so I just took an x-acto knife a trimmed the cards to be a similar size to everything else. Once sleeved there is no noticeable difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ASHERLAR
msg tools
mb
And what about the sculpt size? Is April still one head taller than she should be...?surprise
I'm afraid they misunderstood our complaints and oversized the cards instead of downsizing the figure

Edit: after seeing an unboxing at youtube, despite not clearly comparised, this new april model remains the same size...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard from IDW about the card size error. Seems like to them it doesn't break the game so it's a non-issue. Unfortunately this is going to drive me bonkers and since IDW won't help, I won't be supporting them in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
I heard from IDW about the card size error. Seems like to them it doesn't break the game so it's a non-issue. Unfortunately this is going to drive me bonkers and since IDW won't help, I won't be supporting them in the future.

Seems a number of things us hobbyists dislike are non-issues for IDW.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
QC in general seems to be an issue. Very, very disappointing. If all their future releases have scaling, quality and size issues then it will be difficult to continue to support them. If they don't care about the product, then why should anyone else?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst part is they are a size that no sleeve exist for them and i'm not willing to cut the cards down to size to get them to fit. I shouldn't need to fix a problem that IDW created in the first place.

Kevin W. I hope you have some pull to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and forgot to pick April up. I haven't played it yet, but is the card size issue only related to card sleeves or do the cards also get shuffled in with other decks?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I just got the game and forgot to pick April up. I haven't played it yet, but is the card size issue only related to card sleeves or do the cards also get shuffled in with other decks?

The deck is completely independent from other cards. In fact, you don't even shuffle them. You just look through them and pick out the ones you want to use during the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
The size difference could be an issue when they add more villain based items to the game. They will add cards which you shuffle into the cards from the base set, so for the hero packs it doesn't matter, but with the villain stuff it will definitely matter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Delthos wrote:
The size difference could be an issue when they add more villain based items to the game. They will add cards which you shuffle into the cards from the base set, so for the hero packs it doesn't matter, but with the villain stuff it will definitely matter.

There's no reason to assume, at this point, that this will be an ongoing problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With IDW I wouldn't assume they will fix the problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
dekedagger wrote:
With IDW I wouldn't assume they will fix the problem.

The problem only exists with one set of cards. It isn't even an issue with the same set of Kickstarter cards. No reason to assume, at this point, that it will become a game-breaking issue in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased it earlier today. I haven't compared them to the core box but I don't intend to sleeve at the moment anyway. If I do in future (because my kids start getting their grubby hands on it!) then I'll just trim the card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
Delthos wrote:
The size difference could be an issue when they add more villain based items to the game. They will add cards which you shuffle into the cards from the base set, so for the hero packs it doesn't matter, but with the villain stuff it will definitely matter.

There's no reason to assume, at this point, that this will be an ongoing problem.


The fact that they also didn't fix the scale issues with the retail version of April miniature is very good reason to assume that they won't fix the card size issue either. They definitely knew of the issue as there were too many complaints about the scale issues and they clearly chosen not to do anything about it. Mind you, I only said it could be an issue, not that it will be any issue.

We'll see if the Casey retail expansion also has the same problems as this April one. If it does have the same problem I would say it is highly likely any other expansions will also have problems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Delthos wrote:
The fact that they also didn't fix the scale issues with the retail version of April miniature is very good reason to assume that they won't fix the card size issue either.

Not necessarily. For one thing, the miniature scaling issue is merely aesthetic. Second, we don't know when those miniatures were manufactured. Third, some have even argued that the scale is correct.

On the other hand, everyone agrees that oversized villain cards would be an issue of playability.

Quote:
We'll see if the Casey retail expansion also has the same problems as this April one. If it does have the same problem I would say it is highly likely any other expansions will also have problems.


Again, not necessarily. We do not know if the cards for Casey and Splinter have already been printed, but there's no reason to believe City Fall has. Plus, I believe IDW has said they are not concerned about the sizes of these cards because they do not affect gameplay, but, again, everyone agrees that villain cards would.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
You're right, we don't know when the miniature molds were actually cut and produced. Assuming that both April's were produced at the same time and Casey and Splinter were also so can't be changed, they said nothing as to that case. Instead of saying "Sorry we produced the Kickstarter April and Retail April at the same time and we can't fix it at this point as it would be too expensive. However we will make sure to keep scale consistent in the future." they've not said anything at all.

It doesn't matter if the miniature scale is aesthetic. There are enough people who don't like it that it should be addressed on things they have the capability to fix before it is too expensive to fix. In other words, on anything that hasn't yet been produced and has molds already cut. It is what a lot of customers want and customers are the one buying the product, not IDW. As for people arguing scale is correct the only thing that will settle the argument is an official comic line-up of characters showing their accurate relative heights. Even that would probably have people arguing who's word is official what is the source, but it would help. Mind you I'm on the side of they are fine as is, but future ones should be more accurate.

In the end I'm not sure why you continue to argue the point about the card size. I'm only saying it is likely this will happen again, not that it is definitely going to happen again. Until they actually release the expansions and we see the changes, if any, we only have past performance to go on, just like any other predictions. Right now signs point to yes they will have the same size issue. The fact that IDW said they have no intentions of fixing Hero cards is a big indicator it is very possible the villain cards will be the wrong size as well. We'll just have to wait and see.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Delthos wrote:
I'm not sure why you continue to argue the point about the card size. I'm only saying it is likely this will happen again,

And I disagree. I know you're not saying it's definite, but your statement is both insulting to IDW (at leat as stated) and, I believe, unwarranted. Because...
Quote:
IDW said they have no intentions of fixing Hero cards

...to my knowledge, all they have said is they aren't going to trash and replace a whole batch of cards for an issue that doesn't affect gameplay. In fact, of all the issues mentioned so far, only a few affect gameplay: an error in the rule book, a misprinting in the adventure comics, and the KS version of April's stealth suit cost. The first two were handled with the FAQ (as is common in the industry), and the third will be replaced in City Fall. That is the best indication to me that IDW is committed to making this game as playable as can be reasonably expected. Whether they should "fix" (in whatever way) issues that do not affect gameplay is beside the point, as villain cards most certainly do affect it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
I'm just drawing a conclusion based on prior history. If they can't be bothered to do things consistently and right in the first place and then on the first expansion, what is to make people believe they will do it right in the future? I'm not sure what I can do for you if you find that insulting.

You seem to feel I expect them to reproduce everything that has issues with fixes and no problems. That isn't the case at all. I expect them to fix things on future products that haven't yet been produced before they become problems. I'm not criticizing them for the things they've fixed and the way they've done it. I'm criticizing them for the things that people feel they had an opportunity to fix and didn't and also for adding in a new problem. It doesn't matter when they actually printed the model if they don't address it and explain why it didn't change.

They certainly can and should fix certain issues on future expansions. I'm not suggesting they cut new molds for the miniatures they've produced and make new ones or reprint cards then replace them for customers. That just isn't economically feasible. What I am saying is they should make sure all cards are consistent in size and miniatures should be scaled properly. April should not look like a seven foot giant compared to the Shredder. These are basic things that they should be doing already. Until they do it and can prove to people they are doing it right, it's not insulting to state you feel it is likely they will continue messing it up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
It's fair enough to say that they have a history of "messing up" but what I haven't seen from them is a history of repeating the same mistakes. For example, the KS Works games were shipped without padding in the boxes, and several boxes were damaged; when IDW shipped replacement boxes, they were shipped with padding. Now they have produced a batch of cards that are mis-sized. I expect them to have learned from that mistake by the time City Fall is produced.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.